DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

IMO Bisping deserves a Hall of Fame slot for a number of reasons. But props to him. It took him 10 years to get a title shot and he finally got it and made the most of it. 

With his eye issues, it's a good time for him to stop. I maintain his taking that Gastelum fight three weeks after getting stomped by GSP was moronic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

IMO Bisping deserves a Hall of Fame slot for a number of reasons. But props to him. It took him 10 years to get a title shot and he finally got it and made the most of it. 

With his eye issues, it's a good time for him to stop. I maintain his taking that Gastelum fight three weeks after getting stomped by GSP was moronic. 

I have to think if Michael Bisping didn't take the Kevin Gastelum fight, he would have faced Luke Rockhold when Robert Whittaker was ruled out at UFC 221 for the Interim UFC Middleweight Championship. The rubber fight.

I'd also give Michael Bisping a Hall of Fame spot:

UFC Middleweight Champion.

First British fighter to win a UFC title.

Face of British MMA for a long time.

TUF 3 Light Heavyweight Champion.

Tied for most wins in UFC history, 20

Tied for most fights in the UFC, 29.

Guest Edwin

Not that it means anything or really matters, but given the people in the UFC HOF, I think Bisping is a lock.

This Michael Bisping quote is on my Facebook:

"Listen I gotta be humble here, even though I want to be an arsehole."
Michael Bisping's post fight interview as the new UFC Middleweight Champion as he KTFO Luke Rockhold in the first round (2016)

LOL, this is almost like Misha Cirkunov all over again. A little more extreme, but whatever. 

That Darren Till video was disgusting. Dude should not be allowed to fight at 170 pounds after that. If you are killing yourself to make weight you are too heavy for your weight.

• Like 1

I'm watching the Tuesday Night Contender Series. After watching Greg Hardy's fight and technically pro debut (vs. another former NFL player Austen Lane), I can honestly say Greg Hardy can walk in and be a top 15 heavyweight on power alone. Still a bit awkward and Lane clipped him a little, but he has the mechanics of a right hand down pat. So far all three winners looked pretty impressive although one fight was foul filled.

Yeah that about describes it

Sam Alvey as a cornerman is basically a redheaded Greg Jackson and it's hilarious.

Alvey's fighter Chris Curtis won by a nice looking TKO. Herb was a little late on the stoppage but no harm no foul I guess.

Menifield, who was on last season and won via doctor stop, won in eight seconds after dropping his opponent with an overhand right as the guy threw a lazy high kick. Smallish light heavyweight but he is pretty good from what I've seen.

Even with the outside issues during his NFL run, I don't see how Hardy stays on the regional circuit with that type of potential in a super thin division. He will probably get one LFA fight or some journeyman with only a few fights thrown in the UFC to be his showcase opponent.

Chris De La Rocha who won last Saturday would be a solid first UFC opponent.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

That lazy high kick was funny.

And Chris Curtis won with a pretty rad superkick/hook kick. 

When Bisping said Menifield's opponent is too predictable with the high kick during the pre fight hype, I knew it was a precursor to something bad. Well at least we know Bisping is doing some tape study.

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

any truth the rumor of McGregor/Khabib at UFC 229? I'm seeing posts about it on Twitter and Reddit.

Well, Dana is scheduled to meet Conor this upcoming Monday. We will know soon if there is any truth to that.

If he has another court date on 7/26, you would be hard pressed to get someone (especially Conor McGregor of all people) to do a press tour with that looming over a potential fight. I mean they could just save money and do one presser before or after the weigh ins of UFC 226 or 227 to cut down on the madness.

But again, I would wait until any concrete news from Monday's meeting to surface before putting any weight on that fight. Nothing is official until it is official.