DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Arguably the best known Dario Argento Italian horror film. I will leave it to the horror experts like curt and JT to say if it is his best film. 

It's not.  I have always been partial to Tenebrae and for some reason I love Trauma, probably because the serial killer antagonist has arguably the most ridiculous signature murder weapon I have ever seen in a movie.

17 hours ago, (BP) said:

Yeah, it's a "reimagining" where the Phantom isn't disfigured, he's just an abandoned baby raised by rats in sort of a Danny Devito Penguin scenario. But he also puts them down his pants and imagines them as humanoid rat people in weird fantasy sequences. There's also an orgy involving the sort of people featured on HBO's Real Sex (i.e. people you don't want to see in an orgy.) And late Argento wouldn't be complete without a graphic sex scene featuring his own daughter. 

Good fucking lord, how I have never heard of that before I can't believe, and how I wish I had never heard of it now. 

The only mildly decent thing Argento has put out since The Stendhal Syndrome was Mother of Tears and that was hot trash, albeit fun hot trash. 

Caught Blumhouse's Truth Or Dare yesterday on a whim, and it was better than anticipated. I thought the characters were decently fleshed out, and it was paced pretty well. I thought it would just be a bunch of jump scares, but it was decent. 

• Like 1

I will have to go check it out then.

I'll be honest, the stupid grins on the faces of the spiritual entities in the first trailer really gave me a bad impression.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I will have to go check it out then.

I'll be honest, the stupid grins on the faces of the spiritual entities in the first trailer really gave me a bad impression.

Yeah, that part is corny for sure, but I went into the movie with low expectations, and I was surprised at how decent it was. I don’t know that it’s a classic or anything but it was a pleasant way to spend 2 hours, especially if you have Moviepass.

• Thanks 1

Happy Death Day 2 is happening

Jessica Rothe is back to reprise her role so spoiler I guess.

The 2nd movie will pick up right where the 1st one ends and will supposedly answer questions about the 1st movie's time loop.

Christopher Landon is supposedly back to direct.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Happy Death Day 2 is happening

Jessica Rothe is back to reprise her role so spoiler I guess.

The 2nd movie will pick up right where the 1st one ends and will supposedly answer questions about the 1st movie's time loop.

Christopher Landon is supposedly back to direct.

This makes me sad.  Some things are better left unexplained.

Marc Bernardin was one of the writers on Castle Rock, which has me pretty pumped for it. He's one of the most eloquent, unpretentious film and television critics I've ever come across, and he's a great storyteller in his own right.

• Like 1

Just to brag, here in Champaign lives indie horror director Jessie Seitz (Devotion) and she's started programming at the Art Theater. We just got (funny coincidence) Suspiria last night which my buddy said was packed -- nearly standing room only -- and a blast. After that she's hooked up Texas Chainsaw 2 (!!!) and then, get this... BRAIN DAMAGE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). People will probably end up throwing popcorn at me from quoting TCM2 from memory so I better keep food or drink in my mouth at all times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Marc Bernardin was one of the writers on Castle Rock, which has me pretty pumped for it. He's one of the most eloquent, unpretentious film and television critics I've ever come across, and he's a great storyteller in his own right.

Yeah, he's one of the reasons I'm going to have to bum my sister's Hulu account for a week to binge watch.

• Like 1

I think I will skip Bad Samaritan. 

I like the idea of David Tennant being the antagonist because he really seems to enjoy playing psychotic bad guys, but the movie seems to have used a burglary gone awry plot without doing anything original with the gimmick like Don't Breathe or The Collector did.

Watched Veronica last night. Really liked it. It didn't have quite as much punch as I expected, coming from [.REC] but the slow build of dread and character stuff more than made up for it. It had a lot of the usual horror trope setups but they did such a good job establishing the character and how deeply she cares for her family that you *get* why she'd rush headlong into danger for them, even as she's basically in tears from terror. I didn't think much of the big scares but there was so much great haunting imagery and slow building dread bits that it still lands as a really strong horror film overall. 

• Like 1

My wife's boss tours with the Walker Stalker con as a tattoo artist, so he gets a bunch of those horror nerd box services for free. She brought home some neat stuff he had doubles of. 

Spoiler

28splwm.jpg

dfysfs.jpg

29zo7yv.jpg

27zvk0.jpg

• Like 1

If I had any of those Fangoria pins or especially a full set of Fright Flicks cards I would die a happy man.

The Fright Flicks cards -- can you imagine any other world than the American late '80s where somehow those were socially permissible to give to little kids?! Well...

card2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Watched Veronica last night. Really liked it. It didn't have quite as much punch as I expected, coming from [.REC] but the slow build of dread and character stuff more than made up for it. It had a lot of the usual horror trope setups but they did such a good job establishing the character and how deeply she cares for her family that you *get* why she'd rush headlong into danger for them, even as she's basically in tears from terror. I didn't think much of the big scares but there was so much great haunting imagery and slow building dread bits that it still lands as a really strong horror film overall. 

I found Veronica to be very similar, yet different, than [REC]

Paco Plaza loves his supernatural undertones and Catholic references, but [REC] is far more visceral and deliberate than Veronica.

Plaza doesn't really telegraph the plot twist, but I've seen so many horror and suspense films that I kinda figured it out halfway through.

Even so, it tops my Best Horror on Netflix short list.

1. Veronica

2. Gerald's Game

3. The Ritual

4. Hush

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke are in the cast.  I'm already there.

Get Out set a ridiculous standard so I hope Jordan is ready for what's to come.  There are going to be huge expectations.

• Like 2

Texas Chainsaw 2 was pretty awesome on the big screen. It got some appropriate laughter from the small crowd that was there. A couple even came in with the guy wearing a TCM2 shirt, which was cool. (Boy, talk about a pair of trolls... not like I'm exactly the best catch but jeez. They resembled a mutated brother-sister offspring) One thing I never noticed before was the skeleton riding the bomb a la Dr. Strangelove hanging from the ceiling at one point. My buddy Austin showed up and actually proclaimed it a bad movie. When asked if it was at least entertaining he said yes, but it was still bad. Some people...

The only regret I have is buying a Hamm's instead of a fucking Shiner Bock to drink during the movie (yes, this theater has a liquor license -- just to rub it in a little harder)

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised by how not dumb that Truth or Dare was.  I burned some time at the movies while my boo was out shopping with her sister on Saturday.

Go in with low expectations and you will not hate yourself.

It's not the greatest horror movie ever made, but I do not understand why the reviews are so savage.  I'd reserve that kind of scorn for something that truly insulted me on every level.

• Like 1