DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Not much of a horror guy, or a Netflix originals (formerly known as straight to dvd) guy for that matter, but this looks grimmmmm. Alas, it's got Gareth Evans behind it and Michael Sheen in it so I'm probably going to have to squirm my way through it

• Like 2

Well, I finally sat down and gave Hereditary a second viewing now that it's On Demand.

The supernatural elements of the movie seem to blend in much better with the psychological content that I gave it credit for the first time I watched the movie, but there was still a little too much convenient coincidence going on.

Spoiler

It seems as though the Paiman cult used the family's dysfunction to its advantage and not just Anne's immediate family, but the entire fucking Graham clan.  

Anne's inability to come to term with her mother's death left her extremely vulnerable and the death of her daughter, Charlie, gave the cult the in they needed to begin seducing Anne into the occult.. 

Little did Anne realize that her mom was in cahoots with the Paiman cult the entire time and Anne's family's "history of mental illness" was actually the cult continuing to reincarnate Paiman by using the men of the Graham family as vessels.

The timing in the third act was a bit too perfect though.  Charlie's untimely death allows the cult to jump start the new rebirth, but what would've happened if Charlie had never been killed in the car accident?  How long would the cult have waited to make their move?  

I enjoyed Hereditary quite a bit and Toni Collette deserves a Oscar nom for that performance, however the story itselt is tied in too neat of a bundle at the end for my liking.  I hate it when puzzle pieces fit together too perfectly, but I suppose you could chalk that up to invisible supernatural hands or something.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, Lawful Metal said:

The pace is glacial, there's no real plot or plot development, there's not a ton of dialogue, and there's plenty of that strobe lights in a padded cell for 70 minutes tedious type bullshit.  And Nic Cage was apparently never told no in regards to an acting choice. 

So, yeah, if that's gonna bother you, it's gonna bother you.  It's definitely not for everyone.  The Graveyard Shift showing at the Alamo Drafthouse was very divided on it.  About half loved it, a quarter had no idea what just happened, and another quarter was not impressed at all. 

That's why this at least warrants a viewing. I'm guessing I'll be somewhere in the middle group. 

Looks like AHS Apocalypse will be all about poking Entitlement in the eye this season.

While I love the social commentary, the bad things are happening to characters I really don't empathize with so I am debating if it is worth sitting through the schlock to see these Silver Spoons get what's coming to them.

I had no idea Joan mother fucking Collins had a role this season..... pretty much playing a much older version of her character from Dynasty.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:31 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

That's why this at least warrants a viewing. I'm guessing I'll be somewhere in the middle group. 

Y'all need to go see Mandy in a theater if you get a chance. Preferably drunk or high (if legal where you live of course...). It's quite the experience...  not sure I can really compare it to much else. But I can't stop thinking about it. 

On 9/18/2018 at 1:42 AM, J.T. said:

Gareth Evan's short in V/H/S 2 entitled Safe Haven is easily the best one in the movie and it stands on its own really well, so it is good to see him make another entry into Horror-ish territory.

Holy shit Safe Haven was so good  -- I watched a torrent of the movie where Safe Haven had no subtitles and that still took nothing away from it.  It's that good.

• Like 1

Watched Hereditary last night. Had managed to go in without spoilers and DAMN. Wasn't what I expected, the big signpost twist caught me off guard entirely and the whole film was WAY more emotionally gutting than I had prepared for. It got there with the scares but I do feel like the scare factor was overstated in a lot of early reviews. The thing that makes it great also holds it back a bit for me...it's evident real early that this will be a meticulous film, so I'm looking for patterns/repetitions/hints/themes and as a result a lot of the direction it took wasn't super shocking but it still got me in a few spots and the meticulous nature also meant seeing all my speculation play out was SUPER satisfying (I even got that the background Shakespeare analysis in class would turn out to be the arc of the film). 

It's incredibly shot with great use of repetition altered by context. Prime example:

Spoiler

Peter's fixed gaze checking out his crush's butt in class early on followed by the same setup shot but with him staring into nothing, the camera focused on a blank spot of floor with her off to the side, unimportant, after the accident.

It's a real good movie. The only real fault I can find is that, in many ways it ramps too suddenly at the end. Like a thirty minute wrestling match with 25 minutes of tight headlocks and matwork followed by 5 minutes of big spots and finishers with nothing in between. And after a film that trusted the audience to follow it, the exposition-y explanation of the whole film at the end was a little flat.That said, a ton of the shots and sounds in this film will stick with me so I can't argue it wasn't effective on the whole and it hit WAY more than it missed. Big recommendation.

• Like 1