DVDVR Message Board

NJPW The New Beginning 2018

Raziel

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Better yet, new look for a Philly Sapporo winter. 

Especially since they were hit by a gargantuan snowstorm and still almost sold out both shows.

• Like 1

Looking at the lineups, looks like they slotted Elgin into Tanahashi's spots over the rest of the tour in the Taguchi Japan vs. Suzuki-gun tags, and Henare is slotted into Elgin's spots in the six mans with Robinson and Finlay vs. CHAOS.  Monday and Tuesday have the Korakuen shows, with has a CHAOS vs. LIJ 10 man Elimination tag on Monday and the Okada/Goto vs. EVIL/SANADA Tag title match on Tuesday.

I wonder how this elimination tag will compare with the Tsuruta/Misawa elimination tag from the early '90s. It's such a fantastic concept that can really get over a lot of wrestlers at once and tell a wealth of different stories.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, Craig H said:

Is there anything to read into Nick's shirt changing from a Kenny shirt in one shot to a Cody shot in a different shot from the same scene?

I took it as Nick being conflicted about which side to choose, especially after they talked with Kenny and Kota in the last episode.  It at least to me looked like a visual representation of that.

And I love BTE, the last two episodes have been absolutely phenomenal.  Such a great out-of-the-box way to get the story across and it's being done so, so well.

Umino stepped up to fill the Kawato role at today's show. Looked very good in there against Taguchi. Really fun opener. 

Oka's giant head and new skinny body cannot not pop me. Guy is just hilarious. Oldest looking 25 year old. Super solid, good fire. Could be really good. I liked Hikule'o disrespecting him. He's developing some personality slowly but surely. 

Okada’s in an interesting place that way; the crowd mostly loves him, but also loves the idea of someone—anyone!—beating him; but who knows whether they’ll love someone else being champion? 

But yeah, good match, good show. I really like the emphasis on individual animus rather than factions just wrestling... because. And Switchblade’s doing better already, I think. 

Making slow progress through the new batch of shows and Minoru was particularly abusive towards the young boys on Monday's show. He absolutely wore out that one kid's ass with a chair. I didn't catch which one, as Yagi and Oka were holding on and the poor sum'bitch came late to the party and Suzuki took advantage of him. Brutal and not in a "cool" way.

I was completely out of the loop during that period, but he had a match with Suzuki in '06 and there's a significant gap of time between that and his next listed match on cagematch. He'd retire later on in '07.

I flippin' forgot that the 10-man tag from Monday's show also had over-the-top eliminations, which kills it. Last year's was basically an exhibition match and while this year's is a little bit better, it really takes the weight out of the match because the top guys are going over the top to avoid taking a fall. AJPW and later NOAH really had a great understanding in how big those kind of elimination tags or captain's fall tags could be in furthering a story. This was just a match. Show as a whole wasn't much. Switchblade looked good wrestling from the top against Finlay. Good mixture of arrogance, disregard for the opponent's health (that back suplex over the top to the outside got a huge reaction), and athleticism. I'd like to see an even more ruthless side to his character and hopefully that will develop over the next few months. The young boys against the senior juniors (huh?) opening tag completely overdelivered and is well worth a watch. I'll say this about the main event, Ospreay and Hiromu keep adding layers to their exchanges. Reversals that used to work are now getting reversed themselves. Smart and they are going 88 mph. Oh and I was all about that "I FACKIN' LOVE Nandos!"

edit: okay, I went back and re-watched some of the main event I passed out watching previously and it was really well put together and a great match. Still don't like the over-the-top stuff but they milked it for everything they could and got fantastic crowd reactions. Disappointed Yoshi-Hashi didn't go over in the end to make him an even somewhat believable threat to Naito.

The Youtube videos with subtitles are the best. Finally knowing what Taichi is saying helps so much. HEAVYWEIGHT TAICHI!

Juice saying to Henare "Get your Tatanka ass over here... Get over here Chief Jay Strongbow Jr." is a close second best. Juice is fuckin' 6'3"!

5 hours ago, Control said:

Didn’t Suzuki pretty much end Brute Issei’s career (hey, remember that guy?)? If memory serves, he quite deliberately separated his shoulder.

Its been a while, but I think its more like it started with Suzuki though in general Issei had issues that made the injury keep reemerging.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Switchblade looked good wrestling from the top against Finlay. Good mixture of arrogance, disregard for the opponent's health (that back suplex over the top to the outside got a huge reaction), and athleticism. I'd like to see an even more ruthless side to his character and hopefully that will develop over the next few months.

I think that Jay has been slightly improving in every match that he has so it will be really interesting to see how he looks in a year or two. Where exactly is his ceiling? I'll say something crazy, but if he keeps improving on such consistent pace then I won't be surprised that if Omega leaves NJPW in 2019 general reaction will be "meh, we got Jay".

If Jay's reign as IWGP US Champ is him defending against beatable gaijin I'm all for it. The Page match could raise both guys' stock, Jeff Cobb would be fun, ZSJ's right there, something with Ospreay after he drops the Junior belt, both Bucks on separate nights of the same tour, whatever.

Thoughts after watching the second Korakuen show:

- I adore the New Beginning music. I need that in my life but it doesn't appear to be online anywhere. :(

- I am digging Suzuki/Nameless Peasant AKA Makabe way more than I thought I would. Kudos to them for making what seemed like a time filler feud matter.

- Tag title match was great and I clapped like an idiot for Sanada's reversal of the Rainmaker. That's two eye popping counters he's pulled out in as many shows. The crowd was VERY into him. He's improving in the Little Things department but I'd still like to see the odd bit of desperation out of Cold Skull. It's totally fine not to show it in rando six/eight man tags, but in these big moments, it would make the world of difference to show some semblance of emotion. Maybe he's saving it for the 10th. There was that stretch where Goto had the advantage over him and was pushing him to his limits but then he just hit his beautiful springboard dropkick counter and was cool 'n' shit. He's like one or two missing pieces away from being Top Guy level and I really, really want him to get there and it seems like both Gedo and the audience do too. Omega's talked about him being too passive and Okada has basically called him out during this feud, so I don't want to say it's now or never but if they have "just another match" Saturday it may be a huge blow for him. He's Lookin' Real Jacked (baby) for this tour and his physique is basically prime Tanahashi's. With his physical abilities and looks, I can see why NJPW wants him to succeed.

- Gedo stealing Bushi's masks is the best undercard storyline possible. Fucking terrific! I always get a good laugh when watching Gedo. His poor man's Lex Luger selling noises and swears get me every time.

- The Jay/Finlay streak is a nice little bit of backstory built into their hostility. Gives Finlay clear motivation. His promo after Monday's show was really impressive and Jay's was very good too. First time I've ever really cared about Finlay's character.

- Kitamura showing cumulative damage is a nice touch for a guy that, at a surface glance, looks like a complete meathead idiot. Guy literally crawled to the back after his match with Tenzan and crawled off camera following his backstage promo. Nakanishi... man, I used to really like him in his Gotchism days with Nishimura but fuck does he need to retire and help out around the dojo or open a restaurant. So immobile and he gave Kitamura nothing. Lots of smart wrestlers have something to value as their bodies break down but he is not one of them.

- This is probably the best they could've hoped for when setting up this Naito/Yoshi-Hashi match. Perfect execution so far and I'm actually excited for their match.

Will be staying up for Saturday's show. I'll have a few days to recover because of Family Day (yay!) plus it's one of the earlier start time shows. Still it'll be 5 or 6AM here by the time it's over.

Juice channels my rage at how shitty NJPW is with their rules and making their officials look like complete tools (admittedly not hard with Red Shoes):

• Like 1