DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah I believe he mentioned that if you bring a bottle of his new whiskey you will get in to the press conference.  Because that is just what the UFC needs loud Irish fans hopped on cheap bottles of whiskey.   And given his habit for throwing shit, I doubt those whiskey bottle are plastic either

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Khabib is cool as ice. I love it.

Conor needs to ease up on the blow. Jesus.

Also, the crop of reporters at the presser was um...unique? I think that's the right word without being mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having the crowd present and bouncing to his words is the difference between McGregor being the class-clown whose buy-in from the rest of the students let's them mentally take over the classroom, to being the sort of ostracised class clown who is stuck out of the room sticking his nose up against the window. He came across as really rattled and stupid here; the irony being that while he criticised Khabib as being one to move in crowds, Conor's whole bravado and schtick rests upon having big crowds creating that crest of a wave for him to ride on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The issue with a 165 lb. championship is that for whatever reason they decided to have a 170 lb. championship when all the other weight divisons end with 5.  There is more than enough talent to have a new weight division every 10 pounds up until 185, but they fucked up in the beginning when they made it 170 instead of 175.  To their credit, they didn't have any idea that the majority of the fighters would be between 155 and 185, but now that we're here they need to adjust 170 to 175 and add a 165 division.  From there we need to figure out if the 170-pound champion is going to be the 165 or 175-pound champion...but it needs to change sooner than later.

• Like 2

Anyone read this bit of the board, but never go into the Bellator etc thread? Because Wanderlei Silva is fighting Rampage Jackson again this weekend, and it probably won't be very good. But it might be. Who knows?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone read this bit of the board, but never go into the Bellator etc thread? Because Wanderlei Silva is fighting Rampage Jackson again this weekend, and it probably won't be very good. But it might be. Who knows?

Meant to ask this last week with Joshua vs. Povetkin and the ESPN+ subscriber number coming out, but is anyone signing up for DAZN or at least doing the free trial? 

46 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Meant to ask this last week with Joshua vs. Povetkin and the ESPN+ subscriber number coming out, but is anyone signing up for DAZN or at least doing the free trial? 

I did. It's going to need a lot more content if I'm going to keep it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I did. It's going to need a lot more content if I'm going to keep it.

I'm really interested in the World Boxing Super Series season 2 stuff and Bellew vs. Usyk. 

It's going to be fascinating to see if DAZN can get a respectable subscription number and retain folks after the free trials especially seeing as Bellator's TV numbers have fell off the cliff and the World Boxing Super Series season 1 didn't have a TV home most of the way. The latter had like the first three or four fights on the Audience network on tape delay and then the rest aired for free on Youtube for the U.S. market until the finals IIRC. With the former, how invested are MMA fans in keeping track of which Bellator shows are on DAZN exclusively and which ones are on Paramount Network? I imagine it can't be that many.

Do you folks in America get NFL Sunday Ticket/Redzone as part of your subscription or is that just in Canada? Because you'd think that alone would justify the purchase for a lot of people. I'm probably going to do up the trial Saturday for the Bellator show. Gegard vs. Rory is a rad fight. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Do you folks in America get NFL Sunday Ticket/Redzone as part of your subscription or is that just in Canada? Because you'd think that alone would justify the purchase for a lot of people. I'm probably going to do up the trial Saturday for the Bellator show. Gegard vs. Rory is a rad fight. 

MMA (Bellator), Boxing, Soccer, Cycling, and Cricket. And I have no use for the last three.

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

MMA (Bellator), Boxing, Soccer, Cycling, and Cricket. And I have no use for the last three.

Combate Americas is part of that MMA lineup as well.

Anyway, according to Brett Okamoto via Dana White text, the goal for UFC 232 is Jones vs. Gustafsson II but it's far from official. An official bout that was just booked for 232 is Carlos Condit vs. Michael Chiesa in his welterweight debut.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:31 AM, AxB said:

Just found out Bellator is with Channel 5 and Bellator 206 will be shown live this weekend. I suck.