DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Hey!  Someone posted the uncut UK version of Amicus's The Vault of Horror on the YouTube!

90 minute runtime should keep me going until 4AM and I brew more coffee.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:18 AM, J.T. said:

I failed in my attempt to go see Unsane last night.  I spent most of the day comatose in prep for coming to work tonight and the other parts of the day I spent straightening up around my folk's house while my mom enjoyed some well deserved pampering at the beauty salon.

Saw it last weekend.  I'd say it's skippable.  More thriller than horror and Soderbergh's directing style is just too clinical for a movie that needs to be visceral, although it has its moments.

• Like 1

^^^ I REALLY need to watch that. It's a terrible blindspot in my Amicus watching. 

Dusted off The Abominable Dr. Phibes last night, btw, and it's still good as ever. Now will I ever get around to Dr. Phibes Rises Again? We'll see what the night brings. 

You may have heard that Joe Bob made an announcement last night at the Chattanooga Film Fest...it’s true! JOE BOB’S COMING BACK TO TV! He’s gonna be hosting a 24 HOUR MOVIE MARATHON on Shudder. That’s right, 24 hours of Joe Bob’s intros, outros, and OF COURSE the drive-in totals. It’ll start on a Friday in June, although we don’t know which Friday yet. We’ll be posting more info soon. Spread the word, and, as always, preciate the support.

From joe bob Briggs Facebook 

• Like 2

Note: If you're into Sci-Fi and anime and nerd-culture stuff, you can get Shudder as part of the VRV Ultimate. It's like $10/month and includes

Shudder

CrunchyRoll

DramaFever

Nerdist

Mubi

Geek & Sundry

Cartoon Hangover

and a couple of other services.  It's a good deal as most of these are $5-10 each on their own. I already have Shudder from a sale they did or I might do this.

• Like 1

I'm going to check out a matinee of A Quiet Place sometime this week barring my daughter's soccer games and my dad starting shit with the orderlies at his orthopedic rehab center.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, piranesi said:

I already have Shudder from a sale they did or I might do this.

I am also a Shudder subscriber, so I may have to check out that package.  For a while there, Shudder was the only place you could see Rob Zombie's 31.  Depending on how you feel about 31, that was either good news or bad news.

Joe Bob's 24 hour movie marathon will air on Shudder TV on JUNE 22. That's right...dusk to dawn to dusk to almost dawn with Joe Bob introducing and interrupting the movies, just like he used to do in the good old days. The Mail Girl will be back, and he'll also have some very special guests.

• Like 1

A Quiet Place is fucking awesome.  The climax is such a gut punch. 

It reminded me a little of The Mist, because watching people try to assume their traditional familial roles and try to keep their sanity by engaging in "normal" things with all of that peril going on is hard to watch. Sooooo fucking heartbreaking.

In news that will surprise no one, I wept buckets.

Million billion stars.

Casting news for IT!:  Chapter Two!

James McAvoy and Bill Hader are in negotiations to join Jessica Chastain in It: Chapter Two.

The second installment of New Line’s adaptation of Stephen King’s It focuses on the adult versions of the characters that were subjected to the terror of demon clown Pennywise, last seen in the 2017 movie that grossed $700 million worldwide.

If the deals are made, McAvoy would play the role of the adult Bill Denbrough, the unofficial leader of the group of kids nicknamed the Losers Club, who grows up to be a successful author. When he returns to face his past, his old stutter resurfaces. Jaeden Lieberher played the character in the first movie. Hader would play the adult Richie Tozier, the jokester who grows up to be a DJ. Finn Wolfhard played the character in the first installment.

Chastain is already on board to play Beverly Marsh, the group’s lone female member who as an adult ends up in an abusive marriage. Bill Skarsgard will return as Pennywise.

The kid actors from the movie, Lieberher and Wolfhard among them, are expected to return for the second chapter in flashback scenes.

It: Chapter Two is scheduled to begin production in July and is set to be released in theaters by Warner Bros. on Sept. 6, 2019.

Andy Muschietti and Gary Dauberman are back as director and screenwriter, respectively.

Barbara Muschietti, Dan Lin and Roy Lee are producing. Executive producing are Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg.

McAvoy last year starred in the hit horror movie Split and appeared with Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde. The actor, repped by UTA and United Agents, next stars in X-Men: Dark Phoenix and the Split follow-up Glass.

Former Saturday Night Live cast member Hader currently stars in HBO’s Barry, a dark comedy about a hitman moving through Los Angeles' acting classes scene. The show has received rave reviews and was just renewed for a second season. Hader is repped by UTA. 

YES~!

Principle filming begins this July in Toronto!

4 hours ago, turk128 said:

Is Dead Snow worth watching? I mean, besides the premise.

It's tongue-in-cheek gory horror that definitely doesn't take itself seriously.  It's a good time.  There's much worse out there.

I'll never forget when I first saw it, in a sold out theater with no air conditioning in the middle of August on one of the hottest days of summer.  Snack bar was verging on selling out of anything cold.

• Like 1

I kinda wonder if the first trailer for it will be set to "Hurt" by Johnny Cash.  It would be aces, though, if it was the "Hurt" redux of Cash's version by Reznor on piano.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2018 at 1:50 AM, Curt McGirt said:

How the fuck are you gonna steal the name from a movie as good as Ravenous?! It's even a horror film, it's not like they didn't know!

On 3/29/2018 at 2:01 AM, J.T. said:

Yes, when I initially heard that Ravenous was on Netflix, I immediately thought of the old Wendigo joint and got excited.

When I heard that the Ravenous movie in the queue was another indie zombie movie, I was a little crestfallen.

I love my wife, but nothing has ever been more disappointing than showing her and some friends Ravenous and them just HATING it. Thinking the weird discordant soundtrack was silly rather than unsettling, hating the acting...I genuinely spent years thinking I was just some weird outlier for liking it, so thanks for reaffirming me here folks.

• Like 2