DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

UFC 228 only drew 130K buys. 

0 plus 0 = 0

Also, why the fuck are you restating what I already said? In addition, do we not understand the context how Demetrious Johnson PPVs and other non supercards were drawing that or around that routinely BEFORE WME-IMG bought Zuffa and then eventually got all of Zuffa by acquiring Flash Entertainment's portion as well. If they were that good, they would still be with Zuffa. At best, it was a lateral move because Bellator itself is insulated by being owned by a media empire (one in turmoil but still) whereas in 3 or 4 years PPV will mean not that much to the UFC. These giant PPVs that draw like the one this week will just be icing on the cake. I'm not sure what that has to do with 230 because Shevchenko vs. Eubanks is going to be largely showing ad time with Diaz vs. Poirier. We're in a space now where Woodley vs. Till being advertised along with Shevchenko vs. Montano is honestly interchangeable. Woodley can draw decent against Wonderboy Thompson standalone at 209 but the inactivity and the fact that the PPV main event people in decent numbers did show up to buy stunk. Whereas Cyborg gave you a good fight with Holly Holm (380k) and still did pretty damn respectable against Yana Kunitskaya (260k). That's not a matter of marketing muscle as much as out of sight, out of mind. McGregor can stave off that by being Conor McGregor. Not to blame Tyron at all, but no one who isn't a superstar can shake that contentious relationship with Zuffa or not. Cyborg vs. Nunes is going to do better than most PPVs this year and guess what...not exactly in a good place with Zuffa. However, she fights semi-regularly and the only thing really going against her is lack of opponents.

And maybe anyone who buys into this generic marketing thing needs to go back and thoroughly read one or two MMA talk threads back where I spoke to this. I literally asked how any marketing or whatever done by Zuffa (at that time, months away from being bought) could be done differently to make superstars and the number of substantial answers I got was virtually the same as the formula above: ZERO. So let's not make it seem like pre new regime was something stellar with the way they were marketing people. Also, if we're discussing UFC 230 being a great card with a weak main event...that's card order rather than marketing. Again, no matter which fight is listed first in the ad, the same effect is going to take place. It would be a big difference if people watched the shoulder programming. People don't. So the fact one fight gets covered 5 to 10 minutes on a Countdown show and the main event gets 20 minutes doesn't matter like it did six or seven years ago. People have known about Nate being on this card and fighting months before this main event came on. Keep in mind, this is going to be advertised heavy on a PPV that's going to sell at least a million buys if not McGregor vs. Diaz numbers. If you decide I was going to buy the fight for Nate but now I don't want to, then 99.9 % you weren't going to buy it anywhere. Also keep in mind, we got Demetrious Johnson vs. Chris Cariaso not last month...not last year but four years ago last week. That wasn't under this current regime and in terms of talent, Eubanks and Valentina are way closer than DJ and a dude who looked like he was about to shit himself on the way to the cage. You can't try to provide info and support it with no context.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:13 AM, The Natural said:

To be fair, he's said multiple times in the last couple years that there are so many fighters and so many fights now that it's way too much to keep track of. He tries to keep up, but it's tough to do when he's also constantly working club dates, touring, etc.

I don't blame the guy. There's so many nameless, faceless individuals and so many cards to follow. that unless this was your only job, I don't see how you could keep up.

Hell, even if it was your only job, it would be tough. Joe Silva had to at least think once or twice about how much a nightmare booking fights would be with such a huge roster

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To be fair, he's said multiple times in the last couple years that there are so many fighters and so many fights now that it's way too much to keep track of. He tries to keep up, but it's tough to do when he's also constantly working club dates, touring, etc.

I don't blame the guy. There's so many nameless, faceless individuals and so many cards to follow. that unless this was your only job, I don't see how you could keep up.

Hell, even if it was your only job, it would be tough. Joe Silva had to at least think once or twice about how much a nightmare booking fights would be with such a huge roster

I used to be someone who recognized almost every fighter on the UFC roster, even if I had only seen them once or twice.  Now I watch main card fights and wonder who I'm watching, look them up, and realize I've seen them fight 5 or 6 times.  They really do have too many fights, too many fighters, and too many events to keep up with.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

To be fair, he's said multiple times in the last couple years that there are so many fighters and so many fights now that it's way too much to keep track of.

Rogan was routinely mixing up people prior to the announcing shakeup. It's unfair to compare him to Stann, who actually does research above and beyond, but compared to Anik, Hardy, and Gooden, he is pretty awful and been for a long time. Felder hasn't been doing commentary for 2 years and he's better than Rogan with face recognition and other critical stuff. I think it's best to have DC or Cruz with him and Anik because I can't imagine him doing a regular two man team unless Anik has to carry the whole thing. Jimmy Smith is basically a better upgraded version of Rogan because his recall isn't something from 12 years ago. Brendan Fitzgerald has been solid for all the shows he has worked so Rogan by default is the worst UFC commentator. Personally, he would fit in better with Goldberg and Big John on Bellator because they're clearly asking them to be what the UFC commentary team was ten years ago except BJM can keep his composure during the heat of a fight and actually knows the rules.

• Like 1

If this is true, I think this says more about Brock and not being ready/able in time than whether Derrick Lewis is a worthy title competitor.  If he thought his balls was hot in that last fight, imagine having Cormier riding you all night. 

• Like 3

That is awesome and I hope it gets finalized. DC can get touched so it's far from a sure thing and that's a way more exciting fight than Eubanks/Shevchenko. Speaking of, that fight still isn't signed. I thought it was but then I think Meltzer mentioned it hadn't just a few days ago. I wonder if they can get Lewis vs. DC official will they still go ahead with that shit show?

Is there any chance they make Diaz vs. Poirier five rounds? 

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That is awesome and I hope it gets finalized. DC can get touched so it's far from a sure thing and that's a way more exciting fight than Eubanks/Shevchenko. Speaking of, that fight still isn't signed. I thought it was but then I think Meltzer mentioned it hadn't just a few days ago. I wonder if they can get Lewis vs. DC official will they still go ahead with that shit show?

Is there any chance they make Diaz vs. Poirier five rounds? 

Something that nobody picked up on in the Okamoto (?) interview with Dana a day before 229 where he said he was still working on the main event for 230. Then at the final 229 presser, he said he was still working on fights for 230. So who knows what is up for 230? I think Shevchenko vs. Eubanks was a placeholder because tickets were going onsale.

As far as Diaz vs. Poirier, Dana said he was interested in it being five rounds. However, I haven't heard a followup on it but I'm safely assuming that wasn't a priority after the 229 post fight presser.

• Like 1

Lewis fighting for a UFC title is a terrible idea IMO. Also, what happened to Cormier vs. Brock Lesnar? Wasn't that the fight they wanted? What is going on at WME?

Lewis also doing a turnaround like that is also a terrible idea. He just fought last Saturday and you are going to book him in a title fight less than a month later? That's asinine. Let's not forget, that Volkov fight wasn't all that great until that last second finish.

• Like 1

Were we not around last December? Or was I the only one watching the fights? 

Derrick is getting his title shot if the rumor is correct for the same reason Ngannou got his title shot: the UFC is striking while the iron is hot. This is likely the most popular Derrick Lewis will ever be getting the KO on the most watched UFC PPV of all time. Hell, Ngannou can't even say that and they replayed the Overeem bout on Fox. The amount of attention that comeback KO attracted was insane especially given it's Derrick Lewis. Cormier vs. Lewis would potentially do better business than Miocic vs. Ngannou did. That's what's going on at Endeavor. 

As for Brock, they can't do anything with just an intention to come back. He isn't eligible until January 2019 anyway. DC wants to make as much money as he can before he retires. If he decides to take that fight, it's because of the money just like Lesnar and Jones fights.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think they thought Volkov would smoke him and they could run DC/Volkov real quick.

I think they would have given Volkov a title shot but not necessarily at the Garden.

However, it all depends on Cormier and Volkov just winning an easy decision doesn't really put him the driver's seat. Not that it matters now, but it was going to be 50/50 at best for Volkov on him getting a title shot or instead another title eliminator.

Lewis has five weeks to train for a title match, having only fought three days ago? Nothing can possibly go wrong. At least it will still be on BT sport.

• Like 1

Let it be said here and now, this fight is a bad idea and it's going to be embarrassing to watch. This is a four week turnaround for a guy who doesn't really have good cardio in the first place.  

Not to mention, Lewis got rocked multiple times in that fight and probably shouldn't be cleared to fight at all, just like Bisping in China after getting annihilated by GSP.

Also, I know medical suspensions are not always mandatory and you can get some doctor clearance, but Lewis also is medically suspended for 11/6, no contact until October 28. 

So if you genuinely do care about fighter safety and that's a major issue or talking point for anyone, just saying.

Yeah the rematch is going to happen if Dana White has any say. FML.