DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Horror Express was one of those titles that was ubiquitous in the 80s and early 90s, as everyone had a copy on VHS.

When I got my first standalone DVD player in 1998, Horror Express was one of the first titles I picked up.

I believe I still have the Image DVD of this title in storage.

Looking on Amazon it seems that Severin put out a Blu-Ray some years back.

What an amazing atmosphere of dread this movie portrays.

Something about that train speeding through the snowy landscape that gives it such a feeling of isolation.

When Telly hits the stage, though, it's all bets are off.

One of my all time favorites.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 11:14 PM, Brian Fowler said:

It's too bad nobody with name value that was in the early movies still has a living character to bring back like Jamie Lee Curtis. I mean, you and I would mark out for Ginny, but I don't think Amy Steel sells many tickets.

Then again, I liked the 2009 movie more then just about all the zombie Jason movies except JvF.

They could try finding a way to ratcon Kevin Bacon into a remake... 

It would be hilarious to have him show up as a crazed relative looking for his nephew's killer a la Dennis Hopper in Texas Chainsaw 2. Actually, thinking about it, that would be a perfect role for Crispin Glover instead. 

Horror Express was everywhere because it's public domain. I remember staring at that video box with blood leaking out of Telly's eyes with awe as a youngin'. Funny thing is I STILL don't have a copy of it, and have only seen it at a friend's house ages ago (where I believe I was actually just left to my own devices while people partied haha).

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Horror Express was one of those titles that was ubiquitous in the 80s and early 90s, as everyone had a copy on VHS.

What an amazing atmosphere of dread this movie portrays.

Something about that train speeding through the snowy landscape that gives it such a feeling of isolation.

Yeah, I still believe that Ridley Scott must've watched Horror Express at least twice before filming Alien. 

Both films make extensive use of cinematography to magnify dread through the isolationist qualities you mentioned, plus the claustrophobic element of being trapped in the confined space of a speeding vehicle with a monster on the prowl and there is no real means of escape.

Tales from the Hood 2 was solid enough, albeit cheesier than the first. The last segment before the wraparound was brutal. It also features a particularly woeful song over the end credits that was partially written by Rusty Cundieff. Somebody should tell dude that some things can be outsourced...

I agree about Overlord. Was totally not expecting the movie we got. Not that I thought it was going to be outright bad or anything, but it was quite good. It was a basically just a movie about a platoon during WWII for an hour or so until they go underground and find.....what they find. Pleasantly surprised by it and really enjoyed it.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:41 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Tales from the Hood 2 was solid enough, albeit cheesier than the first. The last segment before the wraparound was brutal. It also features a particularly woeful song over the end credits that was partially written by Rusty Cundieff. Somebody should tell dude that some things can be outsourced...

I'm going to revisit it soon.  I had a hard time getting past the acting in "Good Golly".  The girl that was looking for the doll, she played Paisley on this Disney pre-teen show A.N.T. Farm that my daughter used to enjoy.  Her acting has *not* improved.

Count me in on the Horror Express love. Genuinely creepy, ridiculous science ("Their brains are smooth! It took their memories!") and Telly Savalas is totally miscast and is totally amazing.

Went to see Suspiria last night. Fucking loved it. It has been about 10 years since I've seen the original and I know this goes in its own direction, but I think this was a fine movie in its own right. Gorgeous, creepy, campy, gory, unsettlingly sexy. The dance scenes were especially intense.

At over 2.5 hours it is long, but breaking it up into chapters keeps it moving. Which is funny because my main complaint with Bad Times at the El Royale is that the chapters slowed it way down and by the time you get to the last couple, you're like "seriously, there's more?" If I was to cut anything, I would have only done one dream montage, instead of two and cut Klemperer's role down a bit (specifics in spoiler). There's nothing you really learn in the second montage that you don't see in the first.

Dakota Johnson was quite good, though she isn't asked to do too much, but I totally bought her at the end. This is really Mia Goth (as Sara) and Tilda Swinton's (as Mme Blanc and others) movie. Tilda Swinton for everything!

Spoilers for the end

Spoiler

My major complaint is that the epilogue focuses on Dr. Klemperer. It is nice that he got some closure, but this wasn't his movie, he was just the witness. I don't think we needed to keep going back to him so much during the film. We know what he's out there doing, but this is a movie about the school, not his investigation.

Ending the movie with the shot of the carved "A + J" brought the focus on the wrong thing. I would have preferred a shot of Susie walking back into the dance studio, taking the place of Mme. Blanc.

I think Guadagnino knew this was Tilda owned this movie, especially with that last shot of her when they were cleaning up "Hey...she might not be dead!"

A couple people in the theatre didn't like it and I know its reviews have been up and down, but I was all in for it.

52 minutes ago, nate said:

I'm going to revisit it soon.  I had a hard time getting past the acting in "Good Golly".  The girl that was looking for the doll, she played Paisley on this Disney pre-teen show A.N.T. Farm that my daughter used to enjoy.  Her acting has *not* improved.

I should probably asterisk my review a bit because I was well into my cups for most of it and had to finish watching in the morning

• Like 1

The Girl with All the Gifts, that's a good movie. A bit of it was filmed round my way, so I'm biased. But not that biased, because it's really good anyway. Pretty different from the book, in that they race swapped basically every character in there, and the character who protaganised the ending was also changed. Also, right after the bit where they're in the old bus station, they go into an abandoned Hospital. And there's signs on the wall saying Woodhouse Ward this way, Georgina Ward that way. Which freaked me out because I've known Georgina Woodhouse for 15 years, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't involved in making the movie at all. It's good, watch it.

• Like 2

I know this movie was in the Halloween Havoc thread, but in the interest of not being a necromancer  I will talk about it here.

Watched Mandy (2018) with my wife last night.

She was okay with it, but she prefers her gore offscreen, and I'm still processing.

I'm confident that I saw a vision inspired by lots of magic mushrooms, Jodorowsky, George Miller/Mad Max, Celtic Frost, and Rob Zombie.

I do know that I will have to pick up the Blu-Ray and study it further.

Probably my favorite Cage role. (I'm a fan of old-school Marvel character Ghost Rider, so I gave him a pass for those two films.)

I really don't know where to begin or end with my feelings on the film.

The visuals and audio alone were enough for me to get lost for the 2+hour runtime.

The only question I have about the film is whether the Black Skulls were demons or aliens.

I now have to go listen to some King Crimson.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:03 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Probably my favorite Cage role. (I'm a fan of old-school Marvel character Ghost Rider, so I gave him a pass for those two films.)

How does it compare to Castor Troy?

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Hmmm. True enough.

But I would still consider Castor Troy to be a Nicholas Cage role since Nic establishes all of Troy's mannerisms and persona and Travolta just appears to emulate that pre-established behavior once he assumes the character

The sniff test is the final credits for the movie and they say:

John Travolta                    Sean Archer

Nicholas Cage                   Castor Troy

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

But I would still consider Castor Troy to be a Nicholas Cage role since Nic establishes all of Troy's mannerisms and persona and Travolta just appears to emulate that pre-established behavior once he assumes the character.

To go even further into the Castor Troy rabbit hole, it's gotta be Nicholas Cage On Steroids when Archer as Troy goes nuts in that prison fight, because we're watching Nicholas Cage play John Travolta playing Nicolas Cage.

Travolta talking about it on Inside the Actors Studio was fascinating. About how easy his job was because Cage has so many tics and tells and quirks. And about how he felt bad, because he didn't give Nic anything close to as much to work with because he's not that kind of actor.

It was a really good episode overall, actually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Travolta talking about it on Inside the Actors Studio was fascinating. About how easy his job was because Cage has so many tics and tells and quirks. And about how he felt bad, because he didn't give Nic anything close to as much to work with because he's not that kind of actor..

But Travolta not giving Cage anything to work with made it easier for us to tell the difference between Archer and Troy, which made each actor's role swapping ability seem even more phenomenal.  

I still marvel at their dual chameleon  performances in Face / Off to this day and wonder why Woo doesn't appear to be able to drag that kind of range out of anyone else.

• Like 1