DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I've always liked Jose Torres (great UFC debut), and he's someone who fought at bantamweight before so I thought he could stay... but he posted he got cut without even the chance to bump up. He and Bibulatov were both coming off just their first losses too.

46 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I've always liked Jose Torres (great UFC debut), and he's someone who fought at bantamweight before so I thought he could stay... but he posted he got cut without even the chance to bump up. He and Bibulatov were both coming off just their first losses too.

I think the reason he wasn't allowed that opportunity is he was losing the Brooks fight before Brooks had to bright idea to do a rolling Northern Lights Suplex in a real fight. Alex Perez absolutely torched Torres in his next fight out. They brought him in from Titan FC after those amazing finishes to be an elite prospect at flyweight and through two fights, he was anything but that. I think there is an adjustment period when you go from fighting randoms to UFC competition even at 125, but it's clear their adjustment period was two fights. So he probably was on the way out anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looks like Cejudo vs. Dillashaw at UFC 233 is official but it will be Dillashaw competing for the flyweight title and not the other way around.

Surprised it's for the Flyweight title with the talk around the division getting scrapped.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Where is this Conor vs Cowboy talk coming from? Is it just some nobody speculating?

Cowboy posted on Instagram of a pic of himself next to a pic of Conor and wrote "just waiting on him", so I think that fueled the speculation from there since he wants to go back to lightweight.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Cowboy posted on Instagram of a pic of himself next to a pic of Conor and wrote "just waiting on him", so I think that fueled the speculation from there since he wants to go back to lightweight.

After the 25th anniversary show, he said backstage that the UFC already had an opponent in mind for him. That plus the instagram stuff is fueling the McGregor talk. Okamoto hasn't confirmed or denied it (w/ the caveat that McGregor is still subject to discipline at his 12/10 Nevada commission meeting) so take of that what you will.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

It would be...right up until the moment Alistair gets cold-cocked.

All part of the fun because Alistair can kick Derrick in the body and we have this cat and mouse game where either Alistair gets too anxious and gets caught coming in or Derrick takes a shellacking trying to cover up his ribs. You're literally getting a pro wrestling match story being told in an MMA fight.

• Like 3

UFC won't be re-signing Sage Northcutt. Dana said he needs "some work" and he could do that elsewhere, then they'll see where he's at in a few years. I am surprised as even though he needed a lot of managing and wasn't living up to their giant hype, he still came off like a potential big star and got pretty big crowd reactions. I also wonder what role Sage's daddy played in this. 

He was a guest at a recent One show. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

UFC won't be re-signing Sage Northcutt. Dana said he needs "some work" and he could do that elsewhere, then they'll see where he's at in a few years. I am surprised as even though he needed a lot of managing and wasn't living up to their giant hype, he still came off like a potential big star and got pretty big crowd reactions. I also wonder what role Sage's daddy played in this. 

He was a guest at a recent One show. 

I don't think his dad had anything to do with. They were down on him when he had that rough patch at welterweight losing to Barberena and Gall. I think the issue is he's not dominating the fighters he needs to walk over. He looks great against Quinones in his first fight at Team Alpha Male, then has a poor performance against Thibault Gouti that could have been scored for Gouti, and then gets dropped by Zak Ottow only to come back and win that. Before that, between the losses at welterweight, he had that pedestrian showing against Enrique Marin of all people. You can't be struggling to beat Enrique Marin.

I think they see promise and he definitely can draw on TV, but the issue is right now he is a mid to upper mid level regional fighter in the UFC. They bring some of those guys in all the time as replacements or short notice opponents or throw them in to lose on the Tuesday Night Contender Series to the folks they wants to put over. They don't have high expectations for them like a Sage Northcutt and it's even awesome when those guys (or girls) turn into something eventually which has happened several times over the years. The fighters who have turned into pleasant surprises (Anthony Smith or Alex Oliveira types) are easy to book especially if their fun to watch and fan friendly. Sage has a lot of those characteristics, but minus the pleasant surprise element. He had a big step forward with the Quinones bout and then preceded to take a bunch of steps back against Gouti and Ottow in fights set up as showcases. At this point of his career, it would probably be best to see if he will sink or swim outside the UFC. If he does get some seasoning in orgs where the proverbial light turns on, they will sign him if an opportunity presents itself.  

In my estimation, they would like Sage to be at least on the Jake Matthews level. Besides against Andrew Holbrook in a weird, uneven performance, Matthews has only lost to James Vick and Kevin Lee. So that's a top contender and a UFC title challenger. He had that great fight with Johnny Case which he could have easily lost. I don't think Sage wins that type of fight especially if it's a prospect more skilled than him like what was the case (no pun intended) for Matthews against Johnny Case. Didn't happen in the Gall fight even though he was tagging Gall. He can come back against Zak Ottow because Ottow is a high level fringe UFC fighter. By the time Ottow's UFC tenure ends, Ottow's UFC record will be either at .500, a little bit below .500, or at best a win over .500. If Sage was at the Jake Matthews level where he thoroughly and soundly beats mid to lower level opposition without trouble, he would be a UFC fighter for life. But as is? They feel like they can afford to lose him even if a PFL or Bellator wants to sign him long term to remedy their sagging ratings.

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is Covington vs Woodley official yet?

No. It will probably land on UFC 235 in Vegas if I had to guess. I could also see it being on ESPN if the UFC feels they need to get ratings.

• Thanks 1