DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, Technico Support said:

It should be noted that power washing is fun as a motherfucker and if you've never power washed your deck, driveway, concrete steps, whatever, go rent a proper gas-powered powerwasher and get to it.

The only time I didn't enjoy it was when I had to pressure wash the underside of a deck, which is essentially like standing in the rain for an hour.

I keep thinking about taking the plunge and buying one but $300 or so for a decent one is a little rich for my blood.

First you post the trailer for The Nun in the Upcoming Movies thread instead of here and then you come to the Horror Movie Thread to talk about power washing.

Why do you hate the Horror Movie Thread?

Anyway, I did manage to make an early afternoon showing of Hereditary yesterday and it was pretty fucking awesome.  I did not particularly care for the supernatural sub-plots even though it did mesh well with the rest of the story. 

The theme of family skeletons and sins of the parents REALLY hit home with me since I am helping my mom cope with my father's dementia and I am just now beginning to see how the dysfunction of a prominent family member affects all branches of the family tree.

I am so happy that Ari Aster figured out that the best way to make a great horror film is to make a great film that just happens to be scary.

I will be angry if Toni Collette is not in Oscar talks this season.

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, RIPPA said:

The Nun

It is a Conjuring spin-off for whatever that is worth

I have enjoyed both of the Conjuring movies despite my misgivings about financing the Warrens' alleged chicanery and the most recent Annabelle joint was also quite good.

I will go into this one with low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:06 AM, J.T. said:

First you post the trailer for The Nun in the Upcoming Movies thread instead of here and then you come to the Horror Movie Thread to talk about power washing.

Why do you hate the Horror Movie Thread?

LOL!  To bring it back on topic, I'm really disappointed that, during the 80s spate of Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoffs, we didn't get a killer who dispatched teens with a power washer.  I guess the logistics would be a little rough, but I'd give it a shot!

On 6/15/2018 at 9:54 AM, J.T. said:

I have enjoyed both of the Conjuring movies despite my misgivings about financing the Warrens' alleged chicanery and the most recent Annabelle joint was also quite good.

I will go into this one with low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Same.  The last Annabelle was a pleasant surprise, especially after how meh the first one was.

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL!  To bring it back on topic, I'm really disappointed that, during the 80s spate of Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoffs, we didn't get a killer who dispatched teens with a power washer.  I guess the logistics would be a little rough, but I'd give it a shot!

If Anton Chigurh can lug around a cattle gun in No Country For Old Men, we can make a movie about a psycho killer whose preferred weapon is a power washer.

• Like 2

Jordan Peele is fucking awesome.

HBO added a trio of new cast members — Courtney B. Vance, Elizabeth Debicki abd Aunjanue Ellis — to “Lovecraft Country,” its upcoming drama from Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions.

The three will star opposite Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Jonathan Majors and Wunmi Mosaku.

“Lovecraft Country,” which is based on the 2016 novel from Matt Ruff, follows Atticus Black as he joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback, according to the series’ description.

Vance will portray George Black, Atticus’ (Majors) uncle and publisher of the “Safe Negro Travel Guide,” while Ellis will play George’s wife,

• Like 2

Pumped for Lovecraft Country (as an HBO subscriber). 

Actually just had someone donate the book at my shop the other day and thought "This looks interesting." and grabbed it for myself, so solid timing there. Whether it leaves my pile of shame to be consumed before the adaptation is up for grabs though.

• Like 1

In celebration of The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs, Nitehawk Cinema, Shudder, and Joe Bob are teaming up for a special screening of DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS.

It’s that old story of a beautiful Hungarian countess and her lesbian assistant who arrive at a grand hotel in the middle of the night and notice newlyweds who look like they could be ghoul meat. But this is a European art house film,  so it all gets worked out through witty conversation, rough sex, and people dying in grisly ways.

Hope you can join Joe Bob LIVE IN BROOKLYN for this very special screening, just days before his show airs!

• Like 1

At least we have the luxury of compartmentalizing Sandler as an animated Dracula. I will say looking at Lugosi's vampire movies  I'd forgotten how many weren't proper Dracula adaptations but knockoffs just barely avoiding proprietary litigation. 

• Like 1

Curse II: The Bite is on right now and boy is this piece of shit a weird one to run into. Basically it's this couple driving around all the time, he got bit at some point by a radioactive snake (?!) and his hand turns into a giant snake head that likes to attack people by going in their mouths (?!?!). This is in between them driving, arguing, and getting in confrontations with hicks including a really realistic backwater sheriff. And it has nothing to do with any of the other Curse films. The SO is played by Jill Schoelen from The Stepfather and Popcorn, who's such a cutie that she got with both Keanu Reeves AND Brad Pitt (who she was engaged to). Anyway, at least I finally know what this one's about after seeing that creepy box cover at the video store for years...

MV5BNDY1YjQ0MjYtYTM4Mi00N2I1LTk5OTEtODA2

EDIT: The end is actually kinda gnarly. Basically hubby starts vomiting snakes, his eyes fall out and finally his head splits backward and a giant snake crawls out -- some really dim but gross practical effects. Some duffer shoots the giant snake, and then it just ends! Well, at least we got those FX, and a concrete and/or sewage covered Schoelen in her skivvies. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Little Monsters (with Howey Mandel -- remember that one?) and the Mimic trilogy are airing on El Rey Saturday

I caught Little Monsters last night and that was a pretty fun one to watch.  Plus you also get the Savage Brothers together which is crazy to see just how young they were before their respective shows.  I didn't see it upcoming in the guide but hope they air it again so I can show my wife (should have DVRed it)