DVDVR Message Board

2018 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

RIPPA

42 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Is Charlotte Wilder even in charge of hiring?  She's a writer, isn't she?  Unless she's management and sitting in on job interviews, Werder is picking an argument with the wrong person.

If I'm Werder, I'm spending the rest of the week alternately claiming that I was hacked, or that I was drunk-tweeting.  He did that thing where someone says something innocent, and the other person extrapolates something inflammatory and completely unlikely from what you said (Person A: i am white.  Person B: So you're saying you're glad you're not black?).  It'd be a bad look even if he had a valid point, which, from what I can see, he does not.

What does Werder do these days?  I've got no idea.  If I had to guess based on that series of tweets, I'd guess "unable to find job and bitter about it."

No, she's just someone who heard about a job and encouraged people to apply.  Even if she encouraged men not to apply, which isn't what actually happened, she's not hiring whoever is going to ultimately get the job any way.  She was just encouraging an underrepresented group to apply for a job, because they may not hear about it otherwise.

18 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

And be sure to tell the women in the class that they have a 1 in 5 chance of getting the job.  Probably less.

Seriously, arguing sex discrimination in a field where your gender has an overwhelming advantage is just dumb.  At this point, I'm thinking a female executive at ESPN gave him the bad news and he can't let it go.  He-man wimmen haters club, here I come/

I kinda wish ESPN hadn't let him go so they could fire him today instead.

• Like 1

Just now, hammerva said:

The funny thing is that if he things that will change at places like Fox Sports he is in for a rude awakening.  It isn't like they are hiring a conveyor belt full of Clay Travis clones.

It's sports, almost everyone is qualified to discuss sports, that's kind of the beauty of it.  It's legitimately one of the only things that everybody can have a valid opinion about.  The fact that it is still 80% white dudes is the problem, not the fact that a woman encouraged other women to apply for a job.  I swear, the fact that we still have to have these conversation is so fucking tiring.  I'm just so fucking tired of having the same conversations over and over again, because people who control damn near everything feel like they are being discriminated against.

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

Today is a social media shit hole.  The worst part is that he seems to be not only believe that white dudes are discriminated against in sports media, he's willing to argue about it, which is a terrible look.  All of this is because a woman encouraged women to apply to a sports media job.

Just for the record, Werder said nothing about race. Completely fair to criticize him for being an idiot. Not fair to put words in his mouth to do so. 

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Just for the record, Werder said nothing about race. Completely fair to criticize him for being an idiot. Not fair to put words in his mouth to do so. 

No, he didn't and I wasn't trying to imply that he did.  My point is that white males hold 80% of sports media jobs, and it's bullshit to attack someone for him to attack anyone outside of that group for encouraging participation.  I'm probably projecting, but as a black person, I'm often shot down for mentioning that black people should participate in more things by people like Ed Werder who think I'm influential enough to organize a hostile takeover of the fine dining scene.  For the record, I have been able to convince two cousins to stop ordering well-done steak...watch out white people you won't be able to get a reservation soon, bwaahahahahahahahaha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

No, he didn't and I wasn't trying to imply that he did.  

But when you say "he seems to be not only believe that white dudes are discriminated against in sports media", that's pretty much what you're doing. 

That said, I believe you and don't want to belabor the point. There's definitely a conversation to be had about white dudes dominating sports media. 

7 hours ago, steve said:

My family is still willfully obtuse about "blood" in the meat...

"I know, BUT...." :rolleyes:

As a restaurant worker, I'm trying to get people to chill out about chicken.  Of course, you don't want blood, but the meat can still have some pinkness and be cooked. And just because there is blood, doesn't mean it's undercooked, most likely it was just a blood vessel.

And goddammit people, pork doesn't need to be cooked bone dry. Safe temp depending on the cut is about 160 degrees, which is like a medium steak.

On the other hand, people cooking hamburgers medium or under are really flirting with danger.

6 minutes ago, elizium said:

As a restaurant worker, I'm trying to get people to chill out about chicken.  Of course, you don't want blood, but the meat can still have some pinkness and be cooked. And just because there is blood, doesn't mean it's undercooked, most likely it was just a blood vessel.

And goddammit people, pork doesn't need to be cooked bone dry. Safe temp depending on the cut is about 160 degrees, which is like a medium steak.

On the other hand, people cooking hamburgers medium or under are really flirting with danger.

I use a thermometer when I cook any protein, and I swear I have to answer 83749389334 questions every single time someone sees a little pink on a piece of chicken or slab of pork.  I generally buy whole chickens, and cook it on the bone.  People who are used to eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts (the worst piece of meat at the store) always are concerned when there is pink in a joint.  The pork one is the one that really kills me because trichinosis is pretty much not an issue unless people are raising their own pigs and feeding them raw meat.  Even if you find some pork that contains trichinosis, trichinosis dies off at 144 degrees, so cooking a piece of pork until it is dry as a bone is completely unnecessary.

What sports media figure do you think would order well-done steak?  I'm all in with Stephen A. Smith.

• Like 1

Three guys on Barstool Sports (*brace yourself*) spent an entire segment of their show trying to convince a Mexican-American female colleague why Corey Lewandowski saying "Womp womp" on Fox about a story 10 year old with down syndrome being forcibly taken away from her parents was actually funny.  

I'm not even going to link to the video because it's just fucking gross.  

On 6/19/2018 at 5:14 AM, supremebve said:

No, he didn't and I wasn't trying to imply that he did.  My point is that white males hold 80% of sports media jobs, and it's bullshit to attack someone for him to attack anyone outside of that group for encouraging participation.  I'm probably projecting, but as a black person, I'm often shot down for mentioning that black people should participate in more things by people like Ed Werder who think I'm influential enough to organize a hostile takeover of the fine dining scene.  For the record, I have been able to convince two cousins to stop ordering well-done steak...watch out white people you won't be able to get a reservation soon, bwaahahahahahahahaha.

Hey, this white dude has your back for the hostile takeover of the fine dining scene which is dominated by too many pretentious white folks for my liking. 

On the other hand, don't talk to me about reservations damn it, I live on one! Drum roll... Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week; try the waitress and tip the veal!

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Three guys on Barstool Sports (*brace yourself*) spent an entire segment of their show trying to convince a Mexican-American female colleague why Corey Lewandowski saying "Womp womp" on Fox about a story 10 year old with down syndrome being forcibly taken away from her parents was actually funny.  

Is one of the guys in the segment someone who does a terrible job in the preshow for NXT Takeover shows in his jorts?  Sure Triple H would love to hear that segment

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's so weird that "stick to sports" twitter isn't all over this.  There must be some reason.  I can't quite figure out what it is but it's white there on the tip of my tongue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Per the NY Post - Colin Cowherd will be re-signing with FOX Sports and iHeartRadio to continue his radio show for at least 4 more years

Cowherd though will be leaving "Speak for Yourself" and will be replaced by Marcellus Wiley

For some reason Fox decided that merited making the show a hour longer and will move it to the afternoon (3-5 pm) (it currently is on 5-6)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per the NY Post - Colin Cowherd will be re-signing with FOX Sports and iHeartRadio to continue his radio show for at least 4 more years

Cowherd though will be leaving "Speak for Yourself" and will be replaced by Marcellus Wiley

For some reason Fox decided that merited making the show a hour longer and will move it to the afternoon (3-5 pm) (it currently is on 5-6)

So by leaving "Speak for Yourself" he will likely be able to avoid talking about Smackdown.

Joe Bedingo mocking the World Cup saying nobody cares about it on FAN while spending hours talking about hypothetical Jacob DeGrom is peak parochial New York sports talk.

• Like 1