DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

IMO isn't QED. You had an opinion; people had an opinion about it. You didn't support yours in a way anyone found compelling; they said so. No one is arguing that you have to abandon this opinion, but stating (again and again) that you have it doesn't constitute an argument for it. 

Since this post can hardly be less productive, here's some silly bait. Danielson vs Scurll confirmed, everyone!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

IMO isn't QED. You had an opinion; people had an opinion about it. You didn't support yours in a way anyone found compelling; they said so. No one is arguing that you have to abandon this opinion, but stating (again and again) that you have it doesn't constitute an argument for it. 

Since this post can hardly be less productive, here's some silly bait. Danielson vs Scurll confirmed, everyone!

Ahh. The good 'ol days of ROH.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If the show succeeds, despite who might be running it, the independent scene becomes that much stronger.

Even if you don't like the talent involved, why would you root for it to fail?  What do you get out of it besides getting to act smug on the Internet?

Exactly. It's some fucking mark on the internet who wants to be right at the expense of hundreds of people. Hell, arguably thousands if you look at what it would do for indy wrestling as a whole.

I don't give a fuck if it's an opinion. It's fucking wrong. Be a man an admit you were wrong and didn't think your bullshit through before you decided to type out your "hot take."

• Like 3

On 1/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, odessasteps said:

In theory, if bola is 3 nights, what’s to keep people from working the Cody show one of the three nights? 

Exactly.  Nights 1 and 2 are the first round of the tournament, split evenly, while night 3 is the rest of the tournament.  A guy could win on night 1, take night 2 off to do the Cody/Bucks show, then come back to finish up for night 3.  Or just lose on night 1 and that's it. 

Also, there has to be someone insane enough to try and work both shows in one night. Say it's in Chicago... Penta OM and Rey Fenix go on early, haul ass to Midway Airport, fly to LAX and then haul ass to Reseda for the main event. It's a huge schlep but not 100% impossible if they run a long, late show at PWG.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Also, there has to be someone insane enough to try and work both shows in one night. Say it's in Chicago... Penta OM and Rey Fenix go on early, haul ass to Midway Airport, fly to LAX and then haul ass to Reseda for the main event. It's a huge schlep but not 100% impossible if they run a long, late show at PWG.

That's about a 4 hour flight, right?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Not going to lie, if the All In show is in Chicago and I hear "The Final Countdown" or "Miseria Cantare," I'll probably shit my pants.

Would you bring an extra pair of underwear and pants in anticipation of shitting your pants? Would you rely on the toilet paper in the venue bathrooms, which is most likely flimsy, one ply or do you bring your own cottony, two ply roll?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If the show succeeds, despite who might be running it, the independent scene becomes that much stronger.

Even if you don't like the talent involved, why would you root for it to fail?  What do you get out of it besides getting to act smug on the Internet?

What does he get out of it if it succeeds? Same as if it fails, nothing.

There's a lot of people in this thread jumping down his throat who go into sports threads and squeal with glee when someone gets fired, or a team they don't like sucks. I don't see much difference between that and this.

44 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Nah, I would do the CM Punk thing and use a waded up Otis Spunkmeyer muffin wrapper from my pocket to wipe my ass with. Can't rely on 1 ply toilet paper.

If you want to do the CM Punk thing make sure to go to a strip club afterwards and tip the dancer a filet-o-fish sandwich.  She'll love it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

That's about a 4 hour flight, right?

4.5 hours or so non-stop.

Chicago bell time: 6pm (3pm Pacific)

Flight leaves MDW 8pm (5pm)
Flight arrives at LAX 10pm

PWG main event: 11pm

Not totally out of the realm of possibility.

19 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If you want to do the CM Punk thing make sure to go to a strip club afterwards and tip the dancer a filet-o-fish sandwich.  She'll love it!

Along the same lines, some homeless people don't like it when you give them a sandwich rather than money.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dewar said:

What does he get out of it if it succeeds? Same as if it fails, nothing.

There's a lot of people in this thread jumping down his throat who go into sports threads and squeal with glee when someone gets fired, or a team they don't like sucks. I don't see much difference between that and this.

A team sucking doesn't mean everyone on that team loses an opportunity. When someone gets fired from a team, chances are, that person is really, really bad at their job and they're part of the reason for holding that team back from achieving something greater. And it's one person.

This is rooting for a group of people, a large group of people that includes road crew and production folks, to fail and they want them to fail just because they don't like the wrestling style for 2 or 3 of the people involved. That's incredibly petty.

EDIT: Regarding one person being fired from a team, not only that, but chances are good that person will find work elsewhere. Sometimes right away. If the All In guys fail, that kills the chances for anyone else trying something similar for a good long while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Reminds me of ASW management shit-talking ECCW in Vancouver when the Commodore shows were successful. It was petty, childish...and expected from the idiot that did it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's not like this shit was handed to them on a silver platter.

If we're being honest, half the guys currently in Bullet Club are riding the coattails of the guys who used to be in Bullet Club.

21 hours ago, България завинаги said:

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure that match really works as Mysterio just doesn't have the offence. Jericho snugged-up on his Codebreaker and used chairs etc, but what can Rey do?

He's one of the best workers in wrestling history.  I'm sure he could figure something out.

56 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

He's one of the best workers in wrestling history.  I'm sure he could figure something out.

When was his last really great match against a non-lucha guy?

I just watched him vs Ospreay from last year and it was decent an' all, though he botched the finish and probably one or two other things as well. My original point about offence is probably a bit questionable in retrospect as he could do Tornado DDTs and Sunset Bombs and stiff kicks and just about make that work. But it's a stretch.

Obviously Mysterio and Omega could have a great match, whether putting them together in this context is the best use of either of them is something I would question.