DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

It's too early in the morning for me to even begin to understand the new UFC/ESPN deal. It looks like Fight Pass got swallowed up by ESPN+? Or am I reading it wrong? And it seems like traditional TV rights are still up for grabs?

@Elsalvajeloco clue us all in.

• Like 1

upon first look, it looks like the ESPN+ deal is in ADDITION to fight pass. 

it specifically mentions you can watch Fight Pass through ESPN+ for an additional charge, so i think they are two separate entities.

and yeah, it does not include a major traditional tv deal, so still we wait.....

Fight Pass isn't being replaced. It will exist like it used to. ESPN will now broadcast fights on ESPN+ and the ESPN cable channel, but another article made it look like this was just ESPN+. UFC PPVs can be viewed on ESPN+. The deal is for 15 events, but I can't tell if that's 15 events per year or what.

There's no change to the UFC PPV model.

As far as I can tell, this is the new TV deal. Contender, new UFC TV shows, pre and post fight content, and more will all be on ESPN+.

So are these ESPN+ fights in addition to PPVs and Fight Nights?  Or are these shows going to be Fight Nights, because that would really make the Fight Nights less valuable.  If these are extra on top of the PPVs and Fight Nights, how many people do they expect to watch these fights, because I don't see many people signing up for this just to watch jobber matches.  There are far too many fights as it is.  I watch as many fights as anyone, and there are far too many fights for me to keep up with.  

31 minutes ago, twiztor said:

upon first look, it looks like the ESPN+ deal is in ADDITION to fight pass. 

it specifically mentions you can watch Fight Pass through ESPN+ for an additional charge, so i think they are two separate entities.

It's probably in the same vein of how Amazon Prime offers me HBO.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

So are these ESPN+ fights in addition to PPVs and Fight Nights?  Or are these shows going to be Fight Nights, because that would really make the Fight Nights less valuable.  If these are extra on top of the PPVs and Fight Nights, how many people do they expect to watch these fights, because I don't see many people signing up for this just to watch jobber matches.  There are far too many fights as it is.  I watch as many fights as anyone, and there are far too many fights for me to keep up with.  

Since this looks like the TV deal, these are the Fight Nights and UFC on (Name of Network Here) that currently appear on FS1, FX, and Fox. It wouldn't be in addition to whatever is on Fox.

I read a couple more news stories and it does look like it will be 15 shows spread across the ESPN channel and ESPN+ with the majority appearing on ESPN+.

Ok, this may be the best explanation I've seen - http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/ufc-espn-rights-deal-1202802598/

ESPN and its subscription-based broadband service, ESPN+, will offer mixed-martial arts fans a new array of UFC matches and special programming under a new rights deal unveiled Tuesday.

The pact, the first between ESPN and UFC, calls for the two companies to stream 15 live UFC events exclusively on ESPN+ under the title “UFC on ESPN+ Fight Night.” Each will deliver a full card of 12 UFC bouts.  ESPN will make available a variety of UFC content across its cable networks and digital outlets, including an exclusive, 30-minute special on ESPN’s linear networks previewing upcoming bouts and breaking down match ups leading up to each UFC pay per view event, along with hundreds of hours of UFC library programming  and re-airs of current UFC PPV events.

Such a deal has been anticipated since Variety reported in April that ESPN and Fox Sports were willing to split rights to gain access to a broader package of telecasts. At the time, ESPN had signaled that it would be willing to pay $120 million to $180 million per year to add the Endeavor-owned mixed martial arts league to its collection of live-event rights. Meanwhile, Fox, which currently pays $120 million per year UFC rights, would be willing see that number increase to a little more than $200 million. Fox’s current package includes four Saturday-night fights per year on Fox Broadcasting and a number of fight events on cabler Fox Sports 1 that has increased annually under its current agreement.

“I couldn’t be more excited to partner with The Walt Disney Company and ESPN on an agreement that will continue to grow our sport. UFC has always done deals with the right partners at the right time and this one is no exception,” said Dana White, UFC’s president, in a prepared statement. ” We will now have the ability to deliver fights to our young fan base wherever they are and whenever they want it.” UFC’s fan base is among the youngest in U.S. professional sports, with a median age of 40 and an audience comprising 40% millennials.

In addition to the live events and content included in the ESPN+ subscription, fight fans will be able to purchase and watch the UFC’s own streaming offering, UFC Fight Pass, for a separate cost, via the ESPN outlet.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:04 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Also, Cub Swanson vs. Renato Moicano is being worked on.

Update:....Well about Yair vs. Zabit

Damn shame, but Combate Americas is gonna snatch Yair up with quickness. Just my opinion, but it sounds like Yair had second thoughts about the Zabit fight and probably wanted a proper tuneup being out so long. It's a big risk (prospect w/ a ton of momentum vs. one who lost a lot of his) and big reward fight.

Huh... I wouldn't want to face Magomedsharipov if I were Rodriguez either, so I get it. But UFC fighters have fuck all leverage in this set-up, so I'm not shocked.

8 hours ago, Edwin said:

God, I would love to see Yair fight in a RIZIN ring.

I think if possible, he should do a non exclusive deal with Combate Americas which would open up the chance to compete in Asia.

If Oscar is really doing Golden Boy MMA or whatever the hell it's suppose to be, I don't know how he doesn't sign Yair if or when Yair officially gets released. Then again, De La Hoya ain't the brightest bulb.

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

They shouldn't have cut the guy.

Granted Yair is a level above him, I'm surprised they let Goyito go off a three fight win streak. If they're focusing on Latin America and not Mexico specifically, those guys become super expendable especially if they don't need local Hispanic fighters to sell in those markets. Hitz Boxing can sell tickets at the UIC Pavilion because they can find Polish fighters like Andrzej Fonfara and Artur Szpilka whether their top tier fighters or not. As a fighter, if you turn down fights in Chicago vs. another Hispanic fighter from the area in Ricardo Lamas and Los Angeles vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov where there has been a good solid niche fanbase for folks from Russia and the former USSR, you're going to be in a shitload of trouble. He made a boneheaded move and of course, the UFC was gonna to come with the overcorrection.

On the verge of signing another TV deal to being their combined TV rights fees to no lower than $350 MILLION per year (remember when VileOne said they wouldn't get 400 million?) for 2019 and beyond, someone who is going to be a headache is not going to be on the roster for long. Hi, Leslie Smith!

This is going be a trend so get ready.

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

They should fire Nate Diaz too while they are at it. According to Dana White, he's not a draw and doesn't move the needle. He's turned down six fights since the last fight with Conor McGregor.

The UFC should fire Larry the Cable Guy. What is that guy's problem?

he hasn't fought since 2010.

he lost 5 of his last 6, 4 of those by ko/tko.

the last time he won by ko/tko was ufc 66. against tito ortiz.

yes, fighting again sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1