DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period Two

Pete

The Islanders literally won a game tonight because the Jackets got blown up from putting up so many shots early and couldn't sustain that pace. The Doug Weight rope-a-dope strategy is going to revolutionize the sport!

Connor McDavid is not of this planet. Last night was some 1992 Mario Lemieux stuff. I still haven't recovered from his second goal, but seriously, every time he went on the ice what Tampa did became basically irrelevant until his shift ended and they got the puck back. It was nuts.

• Like 2

Ryan O'Reilly literally shot a puck into his own goddamned net tonight. How many horrible fucked up things can happen to one team in a single season? Seriously this is fucking ridiculous.

So, Rangers fans, I am an Oilers fan. I recognize this "send out a letter to fans appealing to calm" stage of the (first) rebuild, because I've been here before. So listen, here's what's gonna happen. You're going to trade every player you actually give a shit about so invest in a nameplate-less jersey. Don't get attached to anybody because the next couple of years players are going to be treated like Game of Thrones characters. Henrik Lundqvist is probably gonna get old wither away and die someday. You're going to draft like 50 children. Five or 6 of them will turn out to be good. You are probably gonna end up trading 4 of those, too.

Don't worry after all that either you will be winning the game, or you get the next letter. 

• Haha 1

Teams in the Central Division with 70 points after today: 4

Teams in the rest of the NHL with 70 points after today: 3

Total points for the Central Division as a collective this year: 469

Total points for the Pacific Division as a collective this year: 466

Total points for the Metropolitan division as a collective this year: 490

Total points for the Atlantic division as a collective this year: 460.

Please remember the central has 1 less team then the other divisions do.

In short, the Central Division is god damned stupid.

Crazy game in Brooklyn tonight featuring a choke job for the ages by the Detroit Red Wings.

Detroit got off to a fast start, up 3-0 by the end of the first.  They gave up 2 to make it interesting at 3-2 but scored 2 more to put the game away at 5-2 with 6:30 to play.

Or so it appeared.

Cal Clutterbuck drew a dumb slashing penalty from Tyler Bertuzzi with 6:32 to go.  Cal sold it like a champ, acting like he'd been shot by a slash that landed directly on his knee pad.  Bertuzzi was assessed a (pretty questionable) 5-minute major.

The Islanders proceeded to score FOUR goals on the power play to take a 6-5 lead with 1:30 left.  I can't remember the last time I saw 3 on a 5-minute major.  Not sure I've EVER seen 4.  Crazy.

Not to be deterred, Detroit pulled their goalie and scored to tie it up at 6-6.  Overtime!

As has been standard for Detroit in OT this year, they wasted some scoring opportunities before having a terrible turnover followed by bad defensive coverage at the other end, leading to a puck in the net.

7-6, Islanders.

Brutal loss for sure.  I've been calling for the firing of Jeff Blashill for months but this would have convinced me if I wasn't before.  Good grief.

Kudos for New York for coming back from the dead.

On Nbc during the Blues/Pens game they just showed a clip from the amazing 1981 double Ot palyoff game they had.  I was at that game as a little kid and I was astounded by how old and grainy the footage looked.  Like I know it wasn't going to be HD or anything but it looked as old-timey as footage of the gashouse gang used to look to me.

This is what they call sunsetting right?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Why do the senators want broken down, shitty old Gaborik when he's got another 4 years I think on his terrible deal? 

Nearest anyone can figure it's a raw cash thing. His cap hit is something like $4.8 million a year but he's owed significantly less in real money, so much less so that even with holding 25% of Phaneuf's salary (and I have absolutely no idea if that is just a cap thing, or a real money thing, but I suspect it's just a cap thing) they are saving significant real world cash per year on this deal.

tl;dr Eugene Melnyk is broke.

10 hours ago, piranesi said:

God I hate the St. Louis Blues.

No, see, that was a brilliant performance.  If the Blues choke during the regular season, they'll get it out of the system by the time the playoffs roll around.  Lulling the rest of the division into a false sense of security, then BAM!  Postseason success and the Stanley Cup.  That's Lex Luthor in Superman II levels of scheming there.

Or they just keep blowing games now and miss the playoffs entirely.  Either way, it's the Blues.  Best not to get my hopes up past the first round.