DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Some nice chances to watch and rewatch many of these this year. My highest off-the-wall recommendations go to Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy (I must've watched that a zillion times on the $3 VHS copy I had as a kid) and Spirits of the Dead, two films that are completely and totally different in every way.

I thought that Asylum was a pretty good season and I also liked Murder House and Cult.

Roanoke had an interesting premise and an incredible first episode, but it went downhill from there.

I thought Freak Show was okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some people did.

Hotel was flash without substance, but the flash was kinda awesome.  If you watched all of the scenes with Lady Gaga as a glam vampire, you saw nearly all of the good parts. 

Hotel got some cool points for throwing a punch at the chin of the anti-vaccination movement, but then several cool points were taken away thanks to the disturbing use of sexual assault as a metaphor aka the Addiction Demon's penchant for... well... research that shit for yourself...

• Like 1

Some of my friends were geeking out about Terrifier so I decided to rent it. With the awful name and the fucking clown on the cover I was ignoring it, but when King from Deceased gives anything a 90 out of 100 on his personal scale (60 is pretty much a zero so there's a curve), being the horror freak with good taste that he is, my ears perked up. Let ya know what I think later on tonight. 

I also had to return Another Wolfcop without watching it but I don't think that was much of a miss (and I got Detroit for free so expect some gnashing of teeth in anger later too)

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Damn, that's a major bummer on Shockwerks, especially after American Horrors and Bizarre TV also bit the dust earlier this year.

Thanks for the tip on Freakmax. Haven't heard of that one so will need to check it out.

Any other recommendations out there for rando Roku streaming channels of horror and B-movies besides Freakmax and B-Movie TV?

Those two are the last of the live streaming ones as far as I can tell. The rest are all libraries and there's a lot of overlap between them. There's also a pretty limited amount of content on most of them as well. Whether it's nostalgia or not being bombarded by so many goddamn choices, I like being able to randomly tune into something and even the intrigue of not knowing what the hell it is. I wouldn't get too excited about Freakmax. I think I've seen maybe five different movies and one of those is endless showings of the king of public domain horror, Night of the Living Dead. I've seen enough of that one recently just based off of the Rifftrax version on Pluto. Besides that, they seemed to repeatedly show some Italian cannibal movie that I believe was Massacre In Dinosaur Valley. I'm not even sure if I saw Eaten Alive  (cannibal version, not Tobe Hooper version) on there or on B Movie TV. The thing I seem to see on the most often at the moment is some early 70s western starring Jim Brown and Leif Garrett. It's not 24/7 either. It's mostly on after 8 and some days it doesn't seem like it streams at all. 

Here's the list I used to find channels.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels 

Codes are included when you click on each channel. Of course, within the past month, Shockwerks closed up and it's still included. I also noticed the error code "not available in your region" when I tried to add a couple of these channels. Grindhouse Grit has the first 2 Faces Of Death in its library, but not a whole lot else. Midnight Pulp probably has the most eclectic mix but some of the more interesting stuff requires some kind of subscription. Contamination's free (it's actually listed under leaving soon) but Mark of the Devil (the Cannibal Ferox to Witchfinder General's Cannibal Holocaust) is leaving soon too but requires a subscription to view. 5 bucks a month. I imagine there's a lot of overlap with Shudder or other apps like Tubi or just searching YouTube.

• Thanks 2

On 9/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

Those two are the last of the live streaming ones as far as I can tell. The rest are all libraries and there's a lot of overlap between them.

Here are a few I tune into.

American Horrors is still around and seems to have a running live stream. Some interesting weird offerings too.

There is also one called Horror Habit that seems to start a movie randomly whenever you launch the app. I haven't checked it out enough to know if the catalog is any good.

Of course, Shudder has four live streams going for subscribers along with the VOD catalog. And also Joe Bob Briggs will seemingly be live again in November and December and live for a regular weekly series next year.

Grindhouse Grit has a "live" feature, but it's really just a random selection that starts playing.  It's a very cheap subscription. ($2 a month) and has some nice things in the exploitation genre (a Russ Myers collection and some Jess Franco, etc.).

Blue Mermaid is basically the same company and same price ($2/m) for a similar but not entirely overlapping selection.

Cult TV a Go Go is a slightly different model. For 99 cents a month they upload two reels of movies each week (plus 5 or 6 bonus features). The two main reels are usually three random weird movies. The bonus are usually one movie or a few episodes of some weird old tv or something else.  For $1 a month it's a nice gamble. Usually at least one is episodes of Dark Shadows.

Midnight Pulp is pricier at $5/m but is a very slick and professional looking app/site. It seems to have a lot on it as well and might be worth a seasonal subscription.

• Thanks 3

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I'd totally be down for him doing trivia on a piece of crap like Cannibal Ferox, Eaten Alive or Dr. Butcher M.D. (which is probably my favorite non-Chainsaw cannibal film. I mean you got cannibals AND zombies AND a mad doctor, what more can you ask for?)

It also has the coolest trailer ever that shows basically everything cool in the film (NSFW obviously)

Hide contents

1. Wow... That was a green band trailer?  I wonder what the red band version looked like.
  2. Damn, scary movie tropes.  I hate them.  The black dude doesn't even survive to the end of the movie, much less the end of the trailer.
  3. The shoestring budget editing shot of the stuntman jumping though the sugar glass window and doing the half gainer to make sure he lands on the air bag correctly before the cut to the dummy being thrown off the roof is the best!
  4. As is the repeated clarification that the MD In Dr. Butcher MD stands for Medical Deviate, not Medical Doctor.  I guess gorehounds back in the seventies were either idiots or did not get the less than subtle hints.

There's also the Shout Factory channel. It seems to have quite a bit more content on it than the Shout Factory app on the Firestick. Here is a list of some of the better stuff.

• Piranha- original and apparently some 1995 remake.
  • Humanoids From The Deep.
  • Night of The Demons.
  • Q: The Winged Serpent.
  • White Of The Eye.
  • The Editor.
  • Class of 1984.
  • Neon Maniacs.
  • Gargoyles. 
  • Nightbreed: Director's Cut.

There also seems to be a load of euro Jaws rip-offs and other killer fishmen movies.

Thanks for the heads up on those channels. Shudder has seven live streams on Firestick, depending on whether or not the guest curator's channel is up. That means turn it on at any random time to the curator's channel and see Street Trash. For some reason though, both versions' stream of The Beyond is out of whack. That also seems to be the case with a couple of other movies. 

10 hours ago, J.T. said:
  • Damn, scary movie tropes.  I hate them.  The black dude doesn't even survive to the end of the movie, much less the end of the trailer.

That was actually at the end of the movie. Dakar was the evil henchman to the evil doctor (unlike in Zombie where he was the right hand of the good doctor).

Man I want to see Neon Maniacs again...

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was actually at the end of the movie. Dakar was the evil henchman to the evil doctor (unlike in Zombie where he was the right hand of the good doctor).

Man I want to see Neon Maniacs again...

The best version on YouTube is in full HD but unfortunately the language dub is in Italian.

If you want to suffer through an auto playlist that has the movie cut into ten minute bits, there's that route.

3 minutes ago, turk128 said:

I just stumbled on the trailer and it looks like a throwback to 70s psychedelic stuff.

You don't even know.  It's dreamy, it's batshit, it's the Nic Cage-iest movie ever made, but in a good way.  If that makes sense.  And the soundtrack is amazing.  And it's gorgeous to look at.  I can't stop thinking about it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now I'm gonna be really mad if I DON'T like it. Y'all better not be playing.

The pace is glacial, there's no real plot or plot development, there's not a ton of dialogue, and there's plenty of that strobe lights in a padded cell for 70 minutes tedious type bullshit.  And Nic Cage was apparently never told no in regards to an acting choice. 

So, yeah, if that's gonna bother you, it's gonna bother you.  It's definitely not for everyone.  The Graveyard Shift showing at the Alamo Drafthouse was very divided on it.  About half loved it, a quarter had no idea what just happened, and another quarter was not impressed at all.