DVDVR Message Board

2018 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

RIPPA

12 minutes ago, Meltzing Pot said:

Jesus, the most recent Simmons podcast is just unspeakably ponderous. The tv critic talking about SNL in the first segment was terrible, just endless “um”s and “likes”. I like Simmons for the most part but his heavy handed attempts to talk about Donald Glover taking over for Kanye was also really cringeworthy. Even when he’s being an obnoxious homer, I still usually like listening to him, but this past episode was really unlistenable.

I agree with all of this.  There was something about that episode that made me want to turn it off.  I don't understand the Donald Glover taking over for Kanye West talking point like we don't live in a world where they can coexist.  Not only can they coexist, I don't think they are remotely trying to do the same things.  It is like saying that Aaron Rogers took over for Tom Brady in 2011.  Sure, Aaron Rogers just won a Super Bowl, and is a great quarterback, that doesn't mean that Tom Brady's career is over and can't ever win again.  Donald Glover's success doesn't mean anything at all for the career of Kanye West.  There is not a Donald Glover/Kanye West binary choice.  You can like one of them, both of them, or neither of them and it has nothing to do with what the other one is or isn't doing.  That shit was just strange to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Who here had Chris Christie changing the landscape of sports in America???

Yeah, not even going to lie, that was NOT what I expected, even if Murphy was the one to took it to the goal line.

Well every time he jumps he is changing the landscape of America.   I can fat shame if you saw me by the way  :lol:

I enjoyed Dan Steinberg tweet yesterday I think where he said that yesterday reporting shows how many degenerates there really is in sports media based on how excited they got.

• Like 2

It's just hilarious to see sports leagues piously denounce gambling when that is what completely drives them. Like any sane person would say the NFL's popularity isn't mostly due to gambling, or that March Madness doesn't owe almost all the interest in it to gambling.

Lol, the most convincing explanation I've heard for the NFL's mandatory mid-week injury reports is that they put it out there to try to head off gamblers approaching players and personnel to get insider info.

That said, I feel like there's a fair difference between most pro sports leagues' nudge-nudge-wink-wink relationship with gambling, and a public endorsement of the same.  None of the pro leagues are ready to marry themselves to gambling.  They are, however,  mostly comfortable taking gambling as their mistress.  Something about getting the milk without buying the cow....

Dan Snyder has sold the one sports talk radio station here in DC that he owned (the one that aired Skins games and, of course, gave them very positive coverage)

Who knew that an AM radio station not in NYC would be a bad investment?

16 hours ago, Gonzo said:

ESPN employee: "Hey, boss. Our viewership is going down again. People seem to think we're becoming too politicized. What do you think we should do?"

ESPN executive: "You still have Keith Olbermann's number?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/05/25/keith-olbermann-back-sportscenter-expanded-espn-role/644277002/

Keith Olberman once called Peter Karmanos, a man I consider to be worse that Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot ect. a lying scumbag and I still can't stand him. Think about that for a minute.

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2018 at 12:21 AM, Gonzo said:

ESPN employee: "Hey, boss. Our viewership is going down again. People seem to think we're becoming too politicized. What do you think we should do?"

ESPN executive: "You still have Keith Olbermann's number?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/05/25/keith-olbermann-back-sportscenter-expanded-espn-role/644277002/

Keith Olbermann is also the single most talented sports broadcaster of all time.  That will get you as many second chances as you will take.

• Like 5

And those stories about him writing the script for his three hour ESPN2 show in less than 30 minutes back in the day, etc etc.

I totally get hating his politics (I tend to largely agree with him, but he's unquestionably a blowhard and can be as obnoxious as anyone shy of Hannity) but his talent as a TV talking head is pretty much unparalleled in this era, sports or otherwise.

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Unsurprisingly, Doris Burke got a multi-year extension from ESPN.

Now put her back as play-by-play or color during games, not just sideline stuff.

I watched the debut of High Noon (Bomani Jones and Pablo Torre's show). It was in development for nearly two years and ended up a revamped Pardon the Interruption, so I guess we know who's taking over for Tony and Wilbon when they eventually retire.

• 2 weeks later...

So.. Ed Werder, formerly of ESPN, is sticking is head into a woodchipper as we speak. More reputation wise than anything.. but yeah arguing that (basically) "White men are discriminated against in sports media hiring" is sticking your reputational dick into a giant wasp hive.

http://awfulannouncing.com/si/ed-werder-will-die-on-the-hill-that-female-representation-in-sports-media-is-a-non-issue.html

5 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

So.. Ed Werder, formerly of ESPN, is sticking is head into a woodchipper as we speak. More reputation wise than anything.. but yeah arguing that (basically) "White men are discriminated against in sports media hiring" is sticking your reputational dick into a giant wasp hive.

http://awfulannouncing.com/si/ed-werder-will-die-on-the-hill-that-female-representation-in-sports-media-is-a-non-issue.html

Today is a social media shit hole.  The worst part is that he seems to be not only believe that white dudes are discriminated against in sports media, he's willing to argue about it, which is a terrible look.  All of this is because a woman encouraged women to apply to a sports media job.

Is Charlotte Wilder even in charge of hiring?  She's a writer, isn't she?  Unless she's management and sitting in on job interviews, Werder is picking an argument with the wrong person.

If I'm Werder, I'm spending the rest of the week alternately claiming that I was hacked, or that I was drunk-tweeting.  He did that thing where someone says something innocent, and the other person extrapolates something inflammatory and completely unlikely from what you said (Person A: i am white.  Person B: So you're saying you're glad you're not black?).  It'd be a bad look even if he had a valid point, which, from what I can see, he does not.

What does Werder do these days?  I've got no idea.  If I had to guess based on that series of tweets, I'd guess "unable to find job and bitter about it."