DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

30 minutes ago, nate said:

I like the title punnage.

The red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing is a fucking awesome callback.

Tree's ringtone must make a triumphant return to the big screen.

• Like 1

Forgot, I finally watched the borrowed copy of Ghost Stories that's been sitting over here for about a week. It was great. The second story was a little goofy but that was all forgotten with the third and the super grim reveals of the wraparound. Talk about twist endings...

EDIT: Just watched most of Pet Sematery 2. Not very good, but damn, that potato truck crash was brutal.

Movie 11 Was my Halloween Havoc pick. It was good.

Movie 12 Tourist Trap

This was great and something more people should hit up if they've avoided it. there's not much of any gore or bewbs, but it's fucking trippy in places. I watched the trailer and thought it would be hokey with a lot of mannequin's are creepy lame-ness. But naw man after awhile it kind of wears on you. It also has one of the absolute truly horrifying death scenes ever. Because of the lack of edgy stuff I thought it was just going to be all atmosphere, but then someone gets their face plastered and it's fucking unsettling.

MOVIE 13 LAKE BODOM

This was inspired by the most famous unsolved murders in Finnish history. Some kids go out in the wood to reenact them. The first half feels uber typical and cliche. And you'll be tempted to tap out at some of the conveniences that happen. Just hang on because half way through it goes fucking sideways and erases all that. Totally worth checking out if you're running out of material this October.

MOVIE 14 ARACHNOPHOBIA

Got my family to sit down and watch this, and they dug it. Julian Sands and John Goodman share the screen briefly and it is fucking GLORIOUS. My wife who hates HATES spiders actually sat through this. She said she had to see them die or she wouldn't be able to deal. It's such a great 50's horror throwback, where science and the wonders of the unknown crash into rural America.

MOVIE 15 HAPPY DEATH DAY

Since it's being brought up I had to post this. Another movie I got my kids to watch. There's little to no gore, but fuck this movie is so charming. It FEELS like it should have been made during the post-Scream boom period. Probably starring Rose MacGowan. Rachel Leigh Cook as the roommate. I wouldn't be surprised if the script by Scott Lobdell had been sitting on his shelf from those peak X-Days.

• Like 1

The thing about the Glass trailer is, if we assume the movie is two hours, how deep into the runtime do you think the trailer goes? Because I reckon it's more than ninety minutes in, that the latest shot from the trailer occurs in the actual movie.

There's a pretty decent youtube channel concept in exploring that. Which trailers give away how much of the film.

IMO they gave away more than enough in the Glass trailer, but I guess if you're combining three films in one you need to be pretty explicit.

Tourist Trap is a stone classic. Arachnophobia is really fun and I don't like spiders either, but I got through it. The war with the King Hell Giant Spider at the end is a blast.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, jaedmc said:

Movie 12 Tourist Trap

This was great and something more people should hit up if they've avoided it. there's not much of any gore or bewbs, but it's fucking trippy in places. I watched the trailer and thought it would be hokey with a lot of mannequin's are creepy lame-ness. But naw man after awhile it kind of wears on you. It also has one of the absolute truly horrifying death scenes ever. Because of the lack of edgy stuff I thought it was just going to be all atmosphere, but then someone gets their face plastered and it's fucking unsettling.

Final Girl's facial expression at the end never fails to freak me out.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, jaedmc said:

MOVIE 15 HAPPY DEATH DAY

Since it's being brought up I had to post this. Another movie I got my kids to watch. There's little to no gore, but fuck this movie is so charming. It FEELS like it should have been made during the post-Scream boom period. Probably starring Rose MacGowan. Rachel Leigh Cook as the roommate. I wouldn't be surprised if the script by Scott Lobdell had been sitting on his shelf from those peak X-Days.

I probably would've run the opposite way and put RLC in the role of Tree and made Rose the roommate, lest Rose be typecast as the Jawbreaker mean girl for the rest of her life.

Spoiler

but that does mean that Rose would be the serial killer, though.

Well, that sucks.

I did not realize that Channel Zero went into sort of a miniseries format, so S4 The Dream Door will be on for six consecutive nights at 11PM EDT.

I missed last night's episode and will probably miss tonight's since I am at work.  I'll binge watch to get caught up sometime tomorrow.

And I can see...erm... ahem... that Syfy chose the late night time slot so that they could go totally TV-MA with the content.  

There is Snowfall S1E1 levels of brief nudity, adult situations, and f-bombs going on here in addition to the expected graphic violence.

Just watched a 4k remaster of Hill have eyes at an art house theatre and really dug it. Always knew of it just never saw and only saw the remake series.

Tomorrow I watch Re-animator at local threatre too but I have seen it hundreds of times already.

Also Southbound is a great great anthology movie.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, BeaverJuk said:

\Also Southbound is a great great anthology movie.

Yeah, I finally watched it all the way through on Night 5.

Last night we watched the Dark Shadows double feature on Comet and it was great.

I am feeling like some giallo tonight and it has been about a year since I watched Don't Torture a Duckling on El Rey, so that may be what's up for Night # 28.

For those of you with MeTV, they have started showing Kolshak:  The Night Stalker from the very beginning on Saturday nights / Sunday mornings at 1AM EDT. 

I am old and need my sleep, so I have elected to DVRed the series rather than stay up that late. 

I have watched The Ripper S1E1 and Zombie S1E2, but I skipped the invisible alien episode. 

The vampire episode that is the indirect sequel to the first movie pilot comes on next week and the badass werewolf on a cruise ship episode should be on in two weeks.

• Like 1

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb is on right now. Given me being sans job and the gifts of AMC Fear Fest, there hasn't been a day I've had without horror this month. 

Later after the next ep of History of Horror I'm gonna see if the DVDR of Nekromantik 2 I borrowed will work on the main room DVD player, which it wouldn't on my laptop. I'm not sure if I want it to.

• Like 1

I just got home from a double feature of Frankenstein (1931) and Rosemary's Baby at a small dine-in theatre that also has live music, plays, stand-up comedy, etc. Between last night's Halloween party and tonight, this was an awesome Halloween weekend.

• Like 3

Which Tom Holland? The Director, the Spider-Kid, or the Historian?

Potentially, Tom Holland could direct Tom Holland in a movie based on a book by Tom Holland, and it's three different guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Which Tom Holland? The Director, the Spider-Kid, or the Historian?

Potentially, Tom Holland could direct Tom Holland in a movie based on a book by Tom Holland, and it's three different guys.

The director. I don’t think I’d have posted it in the horror thread if it were the other two. :)

• Like 1

Just when you thought that Pennywise was the scariest horror clown ever, Pretzel Jack from Channel Zero / Dream Door is making a strong run at his title.

Once I saw Troy James's name in the credits, I knew he was going to play Pretzel Jack.  I'd seen his act on America's Got Talent and I also think he was on Showtime At The Apollo.  

I checked out his iMDB profile.  He's had some bit parts, but this looks like it's his first major role.  Hey, Doug Jones made a career of playing monsters, so why not this guy?

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just when you thought that Pennywise was the scariest horror clown ever, Pretzel Jack from Channel Zero / Dream Door is making a strong run at his title.

Once I saw Troy James's name in the credits, I knew he was going to play Pretzel Jack.  I'd seen his act on America's Got Talent and I also think he was on Showtime At The Apollo.  

I checked out his iMDB profile.  He's had some bit parts, but this looks like it's his first major role.  Hey, Doug Jones made a career of playing monsters, so why not this guy?

My wife and I are trying to slow roll this and not burn through it in one night, but it's so good.

We're half way through and it's been nuts.