DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah, this is a fun conversation. I love how enthusiastic BJM is and I loved them talking about Gerald Harris. That's a dude who never got his due and I'm still bitter at him being cut after one fucking loss especially since he was 3-0 in the UFC before that loss. It's bullshit. Dude is a good fighter (even if he just got subbed).

I agree Harris shouldn't have been cut. At the very least, he should've been given another chance after that one bad fight with Falcao, who turned out to be a disaster and total basket case for MMA.

Even Thales Leites was allowed to come back after his total shit show against Anderson Silva.

The TUF tryouts are going on for women's featherweight and male heavyweight fighters. Based on tweets and pictures early on, Cindy Dandois, Elizabeth Phillips, Alexis Dufresne, and Pannie Kianzad are there. Cyborg is watching the tryouts like a coach during rookie OTAs.

I'll miss Michael Bisping, 2016 was his year beating Anderson Silva, Luke Rock hold getting KTFO on 17 days notice to win the UFC Middleweight Championship and defending it in the UK against Dan Henderson. Shame the Count didn't call it after losing the belt to St Pierre in 2017 instead of getting knocked out cold to Gastelum only 3 weeks after the GSP fight. TUF 3 winner and won 20/29 fights in the Octagon.

• Like 1

That greedy afters from Hendo is what fucked his eye up, right? Is this really the best they can make it look, even just cosmetically? Shit is so nasty and as much as I disliked Bisping back then and laughed at the completely unnecessary flying forearm, that shit ain't cool.

I think it was the Heavy Hands guys who said Bisping was the fighter who got the absolute most out of the least, more so than anybody in the sport's history and I can't disagree. His only true high end, exceptional ability was his endurance and thusly his output.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That greedy afters from Hendo is what fucked his eye up, right? Is this really the best they can make it look, even just cosmetically? Shit is so nasty and as much as I disliked Bisping back then and laughed at the completely unnecessary flying forearm, that shit ain't cool.

I think it was the Heavy Hands guys who said Bisping was the fighter who got the absolute most out of the least, more so than anybody in the sport's history and I can't disagree. His only true high end, exceptional ability was his endurance and thusly his output.

Fighters hitting their opponent when out cold is something I don't like. Same goes for keeping on a submission when the fighter's tapped/referee's seen it and fighters missing weight. 

Who would have guessed Bisping would be the one to unravel the Chris Weidman and Luke Rockhold are the long term future of the middleweight division talking point/narrative?

In terms of legacy, his 2016 run was something he desperately needed to avoid being a career fringe contender who was a strong local draw. 

Also, I gotta kick out of his ability to just shit talk almost everyone whether he was gonna his ass kicked or not. For a long time, Bisping was one of the few fighters who understood how to promote fights and knew how to bask in being a super obnoxious heel. If I want to see your fights no matter who the opponent is, you are doing something right.

• Like 2

Probably my all time favorite male fighter of the era, from TUF 3 to now. Always got excited for his fights and marked huge for the 2016 run from beating Silva to most especially the title win, great moment. Forever one of the all time great walkouts as well with Song 2. I'll miss him in the Octagon for sure, was hoping he'd have one more fight to go out on but probably for the best, always enjoy his analyst work too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fighters hitting their opponent when out cold is something I don't like. Same goes for keeping on a submission when the fighter's tapped/referee's seen it and fighters missing weight. 

I'm glad it got mentioned, but I hated the reaction by some to the afters punch by Henderson. Somehow it was considered acceptable because Bisping had heeled it up in the run up to the fight. Punching someone who has no means to defend themselves is never acceptable and is also the type of aura the sport has struggled at times to move away from.

• Like 3

Between the TRT and the flying forearm, Hendo got away with a lot of shit that would (rightfully) turn folks against anyone else.

I like Dan Henderson and the cool old dad vibe is what it is, but that was always strange to me because people go so hard in the opposite direction for someone else. The same people that were snapping on Toquinho for doing whatever were the same people cheering on Hendo doing his Macho Man Randy Savage routine on a prone opponent when the fight was clearly over. Imagine if Bisping did that in the rematch on a stiff, out cold Dan Henderson. People would call for UFC to ban Michael Bisping forever like Paul Daley.

• Like 3