DVDVR Message Board

The Cody Rhodes/YB All In Show Thread

3 hours ago, cubbymark said:

The return of Dragon Soldier B.

You joke, but I was there live to see that bullshit.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

And @Shibata Is My Homie, if you are against people you abhor doing a show, think about the ones you actually like that may be on there.  If it's a success that's good for whoever's on there you do like.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Yeah, the Bucks literally named a spot after his father last year. If it's in California, he'll be there.

Hearing Dave talk about just how much that spot meant to him and how cathartic it was made me love the Bucks even more. That was probably the coolest moment in wrestling for all of last year.

• Like 2

Yeah.  I don't particlarly enjoy watching anyone in Bullet Club West outside of Omega, but none of them are known scumbags, so I'm not really wishing failure on these guys and this show.  While companies book them strong, I won't deny their hustle in promoting themselves, working on shit to get noticed and look a big deal, and at least catering to what people paying to see them want.  If anything, I'm rooting for them to hit the mark, because it would be extremely important for the US Wrestling Scene and a huge win if a non-WWE produced show drew a huge number.  If the "Only Vince can get a huge number in the US" hurdle is cleared, it's a good foundation for someone to build on.

• Like 3

While not a fan of the Bucks or Scrull, you have to applaud their work ethic. The Bucks have created their own global brand, and helped globally enhance the Bullet Club brand, so that both make a lot of money outside the WWE machine. And that pic Cody tweeted of Scrull painstakingly putting his Final Battle outfit together by hand, alone, backstage...that type of dedication and attention to detail is priceless on the indies.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

While not a fan of the Bucks or Scrull, you have to applaud their work ethic. The Bucks have created their own global brand, and helped globally enhance the Bullet Club brand, so that both make a lot of money outside the WWE machine. And that pic Cody tweeted of Scrull painstakingly putting his Final Battle outfit together by hand, alone, backstage...that type of dedication and attention to detail is priceless on the indies.

You know, I've said many times that I can't stand Scrull's ringwork, but after seeing that, it's really hard to not respect the guy. Now if only he  showed the same dedication to his craft in the ring, we'd really have something.

• Like 5

I'm not the Bucks' biggest fan, but I love what they've done for themselves. They've gone global, swimming in money, bought houses, their merch is flying off the store shelves, and now they're setting the stage for the biggest non-WWE show in the US since the Clinton administration. They are living the dream in every sense of the word, and I couldn't be happier for them.

• Like 5

On 1/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, RIPPA said:

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet - the four finalists for locations are Chicago, London, San Fran and Ontario, California

Odd enough PROGRESS is running the Wembley Arena which fits 10K fans for 9/30.

Not that that means anything, but just putting it out there as they seem to be trying to reach the same milestone in the same month...

None of the guys announced, even all together, can draw a 10k house. They can't get Danielson because his contract doesn't end until 9/29. Even if they went with Punk and Chicago, I don't know if they can do it.

I think that underestimates the cult-like following for Punk. He alone can't do it, but if you got the people announced so far, plus Punk, Jericho, maybe a couple NJPW guys, and set the prices low enough, I think they could do it.

Fuck. This is starting to feel more and more like the Blues Brothers on a mission from god. 

Regarding the Bucks and Scurll, I like them both. I laughed my ass off at Chuckie's tweet about just having to appreciate Scurll for just consistently refusing to catch anyone, but that's a knock against the guy. I know some people hate the finger breaking spot, but that shit works for people in the cheap seats. Scurll's face, body language, and that sound really fucking work. You can knock him for it, but that shit would make money in WWE. People shit all over John Cena for the 5 knuckle shuffle, having very exaggerated movements, and what not, but that stuff is as much for the folks up front as it is for everyone at the back or top of the arena. I see the Bucks in a similar light. These guys can work any kind of match they want to work. They can fuck around one night and the do what they did at the Dome the next. They're not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. Wrestling is full of folks that no one is going to universally like, but you have to at least respect their hustle. It's not like this shit was handed to them on a silver platter. They all bust their asses harder than most.

• Like 2

I'm not convinced getting Indy guys from PWG is what's going to help the draw.

Ultimately you want a couple of indy guys, a couple of other WWE guys, maybe a couple of ECW old-timers. You do need something to sell, but ultimately it's about getting out there and selling it - and my bet is they will indeed go 'all in' with that.

ICW have drawn 4000+ 3 years on the bounce in Glasgow iirc. This stuff can be done.

I'm not convinced Punk will wrestle on the show. But special guest ref? Yeah I can see that easily enough - and I think that might even be enough - ultimately people really want a pipe bomb more than anything else.

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think getting lucha names would also help, whether it's Penta/Fenix era or Wagner/Park era. Presumably Rey would be too costly.

ICW brought him in for their last Fear & Loathing; it could be they were loss-leading somehow but I doubt it.

I would expect to see a few names from various eras. Mysterio, Morrison/Mundo/Impact, Sabu, Ellsworth.

omg, I can smell that V-Trigger blocked and turned into a 619 attempt spot from here. But in all seriousness, I'm not sure that match really works as Mysterio just doesn't have the offence. Jericho snugged-up on his Codebreaker and used chairs etc, but what can Rey do?

Rey, RVD & Ospreay vs Scurll & Young Bucks? 

If they don't get some luchadors on this they're fools. Small lucha shows in predominantly Hispanic areas tend to draw pretty well without ever advertising to the mainstream wrestling fans. Promote in those areas, sell tickets. Keep hustling