DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NHL SEASON: Period Two

Pete

On 30/12/2017 at 10:39 PM, Oyaji said:

This is the first time since the cup run, maybe the first half of the season after it, that I've enjoyed watching the Canucks. With Boeser, Bo, and Pettersson as the core pieces, the future is bright. 

I feel like there are a bunch of teams getting way better to watch (seriously, have people SEEN New Jersey this year?) yet somehow the Oilers are in the third year of McDavid and have become a terrible, terrible slog. Even in half the games they win, never mind shit shows like that game vs. Winnipeg the other night which I just outright turned off after the second period.

What's up with Edmonton? Why are they still not very good? A friend said he read rumours of a Draisaitl trade. That sounds fucking insane to me and I'm guessing they're just typical BS.

Would not hate the Nux to lose a bunch of 4-3 games with the young guys scoring a bunch. Rasmus Dahlin has been so impressive in the World Juniors. Somebody is going to get a franchise defenceman this summer.

Draisaitl did have that Mysterious Concussion in preseason and he hasn't really caught fire this year, but man are the depth guys not good. Lucic just openly whiffs on a good scoring chance in the slot once a game every game. I honestly can't stand watching him play knowing we have him signed until the sun burns out. Strome is Strome, there was never any serious chance of him replacing Eberle's offense. Maroon has also seemingly gone back to being just another guy after coming out of nowhere last season. If none of those three are going, there's not a lot happening on the wing, no matter how McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH (who is easily having his best year) play. Letestu hasn't really done anything either and how he's hung around on the power play over Puljujarvi is hard to explain.

Also, the penalty kill is straight up broken. The home numbers (though I don't really think home/road split is a meaningful stat) is historically awful. If that doesn't change, good night.

• Thanks 1

The highlight of the day for me was hanging out with the Displaced Sabres Fans in the Rotunda during the second intermission taunting all the rags fans who were leaving because of the cold.

On 12/23/2017 at 3:21 PM, sabremike said:

Something you don't see everyday: Jack Eichel scored 2 empty net goals in the same game last night. Michael Grabber did it earlier this year and actually ended up with a hat trick in that game.

Once saw Danny Gare get an empty net hat trick once when I was a kid

• Like 1

Head's up.  NHL.TV just lowered the price for all access for the rest of the season to $50. I swear I checked just yesterday and it was $100 so maybe it's a hort time deal.

Center Ice on cable/satellite usually only lowers to $110 and that's not until after the all star break, so it seems like a pretty good deal if you have solid internet and a Roku or something.

Not going to lie, Edmonton beating Anaheim last night felt good, shootout or no. Mike Cammalleri's shootout goal was filthy. Game needed more Ryan Kesler being piledriven through a table, but still.

It's utterly embarrassing how non-seriously the NHL has taken its own so-called crackdown on interference and stickwork. Anaheim has literally one skill player that can thrive without it (Silfverberg).

• Like 1

Quick question: where should I go to get the best price on a blank Adidas jersey? Want to get a white Isles jersey and customize it as a Barzal one and want to get a Sabres one and make it either an Eichel or ROR one (since they are like the only guys on the team I am sure will still be here in 2 years)? Also is there a place that sells good WHA replicas? If I could get a NE Whalers one and turn it into a Rick Ley or Al Smith jersey that would be fantastic.

Gary Bettman has to do what Pete Roselle did years ago with the Giants and literally force the Islanders to hire a competent GM to run the teams. Garth Snow having a job for life stopped being funny a long time ago and those fans deserve way better than this.

Don't look now but the Red Wings have gotten hot. Four wins in a row including one on a breakaway 6 seconds into overtime. The change occurred when Jeff Blashill started actually playing the young guys 20+ minutes instead of Zetterberg. Athanasiou has been showing off his blazing speed with breakaways left and right. The streak will end on Sunday but it's fun to finally see some improvement. 

Follow up on Chris Kreider - he is having surgery to have part of his rib removed

The surgery is known as rib resection and involves removing a section of the first rib under the collarbone. The procedure is generally used to treat thoracic outlet syndrome, which occurs when the blood vessels or nerves between the collarbone and the first rib are compressed.

He will be evaluated in six weeks :(

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Follow up on Chris Kreider - he is having surgery to have part of his rib removed

He will be evaluated in six weeks :(

The best part is that God has agreed to turn the rib into a woman so it won't go to waste.

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

The Oilers media is in Full Rumour Mode that Chiarelli wants Seabrook, who is set to be a healthy scratch tonight and only has 6 years left on his giant ass contract. It's too horrific to be false.

At this point Chiarelli is just trying to see if he is incompetent enough to screw up having McDavid right????? Executive of the Year, great call award voters!!!

Guy who is worse than Hitler just sold controlling interest in Carolina to a Dallas businessman. My fondest memories I will have of him as an NHL owner were his role as a union busting hawk killing an entire season and getting rid of Pat Verbeek (arguably the team's best player) because he was the Whalers player rep. May he burn in hell.

For years, the Red Wings have been soft.  Long gone are Shanny, McCarty and Kocur to take care of business when needed.  Today's game with Pittsburgh was a perfect example.  In the last 5 seconds of a blowout 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh, Evgeni Malkin suckered Andres Athanasiou from behind with a vicious crosscheck.  And the Wings response was... basically nothing.  A timid slash from Danny DeKeyser and no follow-up at all.  It was the kind of cheap shot that demands accountability and there was nothing.  Ugh.