DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Curt McGirt said:

That's another mean one that gets rarely spoken about. I'm not sure what's crazier, nailing women's scalps to mannequins or having your own metal room in the basement where you can set people on fire (!!!)

Reveal hidden contents

Forgot to put it on the list but I got a real Monster feel from My Friend Dahmer, too. 

A Quiet Place was watched last night and unfortunately I mentally checked out when 

Reveal hidden contents

the wife was seen to be pregnant. I understand the whole "repopulate the earth" idea, plus their guilt over the other kid dying, but bringing a child to birth in an environment dictated by silence struck me as completely stupid. They could have cut that entire subplot out and the film would have worked as well. As it is, a good film but that was a pretty big mark against it for me. 

Eh, I think the whole point was to show that the family wasn't going to allow the monsters to prevent them from continuing to function like a family should. 

The pure ingenuity of the father was breathtaking.  He transformed nearly ever facet of his family's life to accommodate for the hunting methods of the creatures.  That is survival instinct for your ass right there.

The one part where I nearly checked out was:

Spoiler

The fucking nail in the step.  How forgetful are these people that they never fixed it even after someone (the mother?) snagged their clothes on it

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

You bite your tongue, Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-a-Rama is a great film!

Return of the Living Dead is much better, has maximum Linnea Quigley if you know what I mean and would've given Joe Bob the chance to tell stories about Dan O'Bannon instead of David D.D. Cocktoe. Night of the Demons too although it should sadden all of you to know that Linnea's lipstick eating rack in that is only a prosthetic and not a special talent she possessed.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Night of the Demons too although it should sadden all of you to know that Linnea's lipstick eating rack in that is only a prosthetic and not a special talent she possessed.

I reviewed Night of the Demons and the reboot last Halloween.  One was great, the other not so much.

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

But are either as good as Night (Curse) of the Demon?

#runes

Of course not,  you're talking classic M.R. James.

13 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I'm guessing you mean the one where Ed Furlong looked scarier than the actual demons. That was the one you would refer to as the drizzling shits.

In a word, yes. :)

Let us not forget the horrible 1980 bigfoot Night of the Demon where:

Spoiler

The sasquatch (a product of inbred devil worship because what in the shit else would he be?)

:Rips off a biker's pee pee when he stops to take a leak by the side of the road.

:Murders a couple of girl scouts by ripping off their arms and beating them to death with their own appendages.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Eh, I think the whole point was to show that the family wasn't going to allow the monsters to prevent them from continuing to function like a family should. 

The pure ingenuity of the father was breathtaking.  He transformed nearly ever facet of his family's life to accommodate for the hunting methods of the creatures.  That is survival instinct for your ass right there.

The one part where I nearly checked out was:

Reveal hidden contents

The fucking nail in the step.  How forgetful are these people that they never fixed it even after someone (the mother?) snagged their clothes on it

The real, real part where you mentally check out is when you realize that the aliens' weakness is something that should have been obvious.  "Oh, their hearing is so sensitive they can hear a pin drop?  Let me just download a 10000hz tone and I'm good to go."  I mean it's not "Signs" level dumb, but it's close.

I really did enjoy Quiet Place, but that nail in the step really takes me out of it. For one, in no build of any steps anywhere would a nail be pointing up like that in the middle of a step. It was not connected to anything. It was not holding the step to another board or another board to the step. And nobody would pound a nail in to a step from the bottom up. Second, up to that point, they went out of their way to show several instances of the mother being ever so careful about every movement she was making. If this same person did snag her laundry bag on "something" on the steps, she would not have just pulled so hard to have bent such a large nail straight up and then gone on her merry way. She would have quietly put the bag down and investigated more closely to see what the snag was and fixed it.

Again, I did like the movie quite a bit, but that one point really stuck with me when I saw it in theaters, and I made sure to watch more closely when we more recently watched it at home. Still sticks out to me and bugs me to no end. Poor plot point to an otherwise really decent movie.

It looked like Baphomet with a really bad complexion. I forgot where the hell I saw those things referred to as ogres though.

Spoiler

The other thing is that based on the orgy scene (technically not even an orgy but a bunch of possessed idiots gathered around two other possessed people humping on top of an altar)they were apparently nothing more than hallucinations since they only turned into creatures when somebody looked through the opening in the wall.

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Suspiria remake will run a hour longer than the original (152 minutes as compared to 92)

That is dumb.  The urban myth that there is a longer edit of Suspiria was debunked long ago.  Why make a version of Suspria that is unbearably longer than the first?