DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period Two

Pete

9 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I mean all things considered this is wonderful luck.

Holy Shit. Thank God that didn't end up like Milarchuck, which in terms of blood and gore made the Mass Transit incident look like a paper cut.

So this season is going well

New York Rangers defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk is set for surgery to repair a torn meniscus, the team announced Friday. He has been ruled out indefinitely.

Shattenkirk said the injury has been lingering since the beginning of October. He anticipates the surgery won't sideline him for the rest of the Rangers' 36 remaining games and looks forward to playing more to his standards. Shattenkirk has posted five goals and 18 assists this season and is on pace for the lowest points per game average of his career (0.50).

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

You fucking would get him.

I can guarantee the Sabres won't because the powers that be fucking hate us and won't let it happen.

Brian Boyle has been named to the Metro all star team replacing injured teammate Taylor Hall. I kill the league when they do stupid shit so I'm going to give them credit for doing 1000000000% the right thing here.

• Like 1

Andrew Cuomo is going to be holding a press conference in Uniondale Monday. I was hoping he was going to announce that every politician in New York State is going to be sent to prison (including himself) which is where they all belong. Alas it is to announce that the Islanders will be playing 12 games at the Zombie Coliseum starting next season with the rest being played at Barclays. This is great because STH's like myself are already being billed for payments for next season. I wish they'd just say fuck it and play all the games at the ZC. Really the team's entire fan base is in Nassau or Suffolk so that would make the most sense as a temporary home before Belmont.

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What's the reasoning behind not doing the entire season there?

In two words: luxury boxes. Barclays has a bunch, I think the Coliseum has a total of like 4. Basically generating revenue at the Coliseum  (which has 3,000 fewer seats than when the Isles called it home) is not really possible, which is the reason they left in the first place. I honestly think they should go back there until Belmont as a loss leader to rebuild the season ticket base so it's in place when the new place opens. One thing that needs to be said is that the players (who all live in Nassau where the practice facility is located) would be incredibly happy playing at the Coliseum because they all hate the commute to Barclays.

So are the refs always this bad in favor of Vegas, or is this just tonight? Guy slashes the goalie right in the chest, no penalty. Ref was right there to see it, since he counted the other guy tapping in the goal right afterwards, and since hockey replay rules are suspect at best, the goal stood (they ruled the slash across the chest did not prevent the goalie from making the save, and since you can't challenge a penalty, it's a goal).

EDIT: Here's their more legit goal of the night: https://www.nhl.com/video/smith-steals-puck-roofs-shg/t-293640326/c-57255903

Is that not a crosscheck to win the puck? It is certainly not a bodycheck.

I was in Newark tonight and got to witness noted tough guy Travis Zajak kick seven shades of shit out of Radko Gudas (who earlier delivered a suspension worthy hit that's par for the course for him). For a total goon Gudas couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

1 hour ago, elizium said:

I was at the game. I'm more mad that the Jets let the Vegas player dipsy doodle with the puck for like a minute before the winning goal.

No winning goal happens without the zebras gifting them at least one in regulation, but yeah, those guys were dead tired by the end of that shift. The Jets are not very good at the 3-on-3 overtime stuff.

Winter Olympics on the horizon. You watch, the Canadian media will lose their shit, (rightly) accusing some sport of match fixing or inside betting or a general bribery judging scandal, as always. And it still won't be any more egregious than things that happen in the NHL literally every single night at this point (and no one dares through around serious accusations lest they lose their livelihood). It's seriously hard to get through a day's worth of games without something blatantly bizarre going on anymore. Honestly as a 30+ year fan, it's disheartening to watch.

The Boston/St. Louis goal that actually counted tonight is past being explainable through any random human error. It's certainly not the only one either.

That goal was brutal too. Some guy falls into the crease, clears out the goalie, and it counts as a goal? We are getting to the point where they may need to go back to the "skate in the crease means automatic no goal" days.