DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

Would it be free for Honor Club or at least Honor Club VIP? Would they get a cut of HC subs? Ditto if they did it through NJPW World.

Highspots makes sense, I didn't think of them. I just figured FITE because that's where ROH iPPVS are if you don't use Honor Club.

IIRC, it was something along the lines of remaining loyal to people or something like that and BC has done a decent amount of work with them in the past. It would also be more of a neutral choice than ROH. I'm guessing they'd have to pay companies a pretty hefty fee to use some of their talent on a stream (doubly so if it's live), so it's cool that they didn't have to touch their marketing budget.

It's a diplomatic and company-friendly response. If he actually thinks like that, well...he's certainly very well compensated relative to most people whose brain has been completely cooked by their employer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The more I think about it, the more I think they shouldn't try to live stream this. There are a few reasons: 

- I think a big part of this is that this is some "underground cool anti-WWE thing." It's Cody/The Bucks and 10,000 of their closest friends having a party to show corporate wrestling that the DIY spirit is alive and well. Streaming it has it become just another wrestling show.  

- How confident can you be that the demand won't crash any streaming site? Look at the shit that WWN and ROH has gone through? There are a large portion of the WWE mob that wants this show to fail, be shitty, be an embarrassment, so any issue at all will have the Bix's and Twitter journos and trolls shitting all over it, no matter if the show is any good or not. PROGRESS got buried for having a venue be hot once. Why even deal with it?

- This show showed the the demand far exceeded the supply. Make people want to be there. Make people regret not being there. Then you can build for the next step. Barring this being some Heroes of Wrestling-level debacle, wrestling media coverage is gonna be sympathetic, at the absolute minimum.

The play I would do is see if Hot Topic would sell this as a DVD, the same way they do with live concerts. All the people who make a point to buy every BC t-shirt would definitely purchase this show after the fact. 

So yeah...I get that the easy money play is to air it live but I think the smarter long-term play is not doing it. And,  for whatever you wanna say about the Jacksons and Cody, they have played the long game as well as anyone in wrestling the last few years.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I agree with not streaming it. The potential for disaster would sabotage all the good buzz.

Better to make it available after the fact. 

Absolutely agree. Take no chances on screwing up what is bound to be a very good thing. Even if the matches are lackluster (which I seriously doubt that they will be considering the talents involved), it's still a party for 10,000 people that VKM isn't invited to. That alone makes it worthwhile. I will so be buying the the DVD when available.

• Like 4

Guest Edwin
13 hours ago, Hagan said:

It's Cody/The Bucks and 10,000 of their closest friends...

10,000 of their closest friends...

:huh:

They can stream the event on FITE TV and there's 99.9% probability it will not crash.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

10,000 of their closest friends...

:huh:

They can stream the event on FITE TV and there's 99.9% probability it will not crash.

Mark and I are old and fear new technologies.

• Haha 2

On 5/15/2018 at 1:33 PM, Hagan said:

Isn't every entertainment event impacted in some way by scalpers or by tickets being sold on the secondary market? Is there something about this event that is making it more egregious?

I'm just a little baffled why this is such a talking point. 

As mentioned in the MYC thread, Deonna Purrazzo has reportedly signed with NXT, which makes her the first All In competitor to be signed.  Assuming she’s being brought in for the MYC, I’m guessing she’s all out now.

• Like 2

Gotta hand it to Cody.  He sold 10k tickets for him facing Nick Aldis for a title that hasn't meant anything in almost a decade.  His old man is smiling down on his boy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Gotta hand it to Cody.  He sold 10k tickets for him facing Nick Aldis for a title that hasn't meant anything in almost a decade.  His old man is smiling down on his boy.

Didn't the show sellout before Cody vs. Aldis was even announced? Selling 10k tickets on the strength of Bullet Club is fucking awesome. I can't wait until the show is out on dvd.

On 5/17/2018 at 12:03 AM, Ziggy said:

They went against the grain and did a Wrestlemania weekend type of events outside of wrestlemania its amazing. If the top Indies worked more closely together this probably could've happened 10-15 years ago but either way,  these guys pulled it off. It shows the power is in the talent and I think that is important to show that guys can creat a buzz without the Machine of Vince.

I'm wondering what comes after this.  How many of these shows a year could they do?  Could they even get the talent they had, and get a promotion out of it if they really wanted to take a risk/be ambitious.  

5 hours ago, alstein said:

I'm wondering what comes after this.  How many of these shows a year could they do?  Could they even get the talent they had, and get a promotion out of it if they really wanted to take a risk/be ambitious.  

It's too bad too, fox just spent all that money on WWE and for quite a bit less they could have started their own company that catered to a different audience. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

That title hasn't meant anything in almost 3 decades. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That title hasn't meant anything in almost 3 decades. 

I was at least giving it credit for being the #2 Belt in the US during the TNA years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

It's too bad too, fox just spent all that money on WWE and for quite a bit less they could have started their own company that catered to a different audience. 

I don't think there's a lot of national money an in super-indie promotion.  At least not yet.    There's no way possible that the All In roster could compete with WWE at all from scratch.  It could surpass ROH and Impact easily, especially if you fleshed it out with a lot of LU folks.  Also you'd probably have to keep good terms with NJPW and probably CMLL.  It would be a process- though I think if anyone could pull it off- it would be Cody.  Would be a better waste of his money than Clash of Clans.