DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

In *shocking* news, now that the lawsuit is settled and Halloween made all kinds of money, Paramount is dusting off those Friday the 13th reboot plans.

More interestingly, LeBron James and his Springhill Entertainment production company are involved.

It probably would have sucked but I was totally into the found footage idea they were tossing around for the reboot a while back. I mean I don't even like that sub-genre that much, but it was something different instead of the same ol' same ol. 

Maybe it could start out that way and the very first kill is Jason shoving the teen's iphone down his fucking throat. Then it transitions to just a normal movie. 

• Like 2

I just can't wrap my head around a found footage slasher, unless the slasher himself is the one with the camera. Too much of the genre relies on the core cast being completely unaware until it's too late.

You couldn't do it the whole movie, just for the opening.  Like, Counsulars decide to make a video on their phones getting it on while little Jason drowns, and ends with them keeping the video running as they realize the kid just dies for that backstory.  Or yeah, using "found footage" style for any of the kills would work.  But yeah, can't do a found footage slasher flick.  Hell, I'd argue that a found footage movie period doesn't work, as I haven't liked a one I've seen so far.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I just can't wrap my head around a found footage slasher, unless the slasher himself is the one with the camera. Too much of the genre relies on the core cast being completely unaware until it's too late.

Close in a way? The killer with a camera, POV kills. 

(Almost made this my HH pick)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You couldn't do it the whole movie, just for the opening.  Like, Counsulars decide to make a video on their phones getting it on while little Jason drowns, and ends with them keeping the video running as they realize the kid just dies for that backstory.  Or yeah, using "found footage" style for any of the kills would work.  But yeah, can't do a found footage slasher flick.  Hell, I'd argue that a found footage movie period doesn't work, as I haven't liked a one I've seen so far.

I've liked a few. It basically comes down to mitigating how much I yell for the camera person to put the goddamn camera down and run. Some have handled this better than others which means I only yell it like once.

I think Mr. Jones was the last one I saw that was okay, because it just goes over the deep end and says fuck it this is going to get WEIRD.

They need to make this as simple as possible.  Someone early on can theorize that Jason was really a manifestation of his mother's death rage, like a grudge ghost, and that's why so many terrible things have continued to happen around Crystal Lake even though he couldn't possibly still be alive. Don't mention any of it specifically so you don't have to do backflips to explain everything that came before.

And then sprinkle in some sexy teens and a stoner or two and VIOLA!!!!

Stick to practical effects. use the original music. Stick to classic Part IV Jason look. Budget that shit for $10 million and bathe in profits.

I finally watched the Friday "remake" the other day pretty much all the way through and it wasn't bad. Kills were fine, kids were fine, Jason was beastly. Sucks that they didn't put his head in the grinder at the end though. Just had to have him come out the lake...

In another coincidence, after seeing Halloween my buddy showed me the Friday game, which was neat. In that respect maybe spending more time with Jason and less with the campers could be an interesting viewpoint to do a reboot.

Another thing I thought of is Jason being a cannibal who eats his victims but clearly that's another franchise's territory

I do wonder if we get a new rash of slasher decades later sequels the way the TCM remake got us all the other remakes.

If Terminator with Linda Hamilton makes bank, I'll expect Fox/Disney to offer Sigourney Weaver some money to save Alien. Maybe New Line/WB try to get Heather Langenkamp and Robert Englund together again?

There is currently both a remake and another sequel for Child's Play in development.

12 hours ago, piranesi said:

They need to make this as simple as possible.  Someone early on can theorize that Jason was really a manifestation of his mother's death rage, like a grudge ghost, and that's why so many terrible things have continued to happen around Crystal Lake even though he couldn't possibly still be alive. Don't mention any of it specifically so you don't have to do backflips to explain everything that came before.

And then sprinkle in some sexy teens and a stoner or two and VIOLA!!!!

Stick to practical effects. use the original music. Stick to classic Part IV Jason look. Budget that shit for $10 million and bathe in profits.

Honestly, we're running out of time that a full on remake of the Original with the same plotline and no Jason until the end is concievable tech wise, so this wouldn't be a bad way to go.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I do wonder if we get a new rash of slasher decades later sequels the way the TCM remake got us all the other remakes.

If Terminator with Linda Hamilton makes bank, I'll expect Fox/Disney to offer Sigourney Weaver some money to save Alien.

Erase everything after ALIENS would actually be kind of cool. Present day Sigourney and adult Newt living a "normal" life in that world and then fighting aliens would be a great 80s action throwback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Erase everything after ALIENS would actually be kind of cool. Present day Sigourney and adult Newt living a "normal" life in that world and then fighting aliens would be a great 80s action throwback.

Yes please, this.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sorry but Ridley Scott is still busy dicking around with his concept of the Engineers and is apparently making them more important than the Xenomorphs in the next one.

Well, if Prometheus is right and the Engineers created the Xenomorphs to clear planets of all organic life so that the Engineers could come behind and terraform / populate those worlds. then they kinda are more important than the Xenomorphs.

But I hear ya.  I know it is his right to do tell whatever kind of story he wants to with his own material, but I'm kinda tired of him trying to drag a hard speculative fiction franchise out of a perfectly fine horror franchise that just happened to have a spaceship as a set piece.

Since The Haunting of Hill House 

is vying for Veronica's title of SCAREIST CONTENT ON NETFLIX~!, I will have to check it out.

I still have Clinical and Malevolent in my To Watch queue, so I need to get moving.

18 hours ago, Raziel said:

While uneven, I enjoyed V/H/S 1 & 2.  The third one was mostly shit, though.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Well, if Prometheus is right and the Engineers created the Xenomorphs to clear planets of all organic life so that the Engineers could come behind and terraform / populate those worlds. then they kinda are more important than the Xenomorphs.

Sure, but i needed to know the origin of the xenomorphs as much as I needed the know the origin of Darth Vader or the Joker. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I thought Friday the 13th was a New Line property?  I guess not. Speaking of classic remakes,  I used to like the TCM remake with Jessica Biel but I wonder if it holds up, I haven't seen it in a while.  

It's complicated. Paramount distributed the first and made 2-8. They then sold future rights to New Line. But retained the rights to the old films. The 2009 film was a Paramount/New Line joint production. I believe Paramount has to be involved to use the Friday the 13th title. It's been Paramount talking about reviving it off and on the last few years.

Now Victor Miller just won exclusive ownership of the copyright to the original screenplay. And Springhill and Vertigo Entertainment have acquired the rights to make this new one. Springhill has a first look deal with Warner Brothers, who own New Line, so....

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Sure, but i needed to know the origin of the xenomorphs as much as I needed the know the origin of Darth Vader or the Joker. 

Well, that was the basis of my "Aliens is actually a horror movie" caveat.

The terror of what the Engineers REALLY represent is sanitized by Prometheus's regrettably serious attempt to be a sci-fi movie rather than a horror film.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Me too

I don't mind what Scott's doing really, long as it turns out better than Covenant.

*looks up and sees a nude Mathilda May on the TV* Ahem, they should remake Lifeforce

There will never be another Space Girl.

• Like 1