DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I'm going to see the new Halloween joint (80% FRESH~!) this coming weekend with my 15 year old daughter.  There are arguments that this act makes me either the best or worst father in the world.

Overlord is 93% Fresh on RT right now.  I am starting to get excited.

Most horror mavens whose reviews I trust have shat upon the Susperia reboot from a great height, but it is still managing to trend in the mid 70 Fresh percentile on RT.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Escape Room

I hope this will be decent, but I think it will annoy me that this feels like a lost installment of the Cube franchise.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Booo... I was hoping that was gonna be a documentary on the English electronica group

Me too.

Kevin Flint's stage pesona is scary enough to be the baba yaga in a horror franchise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I hope this will be decent, but I think it will annoy me that this feels like a lost installment of the Cube franchise.

I like the Cube vibe far better than the inevitable Saw comparisons this will get.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nate said:

I like the Cube vibe far better than the inevitable Saw comparisons this will get.

But you bring up an interesting point. 

It is kinda cool to take note that there is a whole sub-genre of horror movies (The Cube franchise, the Saw franchise, Exam (2009), The Belko Experiment (2016), Would You Rather..., etc.) with h consequencionalist moral dilemma like the Trolley Problem or the Flooding Room Scenario the as their plot devices.  

• Like 1

I really liked Halloween too.  It wasn't a 10/10 but we had lots of fun with it.  I was all in from the opening credits shot like they were 1978;  I liked all the little nods to previous flicks and they didn't try to reinvent the wheel.  What they gave us was a great 1980s slasher flick with a modern setting.   The acting was pretty good,  JLC was awesome.  I didn't like the kids too much but it didn't hurt the film.  I definitely recommend it.  

Oh and it was scary at times most definitely.  I loved the part with 

the Dad and his son when they spot the overturned bus.

The tension was real.   Also,  we must assume that 

the mad doctor is responsible for freeing Michael right? That's what I felt

I am elated and bummed.

The debut of Channel Zero: The Dream Door starts Friday at 11PM EDT!

I am thrilled that the new season is starting, but it's on Friday where the schedule is already stacked..

I liked It better when it came on Wednesday nights.  It game me something to look forward to other than the Must See Friday night line-ups.

I'm jazzed about it coming on late, so the content should be pretty hardcore and fairly censor free.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

But you bring up an interesting point. 

It is kinda cool to take note that there is a whole sub-genre of horror movies (The Cube franchise, the Saw franchise, Exam (2009), The Belko Experiment (2016), Would You Rather..., etc.) with consequencionalist moral dilemma like the Trolley Problem or the Flooding Room Scenario the as their plot devices.  

Somewhere in there has to be a reference to "Seven", which itself can be traced as far back as the Phibes films.

(I can see the connection, I just can't articulate it at the moment.)

Halloween was a perfectly fine Halloween sequel. Piranesi nailed all the stuff me and my friend talked about after watching (him for the second time).

Spoiler

The first viewing was opening night. He said a lady behind him just about lost it when they teased Michael killing the baby. Personally I would have loved to see him toss it against the wall but I'm a sick fuck. At least he killed the kid in a shot done in homage to the car strangulation from the first film.

One thing I had to point out to my buddy, why were there three stalls? It's a women's restroom in a frickin mechanic shop. That made no sense. Also, was it just me or did

Spoiler

they screw up the editing because I swear they showed the doc's face again after the stomp crushed him.  Which was bad as fuck BTW, a top ten kill for the series. The second gnarliest bit was definitely the broken neck of one of the bus patients, ugh.

My only real complaint is the house of traps was silly. Then again in a series that introduced a pagan death cult, biting off a kung fu classic isn't too ridiculous.

Escape Room had me exclaim "I remember when they made that the first time and called it Cube" out loud after the trailer finished in the theater.

Oh, and speaking of trailers, if Bohemian Rhapsody ends up sucking, I'm gonna be pissed

There were two escape room themed horror movies that came out last year (both of which were called, creatively enough, "Escape Room"). I guess this one is the slightly bigger budget and more popular one that gets an actual theatrical release.

I thought The Apostle was going to be another Wicker Man ripoff, and while it takes a lot of the plot elements it had enough of its own stuff going on to put an original spin on the general premise. It's not a perfect movie and a bit longer than it needed to be but I thought it was an entertaining watch.

Halloween was pretty good. I thought it got a bit too in-jokey at times, but the kills were brutal. It was basically H20 2 but with way better teen drama, way better kills, and no where near as good of a final woman sequence.

• Like 1

I really liked the new Halloween but it did have some issues. It couldn't seem to decide whether it wanted to be gritty and brutal or slasher ridiculous at times and while it sets the stakes early there's a real mid-film lull. Still, the whole theatre was invested in the Strode women and there was real tension at times and some of the best shots I've seen in a horror flick in a while.

Spoiler

I will say that given the thematic build, I was a little disappointed they didn't pull a You're Next and have Laurie just eat him alive once he got into the house but I get it.

27 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I really liked the new Halloween but it did have some issues. It couldn't seem to decide whether it wanted to be gritty and brutal or slasher ridiculous at times and while it sets the stakes early there's a real mid-film lull. Still, the whole theatre was invested in the Strode women and there was real tension at times and some of the best shots I've seen in a horror flick in a while.

It had to have been a difficult thing to write in that it had so much it had to do.

1) A first act with huge amounts of backstory for both protagonist and antagonist, an escape for the antagonist and him regaining his "tools", backstory for the protagonists family as the new generation, and rebuilding the antagonist as a bona fide terror for a generation of audience who might only know the name and mask from dancing memes, all of which even at its most streamlined was going to take up a good 30-40 minutes.

2) then it had to contain within it enough of an entire slasher movie and at least one sequence of an actual babysitter with a boogeyman hiding in the house because without that then why even bother right? That forces them to at least gesture toward introducing a whole world of teens and teen archetypes and showing them go through the motions of being set up and stalked but in a kind of abridged form (hence the characters who seem ripe for killing who just sort of disappear).

3) then it had to pivot into an action thriller with three important characters needing to have a chance to show growth and strength and stage a cat-&-mouse game to parallel the first movie

Plus they added in the idea that they wanted to make little nods to the whole franchise which forced a few weird plot detours that took up a good chunk of that time, including the Sheriff and new Loomis.

Hopefully in future films they can streamline this all a bit and have a bit more freedom to explore the genre.

• Like 1

In *shocking* news, now that the lawsuit is settled and Halloween made all kinds of money, Paramount is dusting off those Friday the 13th reboot plans.

More interestingly, LeBron James and his Springhill Entertainment production company are involved.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

In *shocking* news, now that the lawsuit is settled and Halloween made all kinds of money, Paramount is dusting off those Friday the 13th reboot plans.

More interestingly, LeBron James and his Springhill Entertainment production company are involved.

God let's hope they learn the basic lesson here and don't go for another "gritty reboot" and just give us traditional zombie Jason back from the 80s to kill campers.

Hell, they could just cobble together locations, characters, and even the basic premise of the video game and people would mark out as much for that. There's a lot of kids who now "know" the lore based on that game.

• Like 1

It's too bad nobody with name value that was in the early movies still has a living character to bring back like Jamie Lee Curtis. I mean, you and I would mark out for Ginny, but I don't think Amy Steel sells many tickets.

Then again, I liked the 2009 movie more then just about all the zombie Jason movies except JvF.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 11:11 AM, J.T. said:

The makeup in that thumbnail got be excited for a minute that Tobias Forge got funding on the DL to make a feature length movie on the Ghost Lore and the rise of Papa Emeratus, then I watched the trailer.

• Like 1