DVDVR Message Board

UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson (9/21/2013) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

Meh, I had it 3-2 for Jones, but whatever.  Not sure if this calls for an immediate rematch, but Gustafsson clearly started slowing down in the championship rounds.  It was an amazing fight and it came off pretty legit close.  Don't think it should be disdained.  

EDIT:Wouldn't mind a rematch at all though, and it looks like they might go that way.  

I had it 2-2 going into the fifth and Jones obviously won that last round.  Either way, that was one hell of a fight and I'm glad to finally see someone give Jones a real challenge.  

PS: F'n Mitrione!  Now we have more Schaub in the UFC.

PPS: I never want to see Francis Carmount fight again.  EVER!

• Like 1

Only caught the main but the result was terrible. There is no way Jones should have won a unanimous decision

This implies that you would have been okay with Jones winning a split decision.  I don't get the logic.

Also, while I agree that Gustafsson was gassing in the last two rounds, clearly Jones was, too.  Just a little less.  Jones could have finished him in round 4 if he'd had more in the tank.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting how each camp makes changes after watching tape because there were several opportunities left on the table. Jon should have aimed to the midsection more often on Gustafsson than he did. It would have made the shots to the head more lethal and slowed him down faster. As for Gustafsson, he spent too much time and energy circling to get away from Jon and get his back off the cage. You can't keep that up forever when you're a big guy. In addition, he kept his head in too tight to Jon's body when he was clinched up with him. He was basically asking to get hit with elbows because his head had no place to go. He did good with the uppercuts half the time, but he got hit with too many elbows that were telegraphed for my liking. If you don't get the takedown, you need to have the awareness to seperate immediately.

As far as the judging and fan scoring goes, I think part of it is that we've never really seen Jones get hit with appreciable offense past one round. The late Emanuel Steward use to talk about comparative rounds all the time in boxing. I think a lot of people's judgment is skewed by thinking that if Jon isn't dominant, then he lost the round. At no point did I feel that Jon was out of the fight or Gustafsson had it sown up. But it was clear there were swing rounds in the fight either guy could have grabbed.

And before I forget, Renan Barao is a bad, bad dude (/Stephen A. Smith mode off).

• Like 3

And before I forget, Renan Barao is a bad, bad dude (/Stephen A. Smith mode off).

It is insane how Renan is like the champ that doesn't exist online.  In P4P discussions, he is never even brought up despite being on a 493 fight win streak.

• Like 1

Great main event fight between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson. I scored it 48-47 to Gustafsson. Rematch please.

Bonuses:

Fight of the Night: Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Knockout of the Night: Renan Barao

Submission of the Night: Mitch Gagnon

• Like 1

It is insane how Renan is like the champ that doesn't exist online.  In P4P discussions, he is never even brought up despite being on a 493 fight win streak.

That Faber win looks so much better now that Faber is handling dudes.

Gutted for Gustafsson, really wanted him to win, but I begrudgingly think it was the right decision. Jones definitely had the 4th and 5th, and I remember thinking at the time that he'd won the 2nd as well. When it comes to sport, I almost always go for underdogs and Scandinavians, so this ticked all the boxes and had me on my feet through the final rounds, amazing fight.

Barao's win was also pretty spectacular, but I can't stand the whole interim Title thing, if someone's injured for two years, surely at some point you just strip them of the belt and give them a guaranteed shot when they're back? Maybe my mind's been poisoned by the 30 day rule in wrestling, but the way it muddies the waters makes otherwise great matches inherently unsatisfying.

There is no way Jones should have won a unanimous decision, let alone a 49-46 card. The scoring was absurd to me and I like Jones.

I HATE when people say something should've been a split decision. What does that even mean? "I think this guy won but I think at least one judge should disagree with me."

I generally dislike Jones and thought it was clearly 48-47 for him, personally. Great, great fight though.

After that fight I wouldn't be so confident about moving up to heavy if I was Jones. I definitely wouldn't want to box Kiltschko lol

• Like 1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been thinking about Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson this morning going into this afternoon UK time. I'd say it was one of the best UFC fights in UFC history and one of the best UFC Championship fights. The verdict dividing opinion between those who thought Jones or Gustafsson won reminds me of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard at UFC 125: Resolution.

What are the other best LHW Title fights?  My favorite was FrankShamrock/Ortiz.. Also, how did I just notice this. the youngest guy Jones fought in a title fight was Shogun, Why does the LHW division have no young contenders? Gus seems like the only one. 

Just watched it.

Ironically, round 4 was Gus's best round up until he almost got knocked out.

I give Gus round 1 and 3 pretty definitively, and Jones 4 and 5 pretty definitively. It just comes down to your impression of the second, and I could see that going either way.

Now, I heard on twitter that the Doctor wanted to stop the fight after the fourth due to the cut over Jones's eye, but didn't because of the pleadings of Jones and McCarthy. I guess its good that it didn't get stopped, but dubious non-stoppages and dubious decisions are just no bueno.

What are the other best LHW Title fights?  My favorite was FrankShamrock/Ortiz.. Also, how did I just notice this. the youngest guy Jones fought in a title fight was Shogun, Why does the LHW division have no young contenders? Gus seems like the only one. 

Despite the result, I thought Machida/Shogun 1 was a great fight.  It was amazing watching Shogun dissect Machida's style.  Same thing with Randy Couture dismantling Liddell in their first fight.  And I always loved Rampage vs. Dan Henderson.

• Like 2

Despite the result, I thought Machida/Shogun 1 was a great fight.  It was amazing watching Shogun dissect Machida's style.  Same thing with Randy Couture dismantling Liddell in their first fight.  And I always loved Rampage vs. Dan Henderson.
Yes, these fights along with Forrest/Rampage are far and away the best LHW title fights of all time.