DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Sex-Head's facial tics while the strobe lights were flashing reminded me of Frankenhooker. I also saw a video of one of Rob's recent concerts where the on-stage theater screen played the crucifixion flashback scenes from Lair Of The White Worm in the background. It reminded how I've always thought those scenes were similar to the inferior music video cut scenes in Lords Of Salem. The movies are different but it's a joke how much better Worm pulls off hyper-stylized trippy flashbacks than Lords; with its mechanical bulls and sex toy-stroking bishops.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 8:51 AM, J.T. said:

Down a Dark Hall with Uma Thurman should sneak into theaters this Friday (August 17th).

Not into any theaters in the city of Chicago apparently. There's one suburb that has it out in the suburbs. I'd like to talk to the owner and ask them why they chose this while everyone else did not. I don't know why I'm bummed. I literally just heard about it just now when I decided to check out this thread. I guess I feel like it's on me to make sure Uma Thurman movies make money.

That John Cho flick looks fun. I thought Unfriended was cute and handled its gimmick in an entertaining way. Also gotta support the asian-american lead vehicles.

I don't go to the cineplex often, but when I do, it's to vote with my dollars as to what I want to see more of. And apparently it's Uma Thurman and Asians. 

• Like 1

I watched Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X the other day for the first time in like 20 years. They’re both crazy stupid fun, especially Goes to Hell. It got me thinking that you can pretty neatly split the Friday the 13th movies that actually have Jason as the antagonist into three trilogies: 2,3,4 (Hillbilly Psycho Camp Slasher trilogy); 6,7,8 (Unexplained Supernaturally Undead Bog Monster Trilogy); Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs Jason (New Line’s Self Aware Batshit Crazy Fan Fiction trilogy.) Reappraising them recently moved Friday the 13th up ahead of Nightmare on Elm Street as my favorite horror franchise. 

• Like 1

Jason Goes To Hell is stupid beyond belief, but I will always give it a pass because of this scene:

One of the most disturbingly random things I have ever seen in a horror movie.

I will always love Jason X because it has the best murder ever in a F13 movie:

*see (BP)'s post*

It also has my two celebrity crushes from the television show, Andromeda, in the cast.  

I am not sure how the studio succeeded in paying Lisa Ryder (Beka Valentine) enough cash get her to show her boobs, but failed to meet Lexa Doig's (Rommie) price tag to get her naked, especially given Lexa's barely there wardrobe on television.

• Like 1

More info on Season 4 of Channel Zero:

Based on the “creepypasta” short story “Hidden Door” by Charlotte Bywater, CHANNEL ZERO: THE DREAM DOOR follows newlyweds Jillian and Tom, who have each brought secrets into their marriage. When they discover a strange door in their basement, those secrets start to threaten their relationship — and their lives.

Brandon Scott will star as “Tom Hodgson,” Jillian’s husband (and childhood best friend), a capable and thoughtful man who is deeply in love with his wife. But he’s troubled when secrets from their past threaten the marriage.

Maria Sten will star as “Jillian Hope Hodgson,” a landscape designer who has just married her childhood best friend. They’ve just moved into the house where he grew up — a house they hope to transform, through their combined skills, into their dream home.

Steven Robertson will play “Ian,” Tom and Jillian’s next door neighbor, an open-minded psychology grad student who becomes involved in Tom and Jillian’s bizarre experience with the mysterious door in their basement.

Steven Weber will recur as “Abel Carnacki,” Jillian’s therapist. He has been listening to Jillian long enough to know about her trust issues and where they stem from. His quiet, controlled, almost hard to read tone is sometimes infuriating for Jillian, especially when she tries to talk to him about what — or who — was behind the door in their basement.

Season 4 is supposed to debut in October 2018.

You may remember Brandon Scott as the actor that played Deputy Luke Vanczyk in Season 3 (Butcher's Block).

I am stoked by the black led cast and am curious about how the writers will expand on the Hidden Door creepypasta and hopefully they will try to incorporate more of the base story than they did during Season 3. 

The writers tried to embed most of the ideas from their respective "inspirations" during Seasons 1 and 2, but there wasn't much Search & Rescue in Butcher's Block other than the mysterious staircase to nowhere bits.

• Like 1

The Ranger was playing at the Art for free tonight so I took a drive out to see what was the big deal. It got pretty good reviews on Daily Grindhouse (one of which is a full-on spoiler, so caveat emptor) and any slasher movie or movie with punks in it is already up my alley -- combine them and now we're talkin. It was a pretty solid, lean little slasher with enough of its tongue in cheek to balance out the seriously nasty predicaments the characters end up in. Overall I'd say give it a rental, it was a breezy, bloody enough waste of 90 minutes. 

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Slice

Horror/Comedy but if JT is gonna keep posting about Searching this qualifies for this thread too

I saw this trailer yesterday.  There is a good chance I could get my horror hating boo to sit through it since it is a dark comedy.

Showtime is developing a horror series based on Scott Thomas’ novel “Kill Creek” with “Doctor Strange” director Scott Derrickson to executive produce and direct.

Thomas is writing the adaptation himself, while also serving as an executive producer, along with “Underground” co-creator Misha Green. Green currently serves as writer and showrunner on HBO’s upcoming drama series, “Lovecraft Country,” from Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions, J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Wbtv.

In “Kill Creek,” Sam McGarver and three fellow masters of the macabre reluctantly agree to spend Halloween night in one of the country’s most infamous haunted houses, their presence awakens an entity that will torment and threaten to make them a part of Kill Creek’s bloody legacy.

YAY~!

The extended trailer for the Suspiria reboot has the one of the most cringe worthy yet clickbaity screencaps ever.

I keep forgetting that Thom Yorke from Radiohead composed the score.  Even if I skip the movie, I may have to pick up the OST.

I'm happy that they're keeping with the theme about how important the color Red is to the story however unlike the original, the color palate for the scenes has been expanded past primary colors 

It also looks like they might be going for more than just a Suspria reboot since there's a lot of Three Mothers stuff being mentioned in the trailer.

The previews for Summer of 84 made it look like it could be a fun movie or just more nostalgia trying to ride the coattails of stranger things.  It ended up being more of the former with a "Stranger Things meets Rear Window/The 'Burbs" plot.  None of the set pieces or references to the time are gratuitous and just part of the mise en scene while the main characters provide different character tropes you get with a teen movie while still being well done.  Most of the movie is entertaining while not being overly graphic, though the third act really kicks up the suspense and tension.  Not a new classic but very watchable.

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Lugosi's Dracula is on right now and during the introduction to him, they show a trio of armadillos walking out from under the staircase. WTF? Was there any reason for this? Are there armadillos in Transylvania? Are they supposed to be scary? Because they aren't.

Apparently in the 20s and 30s, armadillos weren’t very commonly known, so moviemakers would use them wherever they needed some creepy, ‘demonic’ animal running around. So there were a lot of armadillos in early filmmaking, and it was often people’s only source of reference for armadillos.

I don't know if that's true or not but it's the explanation I've always heard.  The bee that has its own tiny coffin in that same scene always gets me.

Last year I saw this in a theater with the Kronos Quartet and Philip Glass playing Glass' score for Dracula live in front of the screen.  Definitely one of the best concert experiences I've had.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was envious when you said that about Glass and the Quartet last year. The local Art has done Nosferatu with accompaniment a couple times but I always miss it, need to rectify that this year if they do it again. 

You know, thinking about armadillos, it's interesting that Tobe Hooper put a dead one in the beginning of Texas Chainsaw. Not that he gave it that much thought but the subtext of them being used conventionally in the cinema as symbols of fear and having one dead and upside down, then proceeding to turn the genre on its ear with the rest of the film, is kinda neat. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, HumanChessgame said:

The previews for Summer of 84 made it look like it could be a fun movie or just more nostalgia trying to ride the coattails of stranger things.  It ended up being more of the former with a "Stranger Things meets Rear Window/The 'Burbs" plot.  None of the set pieces or references to the time are gratuitous and just part of the mise en scene while the main characters provide different character tropes you get with a teen movie while still being well done.  Most of the movie is entertaining while not being overly graphic, though the third act really kicks up the suspense and tension.  Not a new classic but very watchable.

I was expecting a PG-13 Stranger Things vibe but that ending veered into hard R territory and really brought the room down. 

I liked it but yeah, that one part really sucked.