DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On 7/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

To be fair, the last time Oscar was associated with MMA, both were still semi-relevant and his co-promoter was seven years from becoming President of the United States. It's like the money men behind the WWE Greatest Royal Rumble wanting Ultimate Warrior on the show. I mean it is what it is.

Well, at least it's Pillow-hands Ortiz, not like someone that may actually hurt him. Since we know the Bones Jones fight isn't going to happen, I thought of some other potentially interesting fights for Chuck

Darkness Crabtree - No longer exclusively on the Chikara roster, Crabtree (unlike C.M. Punk) has absorbed a vast amount of knowledge of MMA over the years. Conceivably the only competitor actually older than Chuck, a fight between these two wily veterans could be human chess at its best; or it could stink up the joint... YMMV.

James Ellsworth - In MMA and boxing we hear the term "he has no chin" used as a pejorative for a fighter who can't take a punch. But let's look at the term literally, how do you knock out a man who actually has no chin? How do you hit a guy "right on the button" when there's no button to hit? Ellsworth brings a unique set of problems that might baffle even the most elite of strikers.

Flo from Progressive Insurance - Lacking opponents willing to face her in her own weight class, we can see Flo moving up and crossing the gender line to fight Chuck. Irrepressible and literally omnipresent, there is simply no escaping Flo, she's everywhere at once and bubbling with a horrifying enthusiasm. Figuring out how to combat such an unorthodox individual is a challenge that only the very best would accept. 

Colby Covington - He could easily come up in weight for the fight. Sadly, he'd probably kill Chuck, but I hold out a faint hope of one of those lightning fast right crosses knocking the smirk off of this smug asshat's face. Nothing would please me more than to see this piece of **** get his ass handed to him by a 48 year-old Liddell. Yeah, not bloody likely, but it's nice to dream. At the very least, maybe Chuck can whack him with a boomerang.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Well, at least it's Pillow-hands Ortiz, not like someone that may actually hurt him. Since we know the Bones Jones fight isn't going to happen, I thought of some other potentially interesting fights for Chuck

Darkness Crabtree - No longer exclusively on the Chikara roster, Crabtree (unlike C.M. Punk) has absorbed a vast amount of knowledge of MMA over the years. Conceivably the only competitor actually older than Chuck, a fight between these two wily veterans could be human chess at its best; or it could stink up the joint... YMMV.

James Ellsworth - In MMA and boxing we hear the term "he has no chin" used as a pejorative for a fighter who can't take a punch. But let's look at the term literally, how do you knock out a man who actually has no chin? How do you hit a guy "right on the button" when there's no button to hit? Ellsworth brings a unique set of problems that might baffle even the most elite of strikers.

Flo from Progressive Insurance - Lacking opponents willing to face her in her own weight class, we can see Flo moving up and crossing the gender line to fight Chuck. Irrepressible and literally omnipresent, there is simply no escaping Flo, she's everywhere at once and bubbling with a horrifying enthusiasm. Figuring out how to combat such an unorthodox individual is a challenge that only the very best would accept. 

Colby Covington - He could easily come up in weight for the fight. Sadly, he'd probably kill Chuck, but I hold out a faint hope of one of those lightning fast right crosses knocking the smirk off of this smug asshat's face. Nothing would please me more than to see this piece of **** get his ass handed to him by a 48 year-old Liddell. Yeah, not bloody likely, but it's nice to dream. At the very least, maybe Chuck can whack him with a boomerang.

The Sweatergree was a sweet Finisher! 

The coaches of the 28th (and potentially final ever) season of The Ultimate Fighter are Robert Whittaker and Kelvin Gastelum. The two coaches will fight for Whittaker's middleweight title later this year. I'm assuming either in Toronto at UFC 231 on 12/8, which was just announced, or the NYE card in Vegas.

The UFC is again working on Cyborg vs. Nunes. Cyborg wants the fight in Dallas on 9/8. Nunes wants it to happen on the year end show in Vegas on 12/29. It looks like if it goes down it might be the latter unless they reach a compromise.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:54 AM, The Natural said:

Fuck off, Conor. Also Joe Calzaghie lookalike spotted.

Fucker makes me ashamed to be Irish.

• Like 1

Alexa Grasso's injury was a ruptured LCL but it's less serious than it sounds. She won't need surgery. She will do three weeks of therapy and get it evaluated from there.

The UFC's 25th anniversary card in Denver will be headlined by Frankie Edgar vs. Chan Sung Jung. The presumptive co-main event will be Cowboy Cerrone vs. Mike Perry, which is weird because that now technically is teammate vs. teammate. But if they don't have any problem with that, I don't either.

Can we please get some protective bubble wrap out though?

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

A third notable middleweight bout has been added to the 11/3 MSG PPV card: Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Borrachinha.

Oh fuuuuuck, that'll be intense. Costa is patient enough that I could see him outlasting Romero, though I'd love to see that fight over five rounds. Two yoked out of their minds middleweights with huge power and quick release. I am SO down for that.

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Oh fuuuuuck, that'll be intense. Costa is patient enough that I could see him outlasting Romero, though I'd love to see that fight over five rounds. Two yoked out of their minds middleweights with huge power and quick release. I am SO down for that.

For whatever reason, I can see that going the other way round just because Paulo did slow down at points against Hall. Granted, he was likely frustrated that Uriah was jabbing his face off. The thing here is third round and beyond Yoel Romero is essentially the third quarter in the playoffs 2017-2018 Golden State Warriors. Yoel can drop two rounds clearly by doing absolutely nothing and then blow your doors off. Something tells me this doesn't go like Borrachinha's last appearance at the Garden against Johny Hendricks. If both guys decide to fight in bursts to preserve themselves, it's going to be slow and pedestrian fight that Borrachinha can win just based on simple math. However, if he gets overconfident by the success he is having and doesn't stop Romero, that could get ugly if and when Romero decides to turn it on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Oh fuuuuuck, that'll be intense. Costa is patient enough that I could see him outlasting Romero, though I'd love to see that fight over five rounds.

Yeah, I don't know about that.  Costa is a really talented young fighter, but that is a really big step up.  Costa was getting hit with some decent shots against Hall, I don't think he walks through those if they are coming from Romero.  Romero is the most explosively powerful fighter he's most likely ever going to fight, and I don't think his defensive game is nearly good enough to stand up to that.