DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

My wife and I are trying to slow roll this and not burn through it in one night, but it's so good.

We're half way through and it's been nuts.

This season has been hard to watch because it is pretty much couples therapy for me and my boo.  It does not help that the main characters are the same ethnicity as we are.

My boo has a lot of trust issues thanks to the bullshit from her previous marriage and I am a dude who still has something of a divorcee's mind set in that I am not used to explaining my comings and goings to anyone.  I know I'm not doing anything stupid, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the other side.

We see some of the troubling qualities from Jillian and Tom's relationship in our own, so letting the lessons from the first few episodes sink in was brutal.  It's slowly dawning on us that maybe she needs to trust more and maybe I should provide her with a little more call / response so that she will have reason to trust in me.

She also sees parallels between herself and Jillian's relationship with Pretzel Jack.  My boo tends to blame others for her bad behavior (it's your fault why I am so angry) rather than take ownership of her feelings and Pretzel Jack allows Jillian to keep her hands clean while he acts as the enforcer of her mistrust and rage.  Truth to power, man.

How they manage to incorporate such hard family and serious interpersonal relationship issues in such badass stories every season is something to behold.

• Like 2

Overlord has dropped from 93% Fresh to 88% Fresh, which is still pretty good.

It just now dawned on me that it will be opening up against The Girl In The Spider's Web.  it will be interesting to see how both films perform over the weekend.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Just when you thought that Pennywise was the scariest horror clown ever, Pretzel Jack from Channel Zero / Dream Door is making a strong run at his title.

Once I saw Troy James's name in the credits, I knew he was going to play Pretzel Jack.  I'd seen his act on America's Got Talent and I also think he was on Showtime At The Apollo.  

I checked out his iMDB profile.  He's had some bit parts, but this looks like it's his first major role.  Hey, Doug Jones made a career of playing monsters, so why not this guy?

He was also cast in the Flash as Ragdoll for later this season.

“I’m sitting here like any other scream queen in Hollywood, hoping that they revive their franchise. I’m not alone! I know of lots of other horror heroines who have this little bit of spring in their step thinking about the chance of perhaps being in [new versions of] the movies that they helped make famous as young people. It’s kind of crazy, but it’s definitely something I would love to do.”

-Heather Langenkamp

• Like 1

Let me just say, whatever restoration they were showing of Night of the Living Dead early this morning (2 AM or so) was AWESOME. I'm guessing it was a 4K for the 50th anniversary and I've never seen it look so good. For the first time I noticed you could see the breasts of the nude zombie (albeit covered in shadow) right after the full-on butt shot and before the zombie ate the bug on the tree. Not only that but -- and this is silly of me to never have noticed -- I realized that the font on the news reports for the rescue stations was the exact same one they used on all the EC comics back in the '50s. The italics gave it away. 

Shadows of the Dead was just on TCM so I caught the classic "Toby Dammit" segment by Fellini, with Terence Price as an actor fill-in for Poe, haunted by booze and a grinning little girl...

It's Halloween!  Normally, I just think "Tomorrow is payday", but this year, I decided to be something slightly different from the Halloween version of the Grinch. (BTW, what's the Halloween version of the Grinch?  I think we should know this by now.)

So, I bring to you a Halloween-themed meme of a scream queen making a scene.

CVSDQkJ.png

• Like 1

I knew Let the Right One In turned ten this year. The film came out in Sweden, October 2008.

I bought Let The Right One In on DVD and I watched it two times that day. The film was so well done: the story, the performances by the two young leads, Lina Leandersson as Eli and Kare Hedebrant as Oskar. The music by Johan Soderqvist, the cinematography of Hoyte van Hoytema all directed by Tomas Alfredson.

The relationship between Eli and Oskar is interesting as both are outsiders but become friends and continue to be even as Oskar learns what Eli actually is. We also see how both teach something to one another.

Let the Right One In received widespread critical acclaim and it’s justified. It’s a vampire movie, it’s a horror movie and it’s a great movie period. I took part in the Best Films of the 2000s and Greatest Movies of All Time projects here placing the movie 10th and 8th on my ballot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I knew Let the Right One In turned ten this year. The film came out in Sweden, October 2008.

I bought Let The Right One In on DVD and I watched it two times that day. The film was so well done: the story, the performances by the two young leads, Lina Leandersson as Eli and Kare Hedebrant as Oskar. The music by Johan Soderqvist, the cinematography of Hoyte van Hoytema all directed by Tomas Alfredson.

The relationship between Eli and Oskar is interesting as both are outsiders but become friends and continue to be even as Oskar learns what Eli actually is. We also see how both teach something to one another.

Let the Right One In received widespread critical acclaim and it’s justified. It’s a vampire movie, it’s a horror movie and it’s a great movie period. I took part in the Best Films of the 2000s and Greatest Movies of All Time projects here placing the movie 10th and 8th on my ballot.

One of the best vampire movies ever!  I had no idea it had been a decade since it was first released.

I am old.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

One of the best vampire movies ever!  I had no idea it had been a decade since it was first released.

I am old.

So am I, friend.

Films turned ten this year:

The Dark Knight, WALL-E, Let the Right One In, Iron Man, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Gran Torino, The Wrestler and Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

• Haha 1

Season finale of Channel Zero was wrapped up a bit too neatly for my liking and the twist was a bit much, but it was still a strong outing.

Spoiler

It turns out that Ian, the nosey next door neighbor,, was actually Jillian's half-brother.  It didn't really make sense at first, but the show managed to knit those ends together rather well.

Pretzel Jack wasn't technically the villain of the series.   He only went berserk because Jillian did not know how to control her abilities, while Ian was well studied in his powers and could easily direct his pet monster, Tall Boy. 

We find out that Ian used his powers to kill their father and then slowly manipulated Jillian into creating Pretzel Jack and refining her control over their shared gift of reality bending / matter manipulation.

Ian's ultimate goal appeared to be convincing his half-sister to help him go full Warlock and use her powers to help him unmake creation and reshape everything as Ian saw fit.  Best way to get rid of your perceived tormentors is to erase their very existence.

Ian reminded me a lot of Seth from No-End House.  He started off as a sympathetic character and slowly wormed his way into Jillian's good graces, only to betray her at the very end.  It was easy because Jillian desperately wanted someone to confide in and she didn't trust her husband, Tom, at all.

It was cool that the show runners never explained how Ian and Jillian were able to do what they did (psychic powers?  magic?).  Some details are not that important.

Unlike previous seasons, this one had a bit of a sequel-ish conclusion with Tom and Jillian having a child of their own.... and then a mysterious blue door appeared in the nursery. 

Does Tom and Jillian's infant have the same preternatural ability as her mother and her uncle, or is this just Jillian summoning Pretzel Jack to watch over her child?  

Yet another strong season for Channel Zero.  Syfy took the safeties off this time around and put the show on at a later time than usual. 

That has led to speculation that Nick had possibly tried to shop his show around to one of the streaming services and Syfy made the time slot change so that they could air unedited episodes and keep the show on their channel.

It would work either way for me if the show went to Netflix or stayed on Syfy, but I wouldn't be happy about the prospect of it moving to Amazon Prime or something.  Having more than one streaming service in addition to cable can get pretty expensive and we don't event take advantage of my Netflix subscription like we should.

• Like 1

The cast list for the movie adaptation of Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2020) is filling out nicely. 

Mike Flannigan (Occulus, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Hush, and Gerald's Game) is still set to direct.

Ewan McGregor will take the role of Danny Torrence and Rebecca Ferguson (Mission Impossible: Fallout, The Girl On The Train) will play Rose the Hat.

I also noticed that Carl Lumbly will play Dick Halloran.  It's well known that King doesn't particularly care for Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, so I wonder if King will thumb his nose at the movie by having Halloran be alive and kicking in Doctor Sleep?

Kubrick killed off Dick Halloran in the movie despite the novel's storyline where Halloran merely suffered a skull fracture and had two of his teeth knocked out by Jack Torrence, yet survived the entire ordeal with Danny and his mother.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Season finale of Channel Zero was wrapped up a bit too neatly for my liking and the twist was a bit much, but it was still a strong outing.

Reveal hidden contents

Yet another strong season for Channel Zero.  Syfy took the safeties off this time around and put the show on at a later time than usual. 

That has led to speculation that Nick had possibly tried to shop his show around to one of the streaming services and Syfy made the time slot change so that they could air unedited episodes and keep the show on their channel.

It would work either way for me if the show went to Netflix or stayed on Syfy, but I wouldn't be happy about the prospect of it moving to Amazon Prime or something.  Having more than one streaming service in addition to cable can get pretty expensive and we don't event take advantage of my Netflix subscription like we should.

Is Shudder separate from Syfy, or whoever owns Syfy? Because it already streams on that "uncut"

Shudder and Syfy are two separate entities.

Syfy is a subsidiary of NBC Universal and Shudder's streaming service is owned by AMC Networks, which includes IFC and Sundance Channel.

NBC Universal shares broadcast rights of some Syfy shows with the Showcase Network in Canada.  IIRC, Haven, Continuum, and Lost Girl aired on Showcase first before appearing on Syfy and Showcase gets Channel Zero a week after the season finale airs here in the US.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hide contents

It turns out that Ian, the nosey next door neighbor,, was actually Jillian's half-brother.  It didn't really make sense at first, but the show managed to knit those ends together rather well.

Pretzel Jack wasn't technically the villain of the series.   He only went berserk because Jillian did not know how to control her abilities, while Ian was well studied in his powers and could easily direct his pet monster, Tall Boy. 

We find out that Ian used his powers to kill their father and then slowly manipulated Jillian into creating Pretzel Jack and refining her control over their shared gift of reality bending / matter manipulation.

Ian's ultimate goal appeared to be convincing his half-sister to help him go full Warlock and use her powers to help him unmake creation and reshape everything as Ian saw fit.  Best way to get rid of your perceived tormentors is to erase their very existence.

Ian reminded me a lot of Seth from No-End House.  He started off as a sympathetic character and slowly wormed his way into Jillian's good graces, only to betray her at the very end.  It was easy because Jillian desperately wanted someone to confide in and she didn't trust her husband, Tom, at all.

It was cool that the show runners never explained how Ian and Jillian were able to do what they did (psychic powers?  magic?).  Some details are not that important.

Unlike previous seasons, this one had a bit of a sequel-ish conclusion with Tom and Jillian having a child of their own.... and then a mysterious blue door appeared in the nursery. 

Does Tom and Jillian's infant have the same preternatural ability as her mother and her uncle, or is this just Jillian summoning Pretzel Jack to watch over her child?  

Is it odd that the twist didn't surprise me at all? Something just felt off with that character from the beginning. Even the actual reveal of what they were didn't surprise me. Things did wrap up a bit neatly, but I wasn't too bothered by that. I enjoyed it overall. Kind of hope they keep this format. The time slot along with having the season done in a week was kind of nice.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is it odd that the twist didn't surprise me at all? Something just felt off with that character from the beginning.

Just like something was off with Seth from the beginning in No-End House.  

If there is a criticism I have of Channel Zero, it has been that No-End House and Dream Door have both had similar characters going by different names and the skeleton of the plot in Dream Door was somewhat similar to Candle Cove.

Other than that, the characters were all fleshed out nicely as the stories went along and I am impressed that the show has managed to be scary without resorting to traditional horror tropes or monsters.  There is nothing in horrordom quite like the Tooth Child, the Father, the Peach family, or Pretzel Jack and the Tall Boy.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Forgot, I finally watched the borrowed copy of Ghost Stories that's been sitting over here for about a week. It was great. The second story was a little goofy but that was all forgotten with the third and the super grim reveals of the wraparound. Talk about twist endings...

Thank you for this because I saw the stage play, loved it, and had no idea it was adapted to film.

Some of what made it work will be lost (sounds and actions surrounding you via audience plants and such) but it's still got plenty going for it as a narrative.

Overlord and Girl In The Spider's Web are set to debut next weekend.

Overlord is tracking at 90% Fresh while Spider's Web is currently 68%.

Horror may win the box office this weekend depending on how wide distribution is for the new Lisbeth Salander joint.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:50 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I watched Never Hike Alone on YouTube. A surprisingly good F13 fan film.

More ambience and less violence than a real F13, but some amazing gore effects and a nice surprise near the end.

@piranesi you should really watch this