DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I think Lewis has earned a title shot as he's won 9 of his last 10, the last two being over fairly high ranked if flawed opponents.  He's basically got no chance of winning said shot, especially on short notice, but if we are honest he was likely to lose his next fight if it was any kind of step up (the natural other fight to make would have been vs Stipe and... yeah I wouldn't even expect that to be competitive).  May as well grab the money and attention for main eventing a MSG card for the title, maybe you get lucky and land a big shot on an older fighter.

Doesn't DC get cracked in most every one of his fights though? His main vulnerabilities are his poor defensive footwork and lack of head movement. Getting cracked by Stipe Miocic is one thing, but getting Lewis' best shot might be enough to do it and Lewis is a great finisher if nothing else. I wouldn't write off Derrick Lewis' chances at all. You don't have to be a complete fighter when you've got a get out of jail free card like Lewis has, particularly against heavyweights.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

She has every right to be upset for UFC jerking her around like this.

Wait...you just said the other day New York shouldn't even sanction the Shevchenko fight like it's Arturo Gatti vs. Joey Gamache. You are bipolar like a motherfucker, man.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wait...you just said the other day New York shouldn't even sanction the Shevchenko fight like it's Arturo Gatti vs. Joey Gamache. You are bipolar like a motherfucker, man.

I don't take it back, but she is in the right for being upset. UFC called her and offered this fight. She signed it, and they announced it. After they already signed and announced Joanna vs. Shevchenko at UFC 231. And then they cancel Eubanks/Shevchenko and rebook the original fight fans wanted to see for the title.

During ye olde Monday Night Wars, this is what we would call a bonafide clusterfuck. This disorganization is like Strikeforce before UFC bought them out.

18 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't take it back, but she is in the right for being upset.

Well, that's goddamn idiotic. The only time a commission would really have grounds to not sanction a fight is if they have credible information of someone being in danger. An example or two of this would be Antonio Margarito's eye condition before the second Cotto fight Top Rank was gonna move to Mississippi or Arturo Gatti having a functional 25-30 pound weight advantage over Joey Gamache. To say someone has a point about this but you believe they would be at risk of their career being over by being put in a potentially deadly situation (think Mike Perez vs. Magomed Abdusalamov) is morbid and contradictory at the same time. I believe you might never fight again if you take this fight AND also the promotion should have to keep this fight on the bill. Wait, what? Moreover, if the fight is in jeopardy of being canceled in your absurdly wrong opinion that it would be not sanctioned because of this...WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT OF KEEPING IT? That makes no sense at all. What in the hell are you talking about? In order for you to stand on one thing, it necessitates you back off the other to not sound like a complete dumbass.

Iaquinta seems like a considerable step down for Kevin Lee, but most everybody else above him in rankings official and unofficial is tied up for one reason or another. Would've liked to see Lee vs. Diaz in the near future.

Does Iaquinta do anything better than Lee? He seems like a seriously inferior version of his opponent.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Iaquinta seems like a considerable step down for Kevin Lee, but most everybody else above him in rankings official and unofficial is tied up for one reason or another. Would've liked to see Lee vs. Diaz in the near future.

Does Iaquinta do anything better than Lee? He seems like a seriously inferior version of his opponent.

I gotta go back and watch the first fight. But it's obviously a better version of Kevin Lee and Lee probably wants that one back.

Khabib appears to be getting the hang of the whole media circus deal. First he said he'd had a WWE offer, and now he's challenged Mayweather.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Two news notes:

- Eddie Alvarez has signed with ONE officially.

- Corey Anderson vs. Ilir Latifi has been added to the UFC 232 card.

Is Eddie Alvarez trying to set some sort of record for fighting in every possible organization?