DVDVR Message Board

NJPW The New Beginning 2018

Raziel

12 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Someone on Reddit noted that Omega is openly bisexual and that a non-platonic relationship with Ibushi happened in the past, but take that with a whole shakerful of salt considering the source.

There's plenty of canon evidence that the character Kenny Omega is bi--he's mentioned it in a few New Japan interviews and BTE--and that the Golden Lovers were... what the name says.

People on reddit and elsewhere do get over their skis in assuming the same is necessarily true for Tyson Smith and Ibushi, though. The most directly he's addressed it is to say:

1 hour ago, Control said:

Serious question: at the Golden Lovers strictly platonic?

I--no shit--wrote that post with an obvious typo between teaching communications courses.

I'm (obviously) completely unfamiliar with the gimmick, and I think it's great that wrestling could have queer(ish) tag team that aren't actually the subject of stereotyping or scorn.

• Like 1

That cold open, hah!

edit: I wish Hangman could translate some of his BTE personality into the ring. He's not a charismatic phenom by any means but he's got more than he shows.

Winnipeg... never!

"... call it in the ring?..." *gulp*

Best one yet.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!  THE ENDING!

FgAuceV.gif

• Like 4

Who'da thunk an angle featuring Cody Rhodes would be my favourite of the modern era of wrestling tied only perhaps with the D-Bry saga in '13-'14 (this is a far less frustrating though). Unbelievable stuff.

4 hours ago, Control said:

Serious question: at the Golden Lovers strictly platonic?

im-your-tweek-youre-my-craig.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I could care less.  Great wrestler.  Cool character.  Seems like a great guy.  Not going to change anything about how I feel regarding Kenny Omega.

• Like 1

A person can define their sexuality/gender however the fuck they want. It's their business.

So maybe...

Spoiler

Elite = Kenny, Kota & The Bucks
BC = Cody, Hangman, Fale, GOD, Yujiro, Chase
with Marty in the middle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ace said:

A person can define their sexuality/gender however the fuck they want. It's their business.

So maybe...

Hide contents

I agree with spoiler tag and thought that was the whole idea to begin with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Jesus, how fucking incredible is Omega? So passionate, and able to articulate how amazingly special his relationship with Ibushi is. I love that something as inherently stupid as pro wrestling can evoke such real and true emotions. And not just from him, but the way that I feel about what he is saying and seeing other people's reaction to it. 

I feel like this seems like I am trying to make this into some larger statement about the merits of fake fighting, but it makes me super proud to be a fan of this particular art form. Real fucking cool.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ace said:

So maybe...

Hide contents

Just like it's their business if Omega and Ibushi joined the Bucks for some weird psycho-sexual orgy at the end of BTE Episode 90. No judgment here. 

27331604_1602635393150374_32229390012569

27336231_1602635429817037_31891134088837

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

How Cody Rhodes never became a main event star in WWE is totally beyond me. Dude is the total package. 

Because nothing he ever did in WWE showed he could be that level. If he is showing it now its because of what he has gained from his time away outside of WWE.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Because nothing he ever did in WWE showed he could be that level. If he is showing it now its because of what he has gained from his time away outside of WWE.

He was never allowed to do anything on that level.  They wouldn't let him take off his Stardust facepaint much less so anything outside of comedy.  It was all there as Stardust but packaged under a comedy act.  

The way they used to work the crowd during tag matches from the apron and the floor was phenomenal old school work.  

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

One of my favorite things about this--granted, everything is my favorite thing--is how the guy literally named The Villain is the rational one who just wishes everyone could get along and his parents would stay together.

And that is why I'm going to be heartbroken, maybe not even in a hyperbolic way, if Marty chooses Cody over Kenny, Kota, and the Bucks. He's the kid stuck in the middle. 

I fucking love this shit. I started going back to watch all of these while watching each new one that comes out to keep up. I really don't get the hate that the Bucks or Scurll catch. They're all awesome. BTE is the greatest shit ever. 

• Like 2