DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, did you find those on Youtube? I need to see all three of those again, Death Spa for the first time actually. .

I have them all on dilapidated VHS, but I know that Evilspeak is definitely on YouTube.

Seeing your list reminds me of how much I love the remake of The Blob so I am checking that out tonight.

I also need to knock out my viewing and review for the new Halloween Havoc.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, Curt McGirt said:

In searching for an Ebert review of Pet Sematery I found this hilarious review of The Beyond. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-beyond-1998

Bwahahahahahahaha

Grindhouse actually used a quote from that review and put it on one of the DVD boxes.  "The Beyond" does not disappoint." I believe that's the one. It was in reference to the gore. Anybody looking for a plot is trying way too hard. The key to enjoying The Beyond is that whatever the fuck you think is going on, there's actually much less than that happening. Once the dickhead plumber unearths Schweick, every idiot that comes into contact with his corpse or the hotel is cursed and banished to some netherworld.  

You can also tell Ebert didn't dig too deep into Eurotrash cinema. Italian Herschell Gordon Lewis my ass. That dismissive label should go to somebody like Mattei or Lenzi. I mean yeah, on the base level both have been referred to as the Godfather of Gore. That's about it though. Regardless all their movies were better or at least more fun than Lewis and his buckets of red paint blood. Fulci was never Argento but Lewis's movies were as devoid of art or interesting visuals as the drabbest looking cheap theatre trash around at the time. I will say that the scene from The Gore Gore Girls where a stripper has her bare ass literally beaten into ground meat by a meat tenderizer hammer is oddly disturbing. 

I finally watched Evil Speak after avoiding it for years because of dreading a certain scene. Really I don't think the asshole bullies got nearly what they deserved. The neighbor guy from 70's Show as a skinny young punk and leader of the gang was incredibly despicable. 

Spoiler

Burned alive or eaten by hogs is no picnic but they should've been tortured before meeting their grisly demises.

Yeah, Evilspeak is on there, as is The Stuff with Spanish subtitles. Strangely you have to pay for Death Spa, and since I was reminded of indie legend Truth Or Dare: A Critical Madness I went looking for that on there and of all things THAT is a pay title. You can still watch it for free too though. 

And of course the movie I got for Havoc I don't have and is only on Youtube in cropped closeup. *sigh* I'm pretty sure my bass player has it on DVD though

• Like 1

At one time, Truth or Dare was actually on Netflix's streaming service. This was about nine or ten years ago back when their brand was still associated with physical media and their online content was considered an added bonus. It was silly as all hell but I don't remember much more than the killer wearing some cheap looking knockoff of the Quiet Riot Metal Health mask. I guess that was kind of the point since the movie was called A Critical Madness. 

I've still never seen it and have no idea why not. I've known about it since reading an interview with the director in Fangoria as a kid and it was at one of the local video stores back then (the one that actually had its own horror section partitioned off in the back with posters on the walls). Plus it's the topic of one of the greatest Autopsy songs, "Critical Madness"...

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, did you find those on Youtube? I need to see all three of those again, Death Spa for the first time actually. 

Just to brag, here's what's playing this month at the Art: 

Mandy (missed it)

Shocktober Film Festival (all shorts so right up J.T.'s alley, just missed it tonight)

Rocky Horror (planning to go for my first time ever)

Ganja and Hess

All-Nite Horror Marathon VI (Patrick, The Driller Killer, NEKROMANTIK~!, Psychos In Love, Heavy Metal Massacre. I WILL stay all night this time)

Prom Night

Phantasm

Bones (!!!)

The Blob ('88) 

The Howling

Halloween ('78)

Hopefully I can get to Phantasm, Blob, and Howling along with Rocky and the marathon, though it's doubtful. I'm pretty sure I've already seen Phantasm on the big screen and Halloween will unfortunately probably have to be missed due to a gig with my annual Misfits cover band Teenage Martians.

That is an excellent line-up.  I am totally jealous.

• Like 1

Phantom '62 was pretty dull. One guy did get stabbed in the eye which is pretty wild for early Hammer, but he's one of only three people who die in the whole film. We also don't get to see Herbert Lom's face until the very end and the makeup is pretty weak sauce (it looks like someone left a red handprint on his face and that's about it), especially in comparison to the work on his hands and the one-eyed mask he wears, which is actually pretty effective. The worst thing is they turn him into just a beleaguered hero instead of a half-mad villain which really takes the juice out of the presentation.

The American Horrors Roku streaming channel has been showing some really awful looking probably TV movie Son of the Blob starring Dick Van Patten as a scout leader. It was so corny I was sure it was actually an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes movie. Apparently it's more widely known as Beware! The Blob. 

So Deadly Friend ended on TCM last night and the guide said Swamp Thing was coming on, right? I flipped around a bit (still watching New Japan) and came back and started watching. I missed the opening title so I was under the assumption I was still watching Swamp Thing, which I've only seen pieces of before. I wasn't. I was watching Demon Seed. 

That movie is fuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuuup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, Curt McGirt said:

So Deadly Friend ended on TCM last night and the guide said Swamp Thing was coming on, right? I flipped around a bit (still watching New Japan) and came back and started watching. I missed the opening title so I was under the assumption I was still watching Swamp Thing, which I've only seen pieces of before. I wasn't. I was watching Demon Seed. 

That movie is fuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuuup.

Demon Seed is fucking awesome.  I think I discusses it a bit earlier in the thread when the subject of crazy computers came up.

If you watched the UFC fiasco over the weekend, you got to see the teaser trailer for Wolfenstein........ er.... ..Overlord, in addition to the completely comic ending to the main event.

I want to like this reboot, but it is hard.  The original movie was perfectly fine; it just came from one of Stephen's books that felt like he wrote it to meet a contract obligation..... which he absolutely did....

Thanks to the hard deadlines, Pet Sematary reads like a rushed novel (Louis Creed may be the dumbest King protagonist of any novel.  He falls for all of the horror tropes and never learns the lesson of past mistakes), but it has one of King's better long prose endings. 

Go figure that firm final draft dates would be the mechanic needed to force King to wrap up his thoughts and come up with a satisfying last chapter.  Give him too much "artistic license" and a generous production cycle and he reels off thousands of pages of greatness capped by a shitty conclusion because he's under little to no pressure to finish strong.

I think that the Pet Sematary films will make for fine companion pieces to the recent movie, Hereditary, since they all dwell on how destructive unprocessed grief can be and how dangerous it can be to leave your dead unburied, so to speak.

Nothing in that reboot will be as awesome as the Ramones track in the final credits of the original movie.

Dee Dee wrote that song in an hour sitting in the basement of Stephen King's' house.

• Like 2