DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Brightburn

Superman's origin story imagined as a horror movie (obviously no actual mention of Superman/Clark Kent)

James Gunn is a producer. It's written by his brothers.

• Like 4

A lot of that stuff is pretty shot for shot with Man of Steel. Like when Kick Ass did shot for shot copies of Spider-Man scenes.

Maybe belongs in the music section, but I never venture in there.

Just got back from seeing Claudio Simonetti's Goblin live-scoring a showing of the original Suspiria. This was the closing show of their North American tour. Weirdly they were playing the American south the last week or so and then flew up to Winnipeg for this show.

Cool show to see. About the only issue were a few audience members who decided that it was an opportunity to attempt Mystery Science Theatre. They were terrible, the level of jokes included "Oooh get lit, girl!" when there was a shot of Susy drinking wine. One of the dudes kept blowing spit bubbles with his beer, so maybe I shouldn't make fun, there could be some issues there. The rest of the crowd was good, everyone got really into the gore (biggest cheer came when Susy killed the bat), though I think some where not sure what to think about how overly expressive Italian films are.

After the showing, they stuck around an played an additional half hour or so of songs from stuff like Tenebrae, Deep Red, Phenomena, the Zombi films, etc. The Tenebrae cut was especially good.

Annoying crowd and a real hot venue aside, well worth the $40 I spent.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, J.T. said:

Speaking of Face / Off, I totally forgot that I DVRed Les Yeux Sans Visage (1960) when it was on TCM this past Halloween.

Eyeswithoutaface_poster.jpg

I need to sit down and watch it one day soon.

Sat down and watched this on Monday since post was closed due to snow.  A total masterpiece.

Watched SireN on Syfy On Demand during Snow Day #2 on Tuesday.

Siren_poster.jpg

This was better than I thought it was going to be.  It was a pretty good story expansion of an already clever short.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought for sure that Rippa would've posted the new trailer for Us here while I was on an enforced internet sabbatical during Christmas vacation, but Dolfan posted it in the main Upcoming Movie thread.... where it belongs.... because it looks like it is going to be fucking AMAZING~!

Waking up at 6:30 AM in the pitch black, it just struck me as to what the meaning of "I Got Five On It" means for Us. 

1. I am stupid

2. I deserve this

3. There is no fucking way I'm going back to sleep now

This is what happens when you watch something at work with way more relevance than it deserves at the time

• Like 1

Movie looks good, I'm more excited for it than I was when Get Out trailers came out. 

I know some people will like the reference but I think reusing the Daniel Kaluuya crying face with Lupita cheapens the them both.

One of the things I find really interesting about the Us trailer, following Get Out, is that Peele seems to be really emphasizing the experience of black culture interacting with white folks in America. The trailer has a family going to vacation in a rich looking cabin with what looks to be all rich white friends (their buddy got a boat) and I feel like the idea of 'other' selves could play off that. Especially since, while they say the other family is trying to kill them, the trailer has multiple instances where they could and don't. 

Admittedly I'm a white as hell Canadian so feel free to correct me, but this seems to lay plenty of groundwork to go as deep or deeper into racial/cultural/identity stuff as Get Out did and I'm hyped to see it then read a shitload of breakdowns after.