DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's complicated. Paramount distributed the first and made 2-8. They then sold future rights to New Line. But retained the rights to the old films. The 2009 film was a Paramount/New Line joint production. I believe Paramount has to be involved to use the Friday the 13th title. It's been Paramount talking about reviving it off and on the last few years.

Now Victor Miller just won exclusive ownership of the copyright to the original screenplay. And Springhill and Vertigo Entertainment have acquired the rights to make this new one. Springhill has a first look deal with Warner Brothers, who own New Line, so....

WHoever owns the rights to the Creighton Duke character holds the key to the kingdom!!!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Must be Green and McBride because they had a black dude in a cowboy hat hunting a killer in the new Halloween haha

They're building an Avengers of weird black cowboy guys to hunt down and fight Meyers, Voorhees, Krueger, etc. and I am rock hard thinking about this.

Some more shit I've watched this month on my way to 31+

Movie 4: Night of the Demons

Linnea stuffing her lipstick into her nipple is an all timer holy shit moment. Like I didn't know what the fuck was going to happen. Also this is a great movie if you want to see the Token Black Guy do all the things a person in the audience would do and SURVIVE. My favorite moment was him and the final girl getting surrounded in the living room, and he's like "I'm not gonna die," and he just somersaults through a window to escape.

Movie 5: Wait Until Dark

Technically not a horror film but it has great tension and my 10 year old had never seen it. He fucking loved it. If you don't know, it's basically a 3 on 1 handicap match with a blind Audrey Hepburn  being the one. Hulk Hogan wishes he was booked like this. Two great performances, one from Audrey and the other from the lead bad guy Alan Arkin, and a GREAT jump scare that will succeed with any group you watch it with. 

Movie 6: Popcorn

I recently got the restored blu-ray of this because I watched it so much as a kid and I'm on a nostalgia bluray buying binge. I figured this one would not hold up, but it's still incredibly fun. My wife and I particularly enjoyed the White Knight Boyfriend getting the shit beat out of him for msot of the fool and bumbling into the climax.  The premise is a solid one, with a group of film students raising money by running an old school horror film marathon complete with William Castle style gimmicks. But on the night of the marathon people start getting killed. Bigest complaint is probably Kelly Jo Minter being criminally underused. You may remember her as Fool's older sister from People Under the Stairs or as Yvonne in Elm Street Part 5. She's perfect for horror films.

Movie 7: Chernobyl Diaries

This is one of those Americans in foreign places get fucked up movies. I didn't like it. I didn't care for or like any of the charcters and I just wanted their misery to end quickly. 

Movie 8: House II The Second Story

Another child hood favorite, I figured maybe this is how I can get my son into horror films. I've got to ease him in with the goofy ones. This movie is so batshit crazy, and features a GREAT John Ratzenberger appearance. No one in my house was prepared for the madness, and everyone loved it. Definitely one I'd recommend with groups if you just want to get drunk and goof on some old movies.

Movie 9: Movie Truth Or Dare

This was on Netflix. I thought it was going to be the recent one but it's the one that came out on Syfy a year prior I think. It was awful. Heather Langencamp cameo got me excited for a minute, and then it was over and back to the suck.

Movie 10: The Prowler

Tom Savini special effects make up for a laughably bad plotting of events. It's a LOT of wandering around in dark places past the point of tension and into the realm of what the fuck is even happening. It also helps that I watched this with Joe Bob Briggs popping in and cracking jokes.

Joe Bob Briggs makes everything so much better.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, if Prometheus is right and the Engineers created the Xenomorphs to clear planets of all organic life so that the Engineers could come behind and terraform / populate those worlds. then they kinda are more important than the Xenomorphs.

Covenant kinda subverted that theory kinda sorta on who created the ACTUAL Xenomorphs andthe Engineers just created the means.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Grudge remake has been moved up two months

I will probably still hate it like I hated the first remake.

The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is all that and a bag of chips.  I binge watched a couple of episodes after Rippa and I tapped out for the night on Destiny 2.  Last night's 31 Days requirement has been fulfilled.

17 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Movie 4: Night of the Demons

Linnea stuffing her lipstick into her nipple is an all timer holy shit moment. Like I didn't know what the fuck was going to happen. Also this is a great movie if you want to see the Token Black Guy do all the things a person in the audience would do and SURVIVE. My favorite moment was him and the final girl getting surrounded in the living room, and he's like "I'm not gonna die," and he just somersaults through a window to escape.

He is my favorite black dude horror movie survivor. 

Taye Diggs in the House On Haunted Hill remix is a very close second.  Not only did Taye make it out of the house alive, he and Ali Larter got to deposit all of those cashier checks for a cool mil apiece made out to "bearer."

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, piranesi said:

They need to make this as simple as possible.  Someone early on can theorize that Jason was really a manifestation of his mother's death rage, like a grudge ghost, and that's why so many terrible things have continued to happen around Crystal Lake even though he couldn't possibly still be alive. Don't mention any of it specifically so you don't have to do backflips to explain everything that came before.

And then sprinkle in some sexy teens and a stoner or two and VIOLA!!!!

Stick to practical effects. use the original music. Stick to classic Part IV Jason look. Budget that shit for $10 million and bathe in profits.

Victor Crowley?

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

He is my favorite black dude horror movie survivor. 

I mean he was on it from the word go. As soon as things got hinky he was like "Nah, I'm out." and he just left. And when he and the one girl couldn't find the exit he was like "Well, I know one thing I'm not going in that house, I'm sleeping in the car." Fucking genius.

Spider(granted he's Dominican mixed) from Return of the Living Dead was in the running as my favorite until they all got nuked. When shit got REAL, and people started to split up into their factions Spider was with the old guys trying to sort shit out, not with his dumb buddies. And he didn't take shit off of anyone. Also, sidebar,  how fucking cool is it for Miguel Nunez Jr. to go from Friday the 13th playing a dude named DEMON to being in a zombie movie playing a guy named SPIDER? Then years later he gets to be a guy named MO' BITCHES in Black Dynamite. Love that dude.

It's hard to argue against Taye Diggs though and back in '99 he was killing it in everything.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2018 at 4:58 PM, piranesi said:

They're building an Avengers of weird black cowboy guys to hunt down and fight Meyers, Voorhees, Krueger, etc. and I am rock hard thinking about this.

There was a BGICH (Black Guy In a Cowboy Hat) in "Demon Knight", but he ended up being a villain.

I can't remember if the guy in Jeepers Creepers 3 wore a cowboy hat or not.

56 minutes ago, nate said:

There was a BGICH (Black Guy In a Cowboy Hat) in "Demon Knight", but he ended up being a villain.

I can't remember if the guy in Jeepers Creepers 3 wore a cowboy hat or not.

I'm going to ignore Jeepers Creepers. Anyway, there's Skull Cowboy from The Crow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Billy Zane actually black? I've honestly never known.

He's Greek. Spartan, as it happens. That's why he's always in shape despite never actually working out at all.