DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

I've also decided to also take up the position of smugly saying this isn't as cool as all the kids are saying it is. That way if it turns out a failure I'll be the king.

Your excitement and support sickens me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Anyway, the real enjoyment will be when Vince crushes these generally unlikable  human beings and their even more unlikable fanbase for their hubris.

but full credit to them today.

Vince tried that and the result was they became even more popular and sold a ridiculous amount of shirts taking the piss out of Vince's actions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I doubt Vince even aware of most of BC.

Someone was aware enough of them to send them legal threats which ended up backfiring spectacularly.

Triple H is aware of at least what the Bullet Club is, maybe not the current members. He definitely knows who Omega is. And it's not a giant leap to assume he knows who the Young Bucks are.

Vince McMahon might not be aware of this show, but then again, he's not aware of what his own fanbase wants so who really cares what he does and doesn't know of? The people that are going to replace him are very aware.

Unmitigated success and a lot of people who have hot takes about the popularity of these guys, the passion of independent wrestling fans and the ability of this modern style of wrestling to draw money should be embarassed.

Shitting on this event or these guys is no different than Skip Bayless trolling Lebron.

• Like 5

This backlash against the event made me so upset that I bought a $1500 ticket from a scalper just to show how serious I am about supporting indy wrestling.

(I did not actually do this)

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Unmitigated success and a lot of people who have hot takes about the popularity of these guys, the passion of independent wrestling fans and the ability of this modern style of wrestling to draw money should be embarassed.

Shitting on this event or these guys is no different than Skip Bayless trolling Lebron.

So, by this logic, everyone shitting on WWE when they had their greatest quarter ever should be embarrassed?

People like what they like.   People can give props for selling the 10k while giving shit for stacking the deck in their favor.  People can respect the hustle while still having the opinion that the people involved range from drizzling shits to merely solid hand in the Ring.  In the end it's all opinion.  The analogy rings hollow because in the end, wrestling is subjective. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Really wish this could be an ippv but I’m assuming all the different companies with contracted talent make that impossible. 

Cody said there were no current plans to stream it, but "never say never" and "it's possible for sure".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Does this maybe confirm that we're in a boom period for independent wrestling? Or maybe this is the apex of it? 

Oh, we're clearly in a boom period for Indies, and have been for some time.  Whether this is Peak Indy just depends on what Cody and the Bucks' plan is for their next step, if there is one, because they're clearly the ones driving the bus right now.

WWE is doing great and making money hand over fist. A lot of that is due to the escalators in the rights fee, obviously, but arguing that WWE is doing poorly financially is idiotic. Yes, if you shit on WWE’s financial success, you should be embarassed. Now, if you don’t like the creative, that’s fine

The issue with this show is people have dismissed these guys as money draws, have argued that the wrestling style they all champion is killing the industry and suggested that they’re not as popular as they claim to be. And they sold 10,000 tickets in an hour for a show that had one announced match. This is industry-changing stuff and in an era where people literally say that only Brock Lesnar and John Cena actually sell tickets, this development should cause a lot of people to reconsider things. Bucks, Cody, Omega just proved themselves to be A-level draws in this country.

That said, feel free to think they’re shit wrestlers, bad people or think that the show will under-deliver, which it probably will, but they drew a lot of money today.

• Like 6

We might be in a boom period for the Indies although the first real boom for independent wrestling for the entire US and not just a region to me was around 2001 - 2003.   But because All In can get 10K people or scalpers or whatever buying tickets doesn't necessarily mean much for companies NOT using the Bullet Club.  I mean it isn't like EVOLVE or GCW or PWG can start putting their shows on ticketmaster and business would be booming.   

So, there's one little bone of contention I have with saying they drew a lot of money today. I think it's awesome they sold out. That should be looked at as a huge success.

What they made today is going to go towards using the building, paying off workers, etc. For them to draw a lot of money, they're going to need many of these tickets sold to show up, buy concessions, buy merch, and more. I think they will do that, but I felt it was worth pointing out that they haven't crossed the finish line yet. 

• Like 3

Just now, Craig H said:

So, there's one little bone of contention I have with saying they drew a lot of money today. I think it's awesome they sold out. That should be looked at as a huge success.

What they made today is going to go towards using the building, paying off workers, etc. For them to draw a lot of money, they're going to need many of these tickets sold to show up, buy concessions, buy merch, and more. I think they will do that, but I felt it was worth pointing out that they haven't crossed the finish line yet. 

Was pointed out on today's Observer update that of the 10k tickets sold only about 200 are now on StubHub. SummerSlam sold roughly 13k and around 4k are right now on StubHub. 

• Like 1

The one thing that is definitely shows is that the only reason for the Young bucks or even Cody Rhodes for that matter to go/back to the WWE is to show people they can.  This kind of proved they don't need anything WWE related to be big time.  Would actually be a money loss unless something horrible happens to them

• Like 3