DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

The question with Hellraiser is this: See the 'real world' sections of the movie? Are they set in London or New York? Because they appear to be set in some sort of transatlantic super-city.

16 hours ago, piranesi said:

I love the sexual politics of Hellraiser.  The idea that the lead lady is instantly hypnotized and enslaved by the first dude who could really lay proper pipe to the point that she is murdering fools.  I really think Clive Barker thinks that's how ladies' insides work.

Julia and Frank had history from before she was married to Larry and before Frank discovered the puzzle box.

Larry is portrayed as a milquetoast daddy, whereas Frank is the player.

Which would you rather bang?

4 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Julia and Frank had history from before she was married to Larry and before Frank discovered the puzzle box.

Larry is portrayed as a milquetoast daddy, whereas Frank is the player.

Which would you rather bang?

Oh I would fuck the living shit out of Frank once.  But I would make sweet and charming love to Larry forever and afterward he would make me tea and we would listen to Lou Rawls together and if Frank showed up I would turn him over to the Cenobytes so fast if he threatened my perfect life with Lar.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Art's All-Nite Horror Movie Marathon was a blast. This year had a bunch of really obscure selections. Patrick was the first on the table and was a strange Australian version of Carrie with a paralytic (actually technically dead/a vegetable) teenager using telekinesis to affect the life of the nurse he has a hopeless crush on. After that came Abel Ferrara's trash classic The Driller Killer which was hilarious. The theater bought everyone free pizza for intermission, just in time for fucking Nekromantik, which also came with a long intro from the guy that booked the show warning/advising everyone about the movie. Unfortunately nobody puked or ran out, but nobody laughed either. After that came Psychos In Love which my buddy accurately described as a long Curb episode, only about a pair of serial killers. The last film was some POS called The Undertaker (unfortunately not ...and His Pals) that we skipped on. Many drinks were quaffed and laughs were had by all.

• Like 2

Night 12:  Watched two DVR episodes of Kolchak:  The Night Stalker (The Ripper, The Trevi Collection).

Night 13:  Watched the Syfy debut of Karma with the family.  It was pretty cool to see black people comprise most of the main characters.  I did not realize that Mario Van Peebles's son was the lead actor until the final credits rolled.

Night 14:  Finally sat down and watched The Broken all the way through. It was on Cinemax On Demand. I have now seen every movie shown at the Horrorfest 2009 film festival.

• Like 1

Hannibal Rising was just on IFC so I watched as a check off the list. Long in the tooth and not great. The story is set in Lithuania during WWII. Lector's parents are killed and their castle is invaded by deserters who kill and eat his sister. He grows up in France with his drastically hot Japanese aunt who shows him the way of the samurai and he goes after the deserters. The kills are pretty plain, Dominick West shows up ad an ineffectual cop with yet another bad accent, nothing much of note happens. At least Gong Li is nice to look at. I would just as soon watch Hannibal again instead.

Now Diary of the Dead is on and I am NOT going down THAT road. Even I have my limits...

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Art's All-Nite Horror Movie Marathon was a blast. This year had a bunch of really obscure selections. Patrick was the first on the table and was a strange Australian version of Carrie with a paralytic (actually technically dead/a vegetable) teenager using telekinesis to affect the life of the nurse he has a hopeless crush on. After that came Abel Ferrara's trash classic The Driller Killer which was hilarious. The theater bought everyone free pizza for intermission, just in time for fucking Nekromantik, which also came with a long intro from the guy that booked the show warning/advising everyone about the movie. Unfortunately nobody puked or ran out, but nobody laughed either. After that came Psychos In Love which my buddy accurately described as a long Curb episode, only about a pair of serial killers. The last film was some POS called The Undertaker (unfortunately not ...and His Pals) that we skipped on. Many drinks were quaffed and laughs were had by all.

The free pizza before Nekromantik was grade A audience trolling.

Re: The Undertaker, I dunno because I still haven't looked it up yet. They were gonna play something called Heavy Metal Massacre bit the distributors allowed them this one to be played instead. The last slot is always a death slot which is why we booked it.

And yeah, good job with the pizza. I passed myself as I was too busy with the whisky. I guess because the crowd was light they only sprung for two boxes of Jet's; kinda lame considering they were charging $20 a pop for tickets and drinks were astronomic. They deserve the money though. They also had sweet glossy Shocktoberfest posters for free that had Howling art and the month's lineup on them and that went right on the wall.

• Like 1

Zombie day on AMC Fear Fest. Return of the Living Dead NP. BTW Eli Roth's History of Horror was great and replays tonight; the first ep is on (duh) zombies.

EDIT: I just for the first time ever noticed the eye chart on the wall of Uneeda Medical Supply that reads "Burt is a slave driver" hahaha

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently a Wrong Turn remake is in the works

Why not just make a 7th sequel and cash in?  Is this a franchise that really needs a reboot?

No matter how bad a sequel may be, Wrong Turn has a cult audience that will watch it regardless.  Just about every horror franchise out there has a diehard following.

Hey, Reply # 666!

I watch horror movies, too!  Well, rewatch them, in this case.  Decided to rewatch Blade and Blade II over the last couple of days. Wow, these are both just stinky-bad.  I think Blade II gets a bit of a pass because of it being the rare sequel that's better than the original, but that doesn't really make it a good movie.  It has the skeletal outline of a plot and character development, some good visuals, one good fight scene and one OUTSTANDING fight scene (for the first 80% of it), but otherwise...woof, it's still a dog of a movie. 

I think I've seen all of del Toro's movies now, except for Crimson Peak, and the weird thing about Blade II is it doesn't feel like one of his movies at all.  It actually feels more like it belongs to Jean-Pierre Jeunet; if you sit this one down next to the way that Delicatessen or City of Lost Children looks - or, Hell, Alien: Resurrection - I think there are going to be some similarities.  Then again, it could just be they've always shared a lot of visual style, aside from their deep and abiding love for Ron Perlman, and this was the first time it popped off the screen at me.  

And then I watched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.  Wow.  Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow.  Michael Rooker has probably always been top 3 for actors who scare me the most - even his otherwise-laughable character in Days of Thunder is probably not someone you'd leave a small child with - but it was amazing to see how all that started.  I don't think I've ever seen any other form of visual media that is this raw, anywhere. Makes you wonder if it's because it's seriously that hard to pull off well, or if the fuss about this back in the 80s has just pushed people away from trying to recapture lightning in a bottle for decades.  Probably a lot from both columns.

And no, I couldn't resist saying "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" during the brief dance scene with the camcorder.

Interestingly, I finished this some time after midnight last night, and then slept like a fucking baby afterwards.  Go figure.

• Like 4

Woke up at 4 this  morning to see The Borrower on B-Movie TV. It was actually Henry director John McNaughton's follow-up to Henry. It's kind of like a much sleazier Hidden. I remember always seeing the box art and wondering what kind of freaking looking booger that was on the cover when it was just clean shaven Tom Towles this whole time. Rae Dawn Chong stars as one of the cops that are the main characters besides some rapist they're after and the alien Borrower who borrows motherfucker's heads. The really sawed off guy who played Henry in the inferior sequel (not directed by McNaughton) is the rapist but he's probably best known by Eddie as Brody The Bootlegger. Madchen Amick even makes a brief appearance as the director of some idiot rock band's video. 

• Like 2

Anyone see HALLOWEEN?

Wife and I went to the 9:30 showing in out little town.  Theater wasn't full but audience enjoyed it.  Mostly teenagers who just wanted to scream at "Mike Meyers".

I really enjoyed it. I'm a pretty jaded viewer and I wasn't on the edge of my seat or anything because the trailer spoils so much. But it was a solid straight-up slasher for most of the runtime, the likes of which we just don't see anymore.  It really is a throwback and didn't try to modernize the formula beyond a few cultural touches here and there. Spoilers below:

Spoiler

But it was exactly the best of what I liked from Halloween 2 (Michael just killing the shit out of lots of people in Haddonfield) and the best aspects of H2O (Laurie being badass and a really really great showdown sequence between them).

The fanservice was all over the place and was

Spoiler

from the subtle (recalling specific lines) to the nicely done restaging of entire sequences (the goofy cops from Halloween 5, the garage from Halloween 4), even from Part 6 (the rogue Dr. going mad and trying to "use" Michael as a tool...which I was worried for a moment was going to be a major plot twist to the whole movie but ended up being a little nod maybe to the bizarreness of the Thorn storyline and then abandoned in favor of common sense), to little echoes of the past that are twisted up (Laurie stalking Michael into the closet, Laurie falling off the balcony and disapearing)

The now almost essential single take shot was pretty virtuosic

Spoiler

and was a re-do of the one at the beginning of HALLOWEEN 2. Complete with Mrs. Elrod and her sandwich. But was way more virtuosic and included two deaths in two different houses and a fantastic shot of Michael stalking someone with his reflection in the window of her house. It wasn't True Detective Season 1 level, but it was way more than I expected them to do or than they had to do just for a tribute shot.

Maybe the best (and totally unneccesary but funny) one is

Spoiler

The return of Lonnie Elam as the father of one of the main teens.  Overall the teens in the 'teens go to a party and get killed" are perfectly serviceable and appropriatley annoying for a slasher. They aren't as annoying as Post-Scream slasher kids but are every bit as "of the moment" as the kids in every other Halloween. I'm just now realizing that Lonnie's son who turns out to be a huge asshole doesn't actually get killed and mostly the "teens in peril" section is their for slasher flavoring...most of them just go home.

But the most effective and genuinely haunting moment was

Spoiler

The ending. With Michael just standing on the steps, trapped, and staring at Laurie while he burns to death (sort of probably but probably not depending on the box office). It was the best image of the "psychology" of Michael that we've probably had in the whole series, in part because it defies explanation. There really is nothing there but his desire to kill and, once he finds her, to kill Laurie and that's all he has left to do at that point. He knows he's going to burn..so he just watches her for as long as he can.

Oh and they gave Nick Castle a lot to do. He basically got to play The Shape

Spoiler

the whole time in the movie before he gets the mask and overalls back. We get to see glimpses of his face, enough to see that his eye is still messed up and to see that he's the appropriate age. Gray hair, lots of moles and wrinkles on his neck. But Nick Castle is in good shape so he was also believable as someone who could still grab you by the throat.

• Like 1

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/658904546/this-halloween-jamie-lee-curtis-reckons-with-40-years-of-trauma

This was an interview I heard on NPR's All Things Considered, Audie Cornish interviewing Jamie Lee Curtis for "Halloween". I don't know what it is about it, and I'm not usually given over to hyperbole (except the fun, ironic kind), but I *love* this interview. Shared it on Facebook, texted it to friends.  Check it out, and if you think I'm off my stump, that's okay, but I think it's just really good.

I saw Halloween Thursday night. Including me, there were probably about 20 people in the theatre. This is a rare case where I liked the previous films being mostly ignored, outside of a few nods. Eventhough I've seen the sequels, this felt like a logical next step if nothing happened for forty years between the original and now.