DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Well I screwed up, tomorrow is Child's Play and the Stir of Echoes movies. I did catch a minute of Little Monsters but I saw that thing way too many times as a kid. 

FWIW The First Purge has been given low marks by the local paper (expected) and Roger Ebert.com, but Daily Grindhouse and Oh, The Horror! geeked out over it. I think it'll be worth a watch. Right now The Purge: Anarchy is on and I'm catching up because I've never seen either of these first two. 

Oh! And I finally rented My Friend Dahmer! Letcha know how that turns out. 

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well I screwed up, tomorrow is Child's Play and the Stir of Echoes movies. I did catch a minute of Little Monsters but I saw that thing way too many times as a kid. 

FWIW The First Purge has been given low marks by the local paper (expected) and Roger Ebert.com, but Daily Grindhouse and Oh, The Horror! geeked out over it. I think it'll be worth a watch. Right now The Purge: Anarchy is on and I'm catching up because I've never seen either of these first two. 

Oh! And I finally rented My Friend Dahmer! Letcha know how that turns out. 

Ah fuck, here I was all set for the Mimic trilogy (which I've never watched as a marathon before). 

We have an official statement from Shudder:

"The staggering demand for Joe Bob has temporarily overwhelmed Shudder TV. We’re working hard to fix it! Once we fix things, you’ll be able to join the live-stream in progress.

Even better, we’ll be posting the entire TOURIST TRAP with Joe Bob’s commentary so you can catch up.

And on top of it all, we will rerun the marathon in its entirety later next week on ShudderTV.

The full films with Joe Bob's commentary will be available to view On Demand starting early next week, not only on Shudder, but on Amazon Channels, VRV, and YouTube TV.

We apologize for a frustrating experience this evening, but we THANK YOU for your tremendous support and fandom!"

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, Curt McGirt said:

FUCK YEAH

I don't care if it sucks even, just the fact that it exists makes me happy

Holy shit! I just re-watched the first one on Starz on demand and it holds up very well

My feed on the Fire Stick tried to crap out a few times. Apparently I was one of the lucky ones because I eventually got the channel to load in time to catch every one of Joe Bob's intros. Every episode of the Last Drive-In was posted as content by 3 AM. I missed the best stretch of the live marathon which was from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, when Basket Case, Re-Animator and Demons were all shown back to back. Then after Boggy Creek, things closed strongly with Hellraiser and Pieces.

At least I got something fresh for next weekend to booze it up to. Of course, I own all those movies on DVD and Blu-Ray besides the fact that Pluto shows Hellraiser fifty times a month. For that matter, Pluto's horror channel kicks the shit out of any premium horror channel for the simple fact that on any given day you can flip it on and see Hellraiser or Return of the Living Dead.  I never bothered watching Monster Vision on TNT because horror movies chopped and censored to bits on basic cable is worthless therefore I never caught any of Joe Bob's segments. I'm really looking forward to watching the episode featuring Re-Animator.

I never realized that the other hot girl in Tourist Trap was actually the daughter in Death Wish II. Death at the hands of dummies was a thousand times more dignified than what happened to her in that one.  It was also fun to hear Joe Bob recount how his positive newspaper review of Pieces drew the ire of feminist and conservative groups alike and played a huge role in it gaining its notorious notoriety. Joe Bob even branched out a few times taking the piss out of the whole anthem debate nonsense (with Colin Kaepernick getting more mentions than any horror director, star or monster) as well as plenty of potshots at the dictator in chief.

I didn't like the whole line-up but I guess that's Shudder's fault for having the rights to shit like Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama babes instead of Chopping Mall.  I would've also rather heard about the inner workings of Twins of Evil or Vampire Circus instead of some random Euro lesbian vampire movie. Again, that's a content issue where they need to add some of the sleazier and weirder Hammer films. Beyond the Darkness just  recently got taken off of Shudder's content or else I would've loved for Joe Bob to have the balls (forcing his audience to have the stomachs) to endure that. Maybe the outpouring of support (not to mention the way Shudder botched this) means Joe Bob can muster up one last drive-in around Halloween.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:36 AM, Curt McGirt said:

If it makes you feel better, I watched My Friend Dahmer. It's in a short list of films we have on this planet:

Henry

Maniac

Seven

Combat Shock

Ted Bundy

Yeah, one of those. Caveat Emptor.. And not for gore at all this time, period. 

I actually found the flame thrower wielding sicko from Don't Go In The House to be a more disturbing or disturbed killer than Frank Zito.

• Like 1

That's another mean one that gets rarely spoken about. I'm not sure what's crazier, nailing women's scalps to mannequins or having your own metal room in the basement where you can set people on fire (!!!)

Spoiler

Forgot to put it on the list but I got a real Monster feel from My Friend Dahmer, too. 

A Quiet Place was watched last night and unfortunately I mentally checked out when 

Spoiler

the wife was seen to be pregnant. I understand the whole "repopulate the earth" idea, plus their guilt over the other kid dying, but bringing a child to birth in an environment dictated by silence struck me as completely stupid. They could have cut that entire subplot out and the film would have worked as well. As it is, a good film but that was a pretty big mark against it for me. 

Thanks for reminding me that Jill Scholen is in Curse II.  I've been tracking my brain for the theme of my part of the weekend movie binge club I have going with a bunch of friends.  A Jill Scholen triple feature of Curse II, Phantom on Elm Street, and Popcorn would be perfect.

• Like 1

Heads up if you've got Starz Encore Suspense: Inferno is playing right now and replaying at 6 PM Central. I just came in at the part where

Spoiler

the bastard of a shop clerk gets attacked by cats whilst in the process of trying to drown a bag of them, falls in the ditch and starts to get attacked by rats, hollers at the food truck guy to help him who promptly sprints over, hacks up his neck with a butcher knife, and rolls him deeper into the gutter so the rats can finish eating him!!!

That, my friends, is why we watch Argento films. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:38 AM, odessasteps said:

Even better, we’ll be posting the entire TOURIST TRAP with Joe Bob’s commentary so you can catch up.

OH MY GOD~!!!!!!!!!!!!

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Curt McGirt said:

That's another mean one that gets rarely spoken about. I'm not sure what's crazier, nailing women's scalps to mannequins or having your own metal room in the basement where you can set people on fire (!!!)

Reveal hidden contents

Forgot to put it on the list but I got a real Monster feel from My Friend Dahmer, too. 

A Quiet Place was watched last night and unfortunately I mentally checked out when 

Reveal hidden contents

the wife was seen to be pregnant. I understand the whole "repopulate the earth" idea, plus their guilt over the other kid dying, but bringing a child to birth in an environment dictated by silence struck me as completely stupid. They could have cut that entire subplot out and the film would have worked as well. As it is, a good film but that was a pretty big mark against it for me. 

What's messed up is while recently viewing Don't Go In The House on Amazon Prime, I figured out they cut out nudity on certain films.

Spoiler

During the first murder of the poor flower shop girl, the Amazon version only shows her above the shoulders during the whole scene. I just had to find the movie on YouTube and jump to that scene to make sure I wasn't going crazy since it had been awhile since I watched this. Needless to say the gratuitous nudity makes the scene a million times more sleazy and depraved. In terms of sheer mean spirited kills to go along with sleazy exploitation, this scene alone is enough to put Don't Go In The House right up there with the original Toolbox Murders.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Heads up if you've got Starz Encore Suspense: Inferno is playing right now and replaying at 6 PM Central. I just came in at the part where

Reveal hidden contents

the bastard of a shop clerk gets attacked by cats whilst in the process of trying to drown a bag of them, falls in the ditch and starts to get attacked by rats, hollers at the food truck guy to help him who promptly sprints over, hacks up his neck with a butcher knife, and rolls him deeper into the gutter so the rats can finish eating him!!!

That, my friends, is why we watch Argento films. 

What's funny is I was just thinking after seeing this on Encore last week how lame that attack was and that's coming from somebody who hates the bastards.  That assist you mention was pretty cool though. Also the old book dealer prick looks like Billy Drago.  

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I figured out they cut out nudity on certain films

One more reason not to support Amazon! Yay! 

You know, them being censorious is actually kind of quaint, having grown up with Walmart and Blockbuster all these years. It's a neat little reminder that the richer they are, the worse they'll always be. 

An American Werewolf in London has been on BBC America (one guess why) and I don't know if there is a more depressing finale in any film that is supposed -- on the surface, at least -- to be funny than that. Maybe that's why I've always passed on it as a great film; it was too cold. At the same time it fits with ANY other werewolf film EVER. The sympathy drawn up for Naughton is something incredible in that one.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

An American Werewolf in London has been on BBC America (one guess why) and I don't know if there is a more depressing finale in any film that is supposed -- on the surface, at least -- to be funny than that. Maybe that's why I've always passed on it as a great film; it was too cold. At the same time it fits with ANY other werewolf film EVER. The sympathy drawn up for Naughton is something incredible in that one.

Totally agreed.  There is (arguably) no more likeable a film protagonist than David Kessler.

I may be in the minority but I think the werewolf in The Howling is closer to what the creature should be while the beast in American Werewolf In London is just a big ass dog that has been injecting Bane serum caliber steroids. Of course, that doesn't mean the effects from The Howling are on par with American Werewolf In London. Nonetheless I still dig the transformation from The Howling. Bladder effects get a bum rap.

I don't think you can beat American Werewolf's transformation for effects, but Howling's was ten times scarier, and so are its werewolves. Naughton is still a surprise in dog/wolf form because you aren't really sure what's coming from that transformation. Howling's were just motherfuckers that were lean, mean, and keen to rip your face off. And stop motion, used in the finale of that, is also underrated ?