DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What they made today is going to go towards using the building, paying off workers, etc. For them to draw a lot of money, they're going to need many of these tickets sold to show up, buy concessions, buy merch, and more. I think they will do that, but I felt it was worth pointing out that they haven't crossed the finish line yet. 

Do you have any numbers on this, or are you just saying it? Shows don’t have to sell out to be a financial success. When apw ran the cow palace last year, they drew somewhere between 2-3k with mostly $25 tickets and it was a financial success. The cow palace is certainly cheaper than this venue, but they are already making money here for sure. And for sure all the die hard fans are going to buy whatever exclusive shirt there is and a ton of other merch. These guys hit a grand slam. 

I also still don’t get all the scalper talk either. Right now 283 tickets on stubhub, less than 3%. I know there’s other avenues but this seems like an insignificant number. 

Im no bullet club fan boy either, don’t own any merch, although I do like them. As a wrestling fan, this is an awesome day. Long live wrestling. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Was pointed out on today's Observer update that of the 10k tickets sold only about 200 are now on StubHub. SummerSlam sold roughly 13k and around 4k are right now on StubHub. 

I guess you never got the memo that Meltzer isn’t to be trusted anymore. It’s all over the internet these days. And it’s leaked onto this board a little, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s hard to say how sustainable this is, though. This is very much a first time ever thing. Those initial round of NXT house shows did better than the current rounds do. Some of that is talent but a lot is the novelty.

If you consider the tens of thousands of people that travel from all over the world to come to Mania and Mania week, them sellling a ton of tickets (to fans and/or scalpers) should not be a complete surprise. It seems similar to the instant sellouts in Reseda. And not totally dissimilar for pop culture sellouts like Comicon or NYCC. In a global society with plenty of people with disposable income, you really only need a percentage of even a niche audience to potentially be successful/profitable.

32 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Do you have any numbers on this, or are you just saying it? Shows don’t have to sell out to be a financial success. When apw ran the cow palace last year, they drew somewhere between 2-3k with mostly $25 tickets and it was a financial success. The cow palace is certainly cheaper than this venue, but they are already making money here for sure. And for sure all the die hard fans are going to buy whatever exclusive shirt there is and a ton of other merch. These guys hit a grand slam. 

I also still don’t get all the scalper talk either. Right now 283 tickets on stubhub, less than 3%. I know there’s other avenues but this seems like an insignificant number. 

Im no bullet club fan boy either, don’t own any merch, although I do like them. As a wrestling fan, this is an awesome day. Long live wrestling. 

Hence why I said I'm confident they'll draw a large gate and sell a bunch of merch, but just that those actual things haven't happened yet. 

Just now, Craig H said:

Hence why I said I'm confident they'll draw a large gate and sell a bunch of merch, but just that those actual things haven't happened yet. 

They already drew the large gate because every ticket was sold. That's 100% been accomplished.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Right on, I hear you. With none of us knowing the numbers, I’d say it’s my belief that they already made a big profit today. Cody said today that his secret realistic goal was selling 4K tickets on the first day. They didn’t go into this realistically expecting to lose money. I bet the break even point is right above 4K, say maybe 5-6k. I bet they made a lot of money. 

And, look, this probably ends up on Fite for 15 bucks or whatever. If they sell 20,000 ippv buys and get a 50/50 split, that's just more money rolling in. Even after the outlay to stream it.

And, also, look at the people booked: outside of Rey, who is the highest per appearance indy act, there’s not a lot of high dollar acts here. Okada and Omega, of course, but imagine they’re in for under their going rate.  Like, you sold the tickets, you don’t NEED a Punk or some outlier to draw your crowd. Remarkable stuff.

• Like 2

I wonder what kind of cut the Bucks and Cody and other BC members will take from this. I'd like to think that maybe they'd take less to pay the rest of the talent more unless they really make money hand over fist and then they can take more of a cut.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Anyway, the real enjoyment will be when Vince crushes these generally unlikable  human beings and their even more unlikable fanbase for their hubris.

but full credit to them today.

Every interview I've heard with the Bucks and Cody have shown them to be lovely people.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Every interview I've heard with the Bucks and Cody have shown them to be lovely people.

I’d also say, from seeing how they interact with fans on social media. I enjoy the young bucks match’s, although I can see how some people aren’t fans, but just from how they are with fans and watching bte, as well as how they are succeeding outside of wwe and creating paths for others is what really made me a fan. 

• Like 1

Why don’t you just explain what you mean instead of using weird metaphors and just making statements where you call people or a group of people “horrible human beings” with no context whatsoever?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They're kind of the Amanda Palmer of wrestlers. Again, I give them full credit for success though.

(I wonder if that makes Meltzer Neil Gaiman?)

Duran Duran fan book era Gaiman. :)

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess you never got the memo that Meltzer isn’t to be trusted anymore. It’s all over the internet these days. And it’s leaked onto this board a little, too.

Meltzer was selling tickets through his website, so no, he has no credibility when he reports on this event.

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Maybe they just sound more sinister at 1.5x speed?

This is an all-time post. Kudos.

And actually, yeah...what is the beef towards the Elite guys? I mean, I get that Cody is a little self-involved and the nWo/DX vaudeville act isn’t everyone’s bag but all those dudes seem like genuinely decent people irrespective of their wrestling psychology. Am I missing something where these guys are huge assholes or something?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Meltzer was selling tickets through his website, so no, he has no credibility when he reports on this event.

Thanks for reminding me not to trust the Sears Center when/if they release info on the attendance in the days following the event. Or, actually, anyone that has anything to do with the show, since we’ve established anyone with a connection or financial stake in the show can’t be trusted.

I guess we have to rely on the fans counting the number of people in the arena.

• Like 2

Just now, Casey said:

Thanks for reminding me not to trust the Sears Center when/if they release info on the attendance in the days following the event. Or, actually, anyone that has anything to do with the show, since we’ve established anyone with a connection or financial stake in the show can’t be trusted.

I guess we have to rely on the fans counting the number of people in the arena.

Can’t wait for Bix’s expose on the conflicts of interests of this show. :)