DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I get that, but it isn’t like they’re only booking guys who have never benifitted from WWE’s profile. Cody is right there, after all, and Punk was at least an “indie guy” first.

Sure. I’m just saying that if they need Punk to sell this out, they’ve lost the talking point of how hot Indy wrestling is. 

I don’t disagree with that; I just don’t think the talking point matters to them as anything but advertising. It’s as true as people are willing to pay for. The 10,000 goal, the independent ascendance angle, etc., are all part of a narrative they’re selling. “Come be a part of this community,” essentially, which is not unlike most ad campaigns. People will pay to feel included and important, and that’s the end goal here, to make money now and increase their profile/value later. Anything else is a means to that end.

And I don’t mean this as cynically as it may sound. I’ve no doubt they believe some (most?) of what they’re selling, and I’m pretty close to buying it myself (a ticket, not the story). But advertising is advertising, true, false, or indifferent.

My sister used to work conventions at McCormick Place, and the union costs associated with doing things there are cost-prohibitive. Vendors would have to pay ridiculous amounts of money even for a can of Coca-Cola. 

I'd love it if they did it there because it would be running the city proper, but for a self-financed venture, even with PWT, they'd have to sell a fuck ton of merch just to break even. 

Remember - there is a high probability that Punk is going to fight on UFC 225 which is June 9.

So I am not sure how much he would want to turn around after getting his ass kicked and get back into a pro wrestling mindset.

8 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

After getting his ass handed to him again?  Yeah, I doubt Dana would have a problem with it.  

Isn't the guy he's rumored to be fighting pretty much on his same level of awful?

On 2/11/2018 at 8:03 PM, cubbymark said:

My sister used to work conventions at McCormick Place, and the union costs associated with doing things there are cost-prohibitive. Vendors would have to pay ridiculous amounts of money even for a can of Coca-Cola. 

I’ve heard the same thing about the union costs at Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates.  

I had been thinking Golden Lovers vs. Young Bucks could be on this show (maybe main event it?), but with GL reappearing on the Honor Rising shows, it's starting to look like that match might happen even sooner than September.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:09 PM, RIPPA said:

Remember - there is a high probability that Punk is going to fight on UFC 225 which is June 9.

So I am not sure how much he would want to turn around after getting his ass kicked and get back into a pro wrestling mindset.

With how Punk fights he will have plenty of time for both. 

On 2018-02-11 at 8:32 PM, Beech27 said:

I don’t disagree with that; I just don’t think the talking point matters to them as anything but advertising.

Thats true, but if they don't draw a huge crowd without Punk or Daniel then next time they'll have even harder time with "indie wrestling is hot thing" slogan.