DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I actually saw Grindhouse in the theater with my brother while he was in rehab and got weekend visitation outside of the facility. Thanksgiving is the one I'd still like to see made into a full-length movie. It would probably be hard for them to come up with anything better than all the crazy shit in the trailer though. Michael Biehn was in the Thanksgiving trailer. That's what the Rob Zombie players are missing.....a bona fide cult action hero. How awesome would a showdown between Kyle Reese and that nut Doomhead have been in 31? Hell, maybe even switch out Malcolm McDowell for Rutger Hauer as the fop overseeing the festivities. Change it up a little. I've also seen speculation that the upcoming Rejects movie is some mess where they're actually on trial in hell. 

• Like 1

Picked up Halloween III: Season of the Witch (heh) and Pet Sematery today. What I didn't know about the latter was that they added Rachel's "return" at the end for the movie (been years since I read the book) and Mary Lambert thought it was humorous and somewhat of a tension reliever -- which is not true at all, it's just a double-down on the bleakness. It's no wonder King buried the book for years. Aside from Carrie, I consider it to be the best King film*, and certainly one of the most deeply felt. It's also a shame that Fred Gwynne never got a lifetime achievement award from the Oscars or the Emmys; despite not appearing in a lot of films he was a treasure of an actor. Apparently to gear himself up to break down in that one scene talking to Louis he smoked a bunch of cigarettes and drank a bunch of coffee, and that made him unstable enough to do it? Weird. 

BTW, the bump Louis takes when he falls off of Gage's bed and smacks his face into the bedside stand... ouch! I hope the dude didn't have to do too many takes of that. 

* Stand By Me doesn't count, nor does that other fucking movie that everyone else might name

EDIT: Also, "Pet Sematery" has to be one of the top songs done for or named after a film ever. RIP Dee Dee and Daniel Rey

• Like 1

I always hated Roger Ebert. He's the main reason I put no stock into the opinion of critics of any artform. I'll decide for myself what I like and don't. My favorite is David Lynch's response to Siskel & Ebert giving Lost Highway two thumbs down.

"two more great reasons to see Lost Highway"

I personally love Lost Highway, despite needing several viewings to try and make sense of it.

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Aside from Carrie, I consider it to be the best King film*

* Stand By Me doesn't count, nor does that other fucking movie that everyone else might name

Trying to decide between 2 films you might mean. And neither is likely to be Christine. :(

Ebert mellowed out with age/lack of alcohol/cancer. Personally I always thought Siskel was the real asshole of the two. Maybe it's because I grew up watching him, or live right outside his home town, but I love his writing if not always his opinions. 

It took me years to get around to watching Christine in full and you know what? It's great. I mean, it's a John Carpenter film from the man in his prime, of course it's great, but really -- it's great. You aren't gonna see a film like that made again, ever. 

As for the film of which I speak, it would have won the Oscar if that other piece of crap Forrest Gump (or, of course, Pulp Fiction) wasn't on the ballot. Can't make that any clearer without giving it away... (oh, and speaking of Forrest Gump, I didn't even consider the other film odessa is referring to)

I would agree with Fowler if the movie weren't so much better than the short story.  It is so much better that I am not even sure it counts.

Best King movie that is fairly close to the source materiel IMO is either The Dead Zone or Misery..

• Like 1

I can go with Dead Zone as probably #3 because I forgot all about it, and it's Cronenberg, and it's perfect. Misery is up there too. I don't think The Mist would be remembered by anyone if it didn't have that ending. The CGI is positively woeful. 

If we're gonna talk about dead-bang-on with the source it's probably "The Ledge" from Cat's Eye. 

EDIT: I don't mean to say The Mist is bad or anything. It's a fine film. I just don't think it would be remembered as much as it is, especially with any great favor, if it didn't crush your soul in the last five minutes. Also, if you haven't seen it in its black and white version go do that, way way better.

EDIT II: I also like The Mangler and love Graveyard Shift, so what do I know

Instead of editing... AGAIN...

I went back and looked at my top horror list (that nobody else bothered to join me in making) and Carrie and Pet Sematery are back to back as #s 69 and 70. Creepshow, however, is #50? And there are no other King related films on the list.

The Mist(film) was the longest bad shaggy dog joke ever. If it was told by Norm Macdonald it would be better.

"So I was with my kid, right? And we were trapped in a grocery store, you know. And there was these MONSTERS...."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Marty Sugar said:

Two movies in this month, already: The Visit and Hush. Enjoyed them both, but could've done without the adult diaper subplot in the former.

I have taken a trip down schlocky memory lane for the first three days:

Night One:

DEATH SPA~!  Veers into so bad it's awesome territory because a hot, young Karyn Parsons from Fresh Prince Of Bel Air is in this thing as is Vanessa Bell Calloway.  Hmm.  Evil spirit infects computer system and kills people.  Where have I seen that before.... THAT'S IT~!!  I wonder if Evilspeak is online somewhere??

Night Two:

THE STUFF~!  Are you eating it... OR IS IT EATING YOU~????  A vicious swipe at rampant consumerism only rivaled by a movie with "Dead" in the title.

And tonight..

EVILSPEAK~! - FUCK YEAH~!  Clint Howard's finest role as Satanic Misfit John Wick (you will understand if you dare watch the movie) that uses black magic and computer programming to take his revenge on a bunch of military school douchebags!   And the academy's secretary ain't half bad either in the obligatory female nude scene.  I don't remember it being this gory, though.  DEATH BY BOARS~!

• Like 1

Wait, did you find those on Youtube? I need to see all three of those again, Death Spa for the first time actually. 

Just to brag, here's what's playing this month at the Art: 

Mandy (missed it)

Shocktober Film Festival (all shorts so right up J.T.'s alley, just missed it tonight)

Rocky Horror (planning to go for my first time ever)

Ganja and Hess

All-Nite Horror Marathon VI (Patrick, The Driller Killer, NEKROMANTIK~!, Psychos In Love, Heavy Metal Massacre. I WILL stay all night this time)

Prom Night

Phantasm

Bones (!!!)

The Blob ('88) 

The Howling

Halloween ('78)

Hopefully I can get to Phantasm, Blob, and Howling along with Rocky and the marathon, though it's doubtful. I'm pretty sure I've already seen Phantasm on the big screen and Halloween will unfortunately probably have to be missed due to a gig with my annual Misfits cover band Teenage Martians.

• Like 1

The Hollywood Reporter brings word that director James Wan is stepping away from The Conjuring franchise for its upcoming third entry. Director Michael Chaves, coming off the upcoming The Curse of La Llorona, will step behind the camera for The Conjuring 3. Wan will remain on board the project as a producer and will act as a “godfather” for the series.

The Fury is on right now and it's still quite the dull little spy thriller livened up by Evil John Cassavetes and Scanners-esque telekinetic cerebral hemorrhages. 

Spoiler

The end, where the psychic girl makes Cassavetes explode, is an all time classic. John Williams' surprisingly corny score is not. But hey, Pauline Kael liked it, so what do I know?

EDIT: That body explosion still makes me say "FUCK!"

f26.gif

And that is just ONE camera angle they shoot it from

Halloween movie viewing going well. My family doesn't like horror films, so I don't get to watch much through out the year. So every October the family lets me go insane and take over the TV. Sometimes they watch with me if I can find something suitable.

Night 1 - Return of the Living Dead.

Just got the Scream Factory bluray of this. My wife hadn't seen it before, and she hates zombie films. She finds them depressing. I said "this is the Zombie movie for you." She quite enjoyed it. Sometimes she'd jump but she always had a big smile on her face. I think what surprised her was that the zombies moved at human speed and would even run. The first zombie attack, when the yellow bastard comes out of the meat locker, was a great reveal, because you don't expect it to bolt through the door and attack the guy furthest away. It shocked her. I enjoy the movie more everytime I see it because it's just so funny.

Night 2 - 47 Meters Down

Watched this with my 10 year old. It was fun just to yell and goof off with him. the dialogue is pretty terrible in that "How can we concisely explain to the audience who we are as characters in two sentences that we'd never utter to someone who actually knows us." they should just wear signs like "I'm the boring one" and "I'm the fun but not slutty one." Once things go south (47 meters south) it gets more fun if you like people getting slammed by giant sharks. My son enjoyed it until the end. then he was like Fudge this Movie.

Night 3 - The Babysitter

This one is directed by McG, who has a ridiculous name, but he seems like he's always having fun. I really enjoyed this as it feels like a cast of high school kids from the She's All That era, meet a kid from the 80s and try to kill him. It's all absurd but and bloody, but it relishes in it, so you don't roll your eyes too hard. The ending is actually pretty poignant too, which surprised me. Totally worth streaming if you're rooting around NEtflix.

You should get both of them together and watch Return 2 for a family night viewing. If Zombie Michael Jackson doesn't bust 'em up I'll eat my hat.

Oh snap, The Fury just ended and Demon Knight came on! (this is on Starz/Encore Suspense btw. Some later viewings on the channel today are Frankenstein from '31,  Carpenter's The Thing, and get this -- the Hammer version of The Phantom of the Opera!)