DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

Hasn't F4E/WON done the exact same thing with WrestleMania several times, having a block of tickets that go with their Q&A?

The only the Bucks do that I find kinda distasteful is the vanity searching on Twitter.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Thanks for reminding me not to trust the Sears Center when/if they release info on the attendance in the days following the event. Or, actually, anyone that has anything to do with the show, since we’ve established anyone with a connection or financial stake in the show can’t be trusted.

I guess we have to rely on the fans counting the number of people in the arena.

Thanks for the unnecessary condescension, but a journalist with a financial stake in an event that he's covering is an untrustworthy and unethical source.  

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Thanks for the unnecessary condescension, but a journalist with a financial stake in an event that he's covering is an untrustworthy and unethical source.  

I'm legitimately asking: Do you consider him selling a block of tickets to WrestleMania something that makes him untrustworthy?

Also, I guess you won't take his word for it anyway, but he's literally said he personally has nothing to do with the VIP ticket package sales.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm legitimately asking: Do you consider him selling a block of tickets to WrestleMania something that makes him untrustworthy?

Also, I guess you won't take his word for it anyway, but he's literally said he personally has nothing to do with the VIP ticket package sales.

If he's making any money from those tickets, then yes, that is a conflict of interest.  

11 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Lol “journalist.”

17 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If he's making any money from those tickets, then yes, that is a conflict of interest.  

Face value. They've defended themselves against this kind of accusation on one of their shows shortly after they announced this idea. As has been mentioned several times, they also do this for Wrestlemania.

They're making their money from a small group of people willing to pay money to listen to them do a live show and maybe get the chance to ask a question.

And, it's almost certainly Bryan not Dave who put this together. Kinda the separating editorial and advertising thing.

If you want to call Bryan compromised, well... Who cares?

Bryan's more of the same opinion of those who are critical of the ROH/NJPW style in here too. Like, I get the feeling he wants to call out Dave for enabling Ospreay's insane bumping by not criticizing him more severely/directly (Dave says he hates it but then gives the Ospreay match like 5 stars). When they review the NJPW big shows together, Alvarez is far more diplomatic when it comes to critiquing the stupid bumps than when Bryan's talking about it with Vinny and Alvarez is the dominant voice. He was ranting about subtracting a "whole" star rating from the Ospreay/Kushida match at Dontaku because of the neck bump. He's all about less is more. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm way behind.  So basically they sold out and how many actual bodies do we expect to be there?  Not that it matters.  I'd think if they legit sold 10,000 tickets then there should be 8000 there at least. 

As of 11:40 PM EDT tonight, there were only 333 total seats available on Stubhub. So if a bunch of bots/scalpers somehow got them, they haven't listed them yet(which would be odd compared to most hot-selling concerts & sporting events).

So, IMO, I'd lean towards actual fans who want to be there as the ones who got the significant majority of the tickets today and the building will be close to full.

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

The issue with this show is people have dismissed these guys as money draws, have argued that the wrestling style they all champion is killing the industry and suggested that they’re not as popular as they claim to be.

I think the most surprising thing to me is that there isn't as much crossover between WWE crowds and super indies as maybe there once was.  A lot of guys who were popular on the indies get no reaction on WWE shows;  205 Live especially is just dead.  Nobody knows the guys,  it's late and nobody cares. It's a good show with good talent but the WWE casual fan could not care less. 

I'm happy for what is happening with indy wrestling and the expansion of NJPW its offering a real alternative to people who are done with WWE.   

WWE will always be king at this point.  It's an institution.  They may have lost some diehards and definitely a lot of casuals but they replenish the fan base enough to where it will always be.  Creative is still pretty crappy but there's enough watchable talent so that the machine keeps rolling on.  

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, there's one little bone of contention I have with saying they drew a lot of money today. I think it's awesome they sold out. That should be looked at as a huge success.

What they made today is going to go towards using the building, paying off workers, etc. For them to draw a lot of money, they're going to need many of these tickets sold to show up, buy concessions, buy merch, and more. I think they will do that, but I felt it was worth pointing out that they haven't crossed the finish line yet. 

Honestly, looking at the ticket prices, if they had only sold the most expensive 2,000 tickets in the building, it's a gate of over $200,000. Whether sold to fans, or a combination of fans and scalpers, they sold all 10,000 tickets. That gate is well over $500,000. They could sell zero merch, concessions, etc. and still meet payroll for what's honestly an indie show that could've taken place in front of 1,000 people, and also each buy a few new cars with their cut of the profits. 

3 hours ago, daveprazak said:

Honestly, looking at the ticket prices, if they had only sold the most expensive 2,000 tickets in the building, it's a gate of over $200,000. Whether sold to fans, or a combination of fans and scalpers, they sold all 10,000 tickets. That gate is well over $500,000. They could sell zero merch, concessions, etc. and still meet payroll for what's honestly an indie show that could've taken place in front of 1,000 people, and also each buy a few new cars with their cut of the profits. 

"A few new cars?"

Don't be silly. Cody would waste all his profit money on Clash of Clans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This thread sure got pretty hilarious talking about Meltzer's ethics and being in the AllIn gang's pocket. Friends, he's been in a variety of wrestlers pockets from day one whether its them leaking news to try and get themselves a pay rise or just feeding him misinfortmation.

Nobody truly thinks of him as a 'journalist', he was just the original insider back when no one outside of the biz was.

But if you want to continue to chat utter bollocks here's a cute lil hashtag for ya: #itsaboutethicsinwrestlingjournalism

Not fans of those involved but I'm made up for the gang for pulling this off

40 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

This thread sure got pretty hilarious talking about Meltzer's ethics and being in the AllIn gang's pocket. Friends, he's been in a variety of wrestlers pockets from day one whether its them leaking news to try and get themselves a pay rise or just feeding him misinfortmation.

Nobody truly thinks of him as a 'journalist', he was just the original insider back when no one outside of the biz 

This.