DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

More IT!:  Chapter 2 casting:

Andy Bean will play the older Stanley Uris.  Wyatt Oleff played Stan as a child in Chapter One.

James Ransone announced in a quickly deleted Tweet yesterday that he'd been cast as the older Eddie Kaspbrak.  Jack Dylan Grazer played Eddie as a child in Chapter One.

Bean and Ransone will join Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, and Bill Hader, who play Beverly, Bill, and Richie, respectively, and Bill Skarsgard will naturally return to play Pennywise the Dancing Clown.

Marrowbone - A new movie by the writer of The Orphanage.  The big twist at the end was a bit weak but everything leading up to it was entertaining and sufficiently creepy.

Primal Rage - No this isn't based on the SNES fighting game with dinosaurs, but rather a creature survival horror movie featuring a sasquatch as the antagonist. The monster is more than just some mindless beast and it's tied into some Native American superstitions as well.  Nothing groundbreaking but solid for what it is.

Revenge - I don't know why they didn't try to shoehorn this into that new I Spit On Your Grave series as it's basically the same plot.  The cinematography is actually very good for this sort of movie.  It takes place in the desert and they did a nice job capturing the isolation and remoteness of the location.  A lot of the more graphic scenes are also a lot more visceral and painful looking than the standard gore scenery.

2 hours ago, Control said:

What are the chances that, like NYMPHOMANIAC, this is an extended allegory of Being an Artist?

Same as the number of walkouts it caused at Cannes: over 100.

• Like 2

I am convinced that Lars von Trier thinks that everyone in his audience is dumb, otherwise he wouldn't go into such grotesque detail in order to get over a simple point. 

Von Trier obviously has enough artistic credibility to get someone like Uma Thurman to work with him.  Why, I have no idea.

Mom and Dad is pretty great. Really fine performances and paced extremely well. I hope Nicolas Cage keeps working with Brian Taylor because their sensibilities mesh very well and it seems to reinvigorate Cage. It also has a vintage 70s-style opening credits sequence that Tarantino should envy.

I liked Mom & Dad for what it was aka an excuse for Nicholas Cage to go completely bonkers.  Selma Blair nearly steals the movie.

I think your enjoyment of the movie will depend on how easily offended you are by the premise.

I do not offend easily, so I was perfectly fine with everything.

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Selma Blair nearly steals the movie.

I never really thought much of her, but between this and Dark Horse it's like she grew into a really tremendous actress while no one was looking. I also thought the kids did a good job of walking a fine line of having to be selfish and obnoxious enough to create believable tension with the parents without turning the audience on them. 

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I've seen people who were really disappointed they didn't go all the way with that hospital scene, but... it's supposed to be fun, right?

The hospital scene came dangerously close to pushing one of my dealbreaker buttons.

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I've seen people who were really disappointed they didn't go all the way with that hospital scene, but... it's supposed to be fun, right?

I read an interview with Taylor where he said he was sure that going all the way in that scene would turn the audience on the movie, so he wanted to just skirt as close to it as possible. The version in the movie is apparently a reshoot that added the scalpel and digitally placed the actual baby's face onto the prop to increase the element of danger. I'd say it's about the most fun movie it could possibly be given the subject matter. I'd definitely have tapped if the scene had gone differently. 

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Von Trier obviously has enough artistic credibility to get someone like Uma Thurman to work with him.  Why, I have no idea.

From the looks of the trailer 4 or 5 days of shooting and a free trip to Cannes.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hopefully going to see this tomorrow night if my friend I'm going with is off work. Looks good to me

Oh, and just to boast once again: the Art is showing Fulci's The Black Cat next week. 

The new limited release hasn't shown anywhere near me yet. :(

There are still showings of A Quiet Place in one or two theaters close to my house, though.

Watched The Void last night after posts in the previous horror thread hyped me up for it. Loved it. Some budget issue stuff but terrific writing and an absolutely wild plot and pace made it land super well. The practical effects gave me Hellraiser and Event Horizon vibes too. So awesome.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Watched The Void last night after posts in the previous horror thread hyped me up for it. Loved it. Some budget issue stuff but terrific writing and an absolutely wild plot and pace made it land super well. The practical effects gave me Hellraiser and Event Horizon vibes too. So awesome.

Curt and I watched it around the same time when it was out in limited release in theaters.  I also loved the old school special effects.

Soooo creepy.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Hopefully going to see this tomorrow night if my friend I'm going with is off work. Looks good to me

Oh, and just to boast once again: the Art is showing Fulci's The Black Cat next week. 

Saw this a month or so ago and it completely blew me away. Absolutely fantastic movie.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, Control said:

Hammer’s The Vampire Lovers on blu for $10.

YES~!

Looks like it will be ramen for lunch for the next couple of days to cover the cost of the ten bucks I just paid for this Blu-Ray.

I don't really care about the quality even if it is bad.  It will serve its purpose of sitting on my shelf until there is a better transfer.

Hereditary is apparently not only scary as all fuck, but is also 98% Fresh on RT after 42 reviews.  I'll have to check this out over the weekend.

Definitely an early matinee since I am working graveyard until next Wednesday.

• Like 1