DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Yikes...

That makes a ton of sense actually. Josh Emmett just murked Lamas on a Fox main card and Jeremy Stephens main evented a show that was the highest rated FS1 card in like forever that peaked during his fight. On a month's notice, that's a pretty good main event. 

Not that it won't/can't be a great fight, but a lot of fans were complaining about Romero vs. Branch as the main event as they had high hopes and expected a bigger fight as the headliner.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Not that it won't/can't be a great fight, but a lot of fans were complaining about Romero vs. Branch as the main event as they had high hopes and expected a bigger fight as the headliner.

Based on what exactly? I mean if Romero vs. Branch was the original main event, the best you can hope for as a replacement is two folks coming off exciting finishes which is exactly what you got. In addition, it's a title eliminator. The other option was Tecia Torres in the main event.  So out of those three choices, Orlando ended up getting the most meaningful and likely the most potentially entertaining fight out of those three fights as the headliner. On a month's notice even.

It seems like there were reports that Condit vs. Brown was the main event for that card yesterday so I don't know if that's going to be on that card or just something from the unconfirmed rumor mill.

Holy shit, Dana revealed Whittaker has a staph infection in his stomach that didn't receive proper treatment and now it's eating at his organs! That is seriously life threatening. Best wishes go out to him. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Holy shit, Dana revealed Whittaker has a staph infection in his stomach that didn't receive proper treatment and now it's eating at his organs! That is seriously life threatening. Best wishes go out to him. 

Christ. Just looked the story up.

If I'm Luke Rockhold or Yoel Romero, I want the 221 fight to stay an interim title fight because the bad juju that comes with middleweight title is not worth it.

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Was it really OK for Dana White to reveal that?

If Whittaker had a problem with that, we would know. I mean I saw other people hinting that the reason he pulled out of 221 was the knee injury from the Romero fight. I don't think the clarification hurts if Whittaker or his camp have no issue with that.

I mean I still don't know why Megan Anderson couldn't fight at 214 but it appears that whatever it is, they don't want that out there and the UFC hasn't put it out there.

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Jesus. Best wishes to Robert Whittaker.

Man, I was so impressed with Askren on Rogan's MMA show today. Super articulate, detailed his negotiations with UFC. All was good. Then they started to get into politics (and you could see the tip of the iceberg once he opened up on CTE). Motherfucker was trying to leave the door open on Sandy Hook conspiracies and even Rogan had to shut that down. A little bit of knowledge... And not to go into depth on this, for people who are highly critical of the extreme left "throwing labels on people to win arguments" (fair) they certainly do the exact same thing from the other side. Ugh, I enjoy Rogan's interviews when they're talking MMA but holy shit do I not want any part of his politics in my life.

40 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Man, I was so impressed with Askren on Rogan's MMA show today. Super articulate, detailed his negotiations with UFC. All was good. Then they started to get into politics (and you could see the tip of the iceberg once he opened up on CTE). Motherfucker was trying to leave the door open on Sandy Hook conspiracies and even Rogan had to shut that down. A little bit of knowledge... And not to go into depth on this, for people who are highly critical of the extreme left "throwing labels on people to win arguments" (fair) they certainly do the exact same thing from the other side. Ugh, I enjoy Rogan's interviews when they're talking MMA but holy shit do I not want any part of his politics in my life.

I just saw the show on the Youtube suggested videos side panel before I came into this thread, and all I thought was, "Yeah...that's a hard pass." 

Since I don't plan on listening to it, what did he say about CTE? Because the one twitter post I came across related to this is joking that he doesn't believe in it, didn't believe Rogan's stats, or something to that nature.

Pretty much just that. He cited the NYT article that came out late last year and could not comprehend that a huge portion of the American male population could have CTE to some extent from high school. It sounded like he thought it was an absolute thing, black and white, rather than a gradient. So he was ignorant but still felt he had enough information to dispute its existence. Then rips on the general population for believing CBS News and shit, lol. Fucking guy.

Regardless, his thoughts on weight cutting and ONE FC's hydration testing were good.

Right, I forgot to ask... This recent study linking CTE to constant impact rather than concussions... Wasn't that already known a year or two ago? That long-read article on the SF 49er who retired at a young age was talking about how it was likely the repeated body contact at the line of scrimmage that was causing CTE rather than the big concussive hits to the head. 

Honestly, this likely reflects the thoughts of a good percentage of athletes in contact sports. You can even add in basketball where you're starting to see more head injuries and moments like what happened to Blake Griffin some weeks back. As long as people feel that they don't see explicit signs of their teammates, themselves, or others showing signs of being adversely affected by something, everything is fine and dandy and you move on. Unfortunately, there has to be a whole bunch of cautionary tales for people to stop rationalizing what they feel protects their sport and/or their own interests.