DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

People hated the idea of a Suspiria reboot enough as it was.  Now there is a trailer with Dakota Johnson in it..

The Bloody Disgusting discussion forum must be overflowing with rage.

Finally saw the trailer and it looks intriguing. That said, I don't care if it's close enough to be a ripoff -- get your own title, make your own movie. "Remaking" Suspiria is like "remaking" Casablanca to horror fans, at least this horror fan. And it's not even my favorite Argento OR Three Mothers film! 

• Like 1

Wow, the movie adaptation of Stephen King's Cell is on Showtime Networks this month and boy is it not good.  John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson really mail it in and the ending is all, "Fuck it, let's go with the Brazil finish like Repo Men and Sucker Punch did."

29 minutes ago, Control said:

People said the same thing about Veronica.  It was an excellent movie, but it didn't turn my hair white or anything.

I'm sure Hereditary will be an excellent film, but I'll probably still be able to get a good night's sleep after watching it.

The Black Cat was, as expected, awesome on the big screen. Unfortunately right before the end my recent incision that I had stitches taken out of the other day started to weep (more like gush) so we had to vacate the theater riki-tik. Dad, who drove me (I'm not driving one-armed downtown on a Friday night with drunk twentysomethings wandering in the road) actually liked it, too! Pretty brutal death scenes in this one though it is one of the more low-key Fulci flicks -- the cat scratches were just about as nasty as the lady getting set on fire and falling out a second story window. 

On 6/7/2018 at 1:18 PM, Control said:

On 6/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, J.T. said:

People said the same thing about Veronica.  It was an excellent movie, but it didn't turn my hair white or anything.

I'm sure Hereditary will be an excellent film, but I'll probably still be able to get a good night's sleep after watching it.

So everything I'm seeing about Heriditary makes it seem like a less compact version of The Babadook. Which could be great, but I don't know that they can top the Babadook at being the Babadook. 

On the note of sleep loss though, the only horror film in my adult life to make me lose sleep was actually Paranormal Activity 2 after a first watch in theaters. I've watched it a ton since and had already seen the first, but the scene where everything goes unwound and Kristy gets just brutally dragged into the basement exhibited a helplessness against the supernatural that legitimately got to me. I think Demon Katie's rampage at the end sort of reinforced it. I've watched it several times since and it's fine now, but damn if that first time didn't make my next day at work a sleep deprived shitshow.

I guess I will pimp J-Horror when I say that the only movie endings that frightened me to the point of sleeplessness as an adult was NOROI: The Curse.

I found the montage ending of Uzumaki to be more unsettling and weird than actually scary.  The incidental music and the end also creeped me out.

I didn't sleep after the first time I saw The Exorcist, but I was like twelve at the time.

Of all things, The Car really creeped me out as a kid. 

If you want to call them horror, I messed myself in college by cramming in both film and book versions of Silence and Red Dragon/Manhunter in 4 days. 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:09 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So everything I'm seeing about Heriditary makes it seem like a less compact version of The Babadook. Which could be great, but I don't know that they can top the Babadook at being the Babadook.

Color me Babashook ...

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, I think I will try to see a matinee of Hereditary on Thursday if I can hold to my schedule of chores and get the power washing of my deck done early.

Watched Hereditary on Sunday and took care of power washing my deck/house today. All is well until this time next year when the power washing needs to be repeated.

17 hours ago, driver said:

Watched Hereditary on Sunday and took care of power washing my deck/house today. All is well until this time next year when the power washing needs to be repeated.

It should be noted that power washing is fun as a motherfucker and if you've never power washed your deck, driveway, concrete steps, whatever, go rent a proper gas-powered powerwasher and get to it.

The only time I didn't enjoy it was when I had to pressure wash the underside of a deck, which is essentially like standing in the rain for an hour.

I keep thinking about taking the plunge and buying one but $300 or so for a decent one is a little rich for my blood.