DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I think more than anything the bonus disc is what I would want there. Give me more vintage promotional stuff. It's like how I'd totally buy any Burton/Schumacher Bat-film collection with the OnStar ads. I know most of that stuff in on Youtube and the like now, but having it compiled and in best possible quality would be great.

Yeah, that guy uploaded the uncensored British versions of Asylum, Vault of Horror, AND Tales from the Crypt.

With the new Amicus re-issue collection coming out that you mentioned earlier, the YouTube license Nazis will probably put those posts in gulag pretty soon.

I watched Insidious: The Last Key over the weekend and it was not good at all.  I enjoyed the previous three but this one was just bad.  Dull plot, not scary at all, and some of the acting was on par with The Room.  Any expository, "not horror" scene where two human beings are talking to each other in broad daylight feels like it was shot in one take with half a script by aliens in human bodies who had never actually had human interaction before.  Just so awkward and bizarre.

There were two fun little fakeouts where the person you think is a ghost actually isn't, and a quick, neat tie-in to the first film (because this is a prequel), but really not much else and nothing I'd recommend unless you're a completist or masochist.

It's funny how Blumhouse fell ass-backwards into respectability with Get Out.  They're going to preface all their  horror schlock -- whether good, bad, or dirt-worst -- with "from the studio that brought you Get Out" until the end of time.

Man, I must be the only horror fan who thinks Suspiria is overrated. It gets talked about like it’s up there with The Exorcist or The Shining, but I don’t even think it’s one of Argentio’s better movies.

Trippy colours, though. Far out.

• Like 1

I give Suspiria a shot every couple of years, but I don't get it. I'm not that high on Argento anyway, but I found Opera to be a much better movie. He's probably technically more proficient than Fulci, but I like the effect Fulci's productions achieved more for some reason. That soundtrack by Goblin is really cool though. 

• Like 1

I guess my opinion differs slightly. I think that Suspiria is worthy of all of the praise it gets, but I think that Dario Argento is a slightly overrated director.

I believe that Mario Bava is the real auteur of Giallo.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 12:13 PM, Technico Support said:

It's funny how Blumhouse fell ass-backwards into respectability with Get Out.  They're going to preface all their  horror schlock -- whether good, bad, or dirt-worst -- with "from the studio that brought you Get Out" until the end of time.

I mean, they were the studio that brought you Paranormal Activity, then the studio that brought you Insidious...etc.

Basically they release a big hit, then coast on the success of it for their sequels and new stuff. It seems to be working out pretty well for them, all told. If BlacKkKlansman wins the Palme d'Or I'm sure it'll be all over their marketing for the next 2-5 years.

• Like 1

Argento has the disadvantage of living well past the rest of his peers and continuing to work. Everything I've seen from him in the last few decades has been embarrassing, and I know I've said it on here before, but that Phantom of the Opera adaptation where Julian Sands has sex with rats is one of the most reprehensible productions of anything I've ever seen. 

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I have never heard of Suspiria. What is it?

Arguably the best known Dario Argento Italian horror film. I will leave it to the horror experts like curt and JT to say if it is his best film. 

American woman joins German ballet academy. Then things happen...

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Argento has the disadvantage of living well past the rest of his peers and continuing to work. Everything I've seen from him in the last few decades has been embarrassing, and I know I've said it on here before, but that Phantom of the Opera adaptation where Julian Sands has sex with rats is one of the most reprehensible productions of anything I've ever seen. 

Ah......wait just a doggone minute......what the shit?

40 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Ah......wait just a doggone minute......what the shit?

Yeah, it's a "reimagining" where the Phantom isn't disfigured, he's just an abandoned baby raised by rats in sort of a Danny Devito Penguin scenario. But he also puts them down his pants and imagines them as humanoid rat people in weird fantasy sequences. There's also an orgy involving the sort of people featured on HBO's Real Sex (i.e. people you don't want to see in an orgy.) And late Argento wouldn't be complete without a graphic sex scene featuring his own daughter.