DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, GojiColin said:

I picked this box set up, it works in all regions.  The colors are gorgeous, probably the best any of these films have looked since release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammer-One-Warning-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B074JS3XDN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522022248&sr=8-3&keywords=hammer+horror+blu+ray

That looks great but 43 pounds is $80 and that’s a bit pricey for a blind buy. Will have to put it on a watch list and hope it comes down in price.

option two: YouTube 

8 minutes ago, Control said:

That looks great but 43 pounds is $80 and that’s a bit pricey for a blind buy. Will have to put it on a watch list and hope it comes down in price.

Option three: TCM app, since I think some of the high profile pictures are in their archive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Option three: TCM app, since I think some of the high profile pictures are in their archive. 

TCM app also has some high profile Amicus horror movies in the archive.

3 hours ago, Control said:

The uncut (re. naughty) original theatrical version of Vampire Circus is on the Youtubes.

22 hours ago, Control said:

Oh I totally understand that, but I wanted to get that link out there in case you end up wanting more.  I've loved Hammer films for ages, I even managed to get my hands on some promotional photos used in the old Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GojiColin said:

Oh I totally understand that, but I wanted to get that link out there in case you end up wanting more.  I've loved Hammer films for ages, I even managed to get my hands on some promotional photos used in the old Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines.

Oooh. I just found an old issue of the short-lived Modern Monsters Magazine at a little thrift store near me for $5. It has this guy inside which was easily worth the fiver.

9LA1PlW.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Anyone get a chance to see Unsane?  Will probably go see it during the upcoming long weekend.  I was going to check it out last night but then remembered the NJPW show was on.

I may get Thursday off if this training exercise concludes early.  I will probably catch an early evening show if I don't have to go into the coma in prep for night shift.

I finally got around to Victor Crowley. Holy fuck it looks like they shot it for about $5,000 grand. It's pretty bad. Way more comedy than it needed, and, at least for me, a lot of it didn't land. I'm disappointed.

Spoiler

The stinger is great

On 3/25/2018 at 11:32 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm just gonna recommend The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.

It's not exactly good, but I guarantee you haven't seen anything quite like it.

I totally remember this flic! It's one of the most zany cross genre stuff I've seen (second only to Fantasy Mission Force).

• Like 1

My Netflix Queue of Shame has been reduced by one move as of now.

Paco Plaza's new supernatural joint, Veronica, is not as scary as advertised (caveat: not if you are used to horror movies and have all of the lights on...), but it is pretty fucking terrifying and really really good.

The payoff scenes will stick with you for a good little while.  The imagery is unsettling to say the least.

One spoilery thing to mention:

Spoiler

The twist is the same twist as the one in Hide & Seek with Robert Di Niro, but it works better here with demons as opposed to the Hollywood version of how mental illness is supposed to work..

That's all I will say and even that may have given away the entire plot..

Sandra Escanena is great in the titular role and Paco Plaza knows how to manipulate a horror movie audience.  There are moments when you will literally scream WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT SHIT~?? at your television and it will be great.

Apparently there is also some new indie zombie movie on Netflix named Ravenous that I will also have to check out soon

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

How the fuck are you gonna steal the name from a movie as good as Ravenous?! It's even a horror film, it's not like they didn't know!

Yes, when I initially heard that Ravenous was on Netflix, I immediately thought of the old Wendigo joint and got excited.

When I heard that the Ravenous movie in the queue was another indie zombie movie, I was a little crestfallen.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was talking about the cannibal picture, didn't know there was a Wendigo one. So there's three now?

EDIT: nevermind, I forgot all about the Wendigo subtext in the movie

Ha!  I know a lot of people who have read so many Hulk comics over the years that they have forgotten the Native American mythological origins of the Wendigo.

When I talked about Ravenous back in the day being awesome and making reference to the Wendigo, they fully expected to see some Yeti looking creature as the monster antagonist and they were quite pissed off that it was only a movie about normal people getting super powers by eating human flesh.

The basis of the Hulk villain and the movie are both linked to the folklore surrounding Wendigo curse and use cannibalism as the trigger.

I failed in my attempt to go see Unsane last night.  I spent most of the day comatose in prep for coming to work tonight and the other parts of the day I spent straightening up around my folk's house while my mom enjoyed some well deserved pampering at the beauty salon.

This also reminded me that Robert Carlyle has had two great leading roles in horror films: Ravenous as well as 28 Weeks Later. 

Of course, for better or for worse, he'll always be Franco to me

And yes, when I think Wendigo I think of a giant white-haired snow monster 

57 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Planet of the Vampire worth checking out? Like I've seen it ages ago and don't remember much but for the costumes.

Planet of the Vampires is a pulp horror masterpiece in all of its campy glory.. 

Light sci-fi confection that you would not expect from Mario Bava and oh yeah by the way Ridley Scott MIGHT have lifted a little bit of the plot for Alien.

• Like 1