DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

18 hours ago, cubbymark said:

There's no real public transit access to the Sears Center on weekends. As others have pointed out, Hoffman Estates is NOT Chicago. 

Now that I have had a chance to digest this, they could have run Toyota Park in Bridgeview, home of the Chicago Fire. Capacity is 20,000 for soccer, can accommodate many. Hell, they could have sold their magic number and papered the hell out  of the rest of the stadium, while selling a shitload of Bullet Club shirts. Windy Pro Wrestling ran a show or two there when they were still a thing, and the village of Bridgeview would have been receptive to hosting it as they are still in the hole for the facility as a whole.

Weather is nice in September, the venue is fairly close to Midway Airport, and PACE runs a shuttle from Midway to Toyota Park for every event. It would have been an outdoor show, but it's something that could have worked.

It flew kinda under the radar, but Greg Valentine sued Windy City, Toyota Park, and the City of Bridgeview after he got "injured" at that show. He won. Windy City folded, and no pro wrestling has been there since. Green guys on that show mentioned how they provided Valentine with the liquor he requested as soon as he got to the show, so... yeah. After all that, we won't see more wrestling shows there.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if wwe-affiliated podcasts (Austin, Jericho, e&c) will do the convention.

Jericho is likely to be there.

He has a knack for getting involved with the biggest wrestling stuff.

31 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I read that as "Sears Centre is about 90 minutes and $14 worth of trolls from my house." and was so confused.

Well, you have to pay the troll that lives under the bridge otherwise he won't let you cross, duh.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Hot Take: Always Sunny references should be the new Seinfeld references

Be careful with that.  You'll end up with a new handle under your profile name.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Fenix and Pentagon both held titles in AAW which runs the same area.  They'd definitely be over in front of that crowd and as they're hot properties in the indy scene in general it would make sense to try and get them on the show.

Would New Japan be ok with AAA guys against their guys?   Bros vs Bucks seems like a great semi-main for the show.

I believe the original plan for the Highspots super show at Mania weekend was Lovers vs. Lucha Bros but NJPW nixed it after CMLL complained. This could be all made up but I remember reading it on the F4W site. Did Big Dave report such a thing?

6 hours ago, alstein said:

Would New Japan be ok with AAA guys against their guys?   Bros vs Bucks seems like a great semi-main for the show.

They've wrestled before, but it was in a 6 man at a PWG show.  This show seems to be more closely promoted with ROH/NJPW so I don't know how much influence the powers that be have over the booking.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:04 PM, Tromatagon said:

Chicago still has a lot of lucha shows.  Shit, lucha was popular enough there that Chicago has it's own fake  Mini Charly Manson

I don't disagree with any of that. My main point is that the potential audiences for the conventions wouldn't crash into each other all that much. I'm sure there's a value in tossing some money Pentagon's way and getting him and Rey Fenix or someone to skip the lucha convention and get on the card itself, sure. That said, the idea of cubsfan making a reverse commute to the Vegas convention instead while everyone else is making a crazy, religious pilgrimage to Chicago is kind of amusing. 

21 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I read that as "Sears Centre is about 90 minutes and $14 worth of trolls from my house." and was so confused.

Hoffman Estates trolls. Chicago-level trolls at suburban discounts. Like Gurnee Mills.

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

They've wrestled before, but it was in a 6 man at a PWG show.  This show seems to be more closely promoted with ROH/NJPW so I don't know how much influence the powers that be have over the booking.

NJPW isn't okay with AAA guys vs their guys.

Fenix and Penta aren't AAA guys.

The Bar Wrestling angle was nuclear. So much fun. Joey Ryan vs. Hangman Page: the people go banana. Guy was holding another man's penis for a cool minute there very casually while grown men scream like little girls. Wrestling in 2018 is the best. But everybody taking their phones out and filming The Elite at the start makes 2018 wrestling the worst at the same time.

I did enjoy them not having a standard face-to-face standard but also a meeting of the minds squared, if you will.

Cody is so delightfully over the top on this show now. Amazing that this started out as the jet-lagged Bucks just trying not to go crazy on the road by filming their travels. Would love to know the process of when they decided to turn this into basically a scripted show.