DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

12 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Miesha Tate is Serrano's agent. She signed with Miesha last year.

Oh, that would make sense. When the whole blowup about Ronda Rousey and boxing happened and then the Ring magazine cover came out on top of that, Serrano was one of the boxers that was a big critic and detractor of that. That's why I thought she wouldn't have interest in MMA especially with their being interest in Serrano actually fighting on TV (she ultimately had fights on Sho Extreme but they were basically championship squash matches). It would make sense to sign with Rousey's biggest career rival. 

On 10.1.2018 at 4:22 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

With Russia, that's going to be baby steps because that would literally be zero to 100. I think Khabib himself said that UFC is not really a big thing in Russia and that his goal was to help gain the recognition. The problem is the UFC doesn't have an ethnically Russian superstar. All their guys really are from Dagestan. So that narrows down the potential big cards in Russia. So unless they plan on doing a show at Anzhi Arena (26,400 capacity stadium), I don't see a show in Dagestan.

Last I checked Dagestan was not the safest place in the world. For example the Austrian ministry for foreign affairs has put a travel warning on Dagestan (for other Russian republic in the north Caucasus region like Chechnya or Ingushetia as well). I doubt that UFC wants to run a show there.

23 hours ago, Robert s said:

Last I checked Dagestan was not the safest place in the world. For example the Austrian ministry for foreign affairs has put a travel warning on Dagestan (for other Russian republic in the north Caucasus region like Chechnya or Ingushetia as well). I doubt that UFC wants to run a show there.

I saw one other stadium there in the middle of nowhere, which is I why didn't bring that one up. Not the most scenic place in the world. So yeah, I have my doubts as well.

I am disappointed Big John is going over to Bellator to replace Smith. He won't be officiating UFC events anymore which is the big bummer, but he'll continue to referee in a limited capacity elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I am disappointed Big John is going over to Bellator to replace Smith. He won't be officiating UFC events anymore which is the big bummer, but he'll continue to referee in a limited capacity elsewhere.

Something tells me BJM might find out he doesn't have a ton of tolerance for Goldie's commentary. Maybe they will gel show, but it seems like Bellator just seems to be shaking up the commentary team just to do it.

In other news:

It's been known behind the scenes that ATT is like that, but this is really the first time someone in the MMA community brought it to light. They franchised the American Top Team name years ago like McDonald's and Subway and it's created a lot of turmoil and/or changeover since then but because of the team's success, no one really tried to expose that. Liborio being pushed out, which went under the radar big time, lets you know that loyalty is not really a priority. I don't know how Nunes could respond to that because what Cris said is basically all facts.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's rumors that UFC booked the Olympiyskiy Stadium in Russia for a two night event (9/14-9/15). What'cha think?

How big of a tarp can they can find to cover a large portion of that stadium?

• Thanks 1

Update on UFC Russia: A UFC official confirmed it's just the UFC holding dates right now so there is truth to the RT.com report.

It's still going to take a lot to go right for this to occur. First, Khabib and Tony have to agree to fight in April/May, Khabib has to beat Tony, and then Conor has to agree to come back and fight Khabib in September. That's placing a ton of faith in something that can easily be derailed. In addition, Las Vegas is always in play if they see there isn't a ton of interest in that fight taking place in Russia especially a card taking place in the late evening/early morning hours.

You guys listen to Woodley on Rogan's podcast? Guy is insecure about his legacy and how people view him in the MMA hierarchy. I found it fascinating that he was completely upfront about it too. Rogan said he's crazy for thinking guys like Condit get more respect than him. I think because people love a blood and guts fighter and Woodley is far more calculated, he may have a point. The average hardcore fan probably doesn't really give a shit about him compared to Condit/Lawler because he's not an action fighter.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

You guys listen to Woodley on Rogan's podcast? Guy is insecure about his legacy and how people view him in the MMA hierarchy. I found it fascinating that he was completely upfront about it too. Rogan said he's crazy for thinking guys like Condit get more respect than him. I think because people love a blood and guts fighter and Woodley is far more calculated, he may have a point. The average hardcore fan probably doesn't really give a shit about him compared to Condit/Lawler because he's not an action fighter.

Yeah you see it on UFC tonight when he guess co hosts and Florian talks up other divisions to goat Woodley (jokingly) into a rant about why Florian isn't respecting the Welterweight division. 

8 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Yeah you see it on UFC tonight when he guess co hosts and Florian talks up other divisions to goat Woodley (jokingly) into a rant about why Florian isn't respecting the Welterweight division. 

I think in the money fight chasing era, everyone has a chip on their shoulder. If not they will find one. With Woodley, I remember people were expecting Condit to whoop his ass (I have no clue why everyone thinks a repeat of Woodley vs. Marquardt is always around the corner). Then, Woodley won and a lot of people tried to discredit his win when Tyron was winning the entire fight and showed no signs of slowing down. That sowed the seeds right there. People didn't think he was in that immediate top cluster of Hendricks, Lawler, MacDonald, and Condit when he certainly was a part of it. Then, all of sudden he dethroned Lawler convincingly when again no one gave him a chance and was welterweight champion. He has a legit right to complain especially with the GSP matchmaking sheningans and MMA fans being stupid. 

16 hours ago, Edwin said:

There have been six interim title fights since UFC 200. Before that there had only been 10 interim title fights in UFC history.

On some level, I believe Woodley is playing up the attitude for attention. I'm sure he believes some of it, but he's exaggerating it and making it into his thing because it keeps him in the headlines. 

Save for a hail mary head kick or early blitz, this is going to be Bisping styling on a decrepit Vitor Belfort. Granted they both have a connection with PEDs, Vitor from the Weidman fight on reminds me of Mosley after the Floyd fight. You have this guy who at one point was a devastating puncher and now nothing he throws has any snap to it. What makes it worse is Vitor has to preserve his energy just so he won't gas out throwing the few strikes a round he does throw.