DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I just watched the first episode of Butcher's Block. I love this show. They always deliver character driven horror fleshed out by great actors. I forgot Rutger Hauer was in it and lost it when he popped up. He's weirdly aged into looking just like an older Kirk Douglas. For some reason I've always felt horror was the best at exploring economic crises and anxiety. The stuff with the dying city reminded me of Reagan-era depictions of cities in horror movies. 

My thoughts on Butchers Block, Episode 3:

Spoiler
  • Man, they snuffed Alice's co-worker.  I suppose the killing off of characters you thought were important to the story is starting off now since I think this season is only six episodes long.
  • I knew that Peach's mental bullshit would come with a price. Zoe' emotional disorder may be "cured" but now she's indoctrinated into the Peach family and now hungers for human flesh. 
  • I hate to be nerdist about this, but the Peach family reminds me of the Nagaraja clan of vampires from Vampire:  The Masquerade being that they sustain their immortality through cannibalism instead of traditional blood drinking and their method of survival causes them to take on more extreme view of the people = cattle view of humans than their undead counterparts.
  • I am beginning to suspect that the reporter isn't on the up and up.  Either she is working with the Peach family or she is a member of the family herself.  Her interest in taxidermy is suspect.
  • I fucking marked when Deputy Vanczyk gave Asshole Peach dude what was coming to him.  Now I fear for his life as serious reprecussions will obviously follow.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, Curt McGirt said:

THE CURED (dir. David Freyne, feat. Ellen Page)

This might be the cure for bad zombie shit

Saw this last September at TIFF.  It's good, but they spam jump scares hard.  Like there are probably 20+.  I would love to get an actual count.

I will probably go and check it out, but it does bug me that The Cured seems to have all of the awesome qualities of Warm Bodies without the black humor that helped balance it.

It is cool to note the parallels between The Cured and movies like Brothers, First Blood, or The Deer Hunter that show the difficulties that can occur when traumatized people try to re-integrate themselves into society.

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/daily-grindhouse-interview-david-freyne-director-cured/

Well, shit. I might end up watching it anyway. I just hate jump scares

Like I said above, I love the "No, really, I'm feeling much better now," societal integration gone horribly awry aspect of this movie.

Can you really give someone a pass when they tried to eat your kid's brain?

Let bygones be bygones, my ass.

Eric Knudsen aka Victor Surge aka the actual fucking creator of the Slender Man wrote the script for the Slender Man movie coming out in August so I may go and see that thing after all.

So, this latest episode of Bucher's Block.

Spoiler

Alice in Slaughterland was a great title for an otherwise filler episode.  Lots of world building going on in this episode that I sorta hoped would've happened a little earlier, but then you wouldn't be asking yourself questions like why in the fuck does Zoe still carry around the knife her mother used to stab her?  Is her mother even real?  Is she a disassociative personality belonging to one of the sisters?  If so, which one; Zoe or Alice?  Was the stabbing incident real?  Did Zoe try to harm herself while assuming the persona of her own mother or was it Alice that went batshit insane and stabbed Zoe. 

When the mother kept repeating that she "wasn't herself" in the first episode, was that actually Zoe or Alice talking?

The mythology in the middle thing is just prepping us for the swerve (fattening us for the kill?) due in the third act.

This episode not only had the titular Through The Looking Glass deal going on (Izzy = White Rabbit, duh!), but it also had a bit of the Persephone myth thrown in for good measure.  Zoe doesn't eat what she's offered in the cannibal parallel dimension so she's about as okay as a budding eater of human flesh can be, but Alice cheerfully toasts to family and drinks a glass probably filled with blood, so she is screwed and will be the one in need of saving when it's all said and done.

I'm curious about the true nature of the mysterious meat man that we haven't seen since the second episode.  Obviously he's the force behind the alternate reality and the Peach family's serial immortality and he is the "landlord" that is a "bit of a prick" that Joseph Peach refers to. 

There is definitely some sort of pending deadline that the Peaches have to meet in order to satisfy mysterious meat man (the cryptic "the rent is coming due" comment from the younger Peach brother during the lunch scene). So do the Peach family only have a certain amount of time to convert Zoe and Alice into surrogate Peach family members, or is something else going on?  How Is Izzy (the little girl) involved?  Is she also going to become a Peach family member or will she be turned into one of the little dwarf things that seem to serve as the meat man's servants?

So many questions with only two episodes left to answer them.

Finally, I'm totally bummed that Deputy Vanczyk apparently got offed by his own dad.  I knew that the Sheriff was in the Peach's pocket, but I didn't know how deep.  Now that Deputy Vanczyk and the social worker dude are both dead or at least mortally wounded and dead, the number of characters I was hoping would pull shining knight to the rescue duty is dwindling.

I'm also guessing that the blood gushing from Deputy Vanczyks throat will somehow reconstitute the dismembered Robert Peach, but we'll have to wait until next week to find out.

• Like 2

Lots of table setting in this episode in prep for next week's finale of Syfy's Channel Zero:  BUCHER'S BLOCK~!.

Spoiler
  • LUKE IS ALIVE~!  HOLY SHIT~!
  • I have to take back the mean things I thought about Louise.  She was the goods.
  • So in addition to the family dysfunction theme, I have noted that there is yet another common thread between all of the seasons of Channel Zero and that is the question of "What is the true price of immortality?"
  • Every season we've seen broken people being tempted with the promise of an eternal life without pain, but the cost is steep.  Mike's brother got to stay a boy forever, but he's under the control of a malevolent force that consumes the souls of children.  Margot got the chance to be with her father again inside the timeless No-End House, but it would cost her all of her memories. And now we have Alice who only has to eat human flesh if she want to stay happy, sane, and undying.
  • What a hard choice the sisters have.  Embrace the cycle of insanity inherited from their mother or embrace the Peach family's brand of cannibalistic deathlessness.
  • We're also learning more and more about the god that the Peach family serves.  An old school quid pro quo chthonic horror that grants boons in exchange for the worst forms of sacrifice.  A force we've seen in a lot of movies that we never get tired of.  The meat man really creeps me out.
  • It will be interesting to see what happens in the finale.  Unlike most horror themed materiel, we don't have a set of protagonists who share a unity of purpose.  Can these folks work together or will the Peach family triumph when the folks trying to save us trip up over themselves?  We'll tune in next week to find out.

Finally got down to watching Train to Busan like everyone recommended me to... I was really hesitated in how they could hold the premise for the 2 hour run time. Totally worth the watch, thou.

The biggest surprise was how believable  everything was: from how they handled the zombies to various reactions from  people who's  lizard brain took over. I'm looking forward to the sequel, hopefully they do better than 28 Weeks Later. The ridiculous premise already got me intrigue....

Spoiler

the father is back

I also want a live adaptation of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress now.

Finally got around to watching Kill, Baby, Kill! by Bava today. Excellent, as he always is, and another notch on the list of ghost films I actually like. Neat little twist at the end and gobs of atmosphere, with some nods to Hitchcock as well, and one truly trippy scene of a guy chasing himself over and over and over again through a door until he stops and turns back with a smile on his face at himself. Very little blood, even though part of the premise is based on blood, surprisingly. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah, that's the new joint from Paco Plaza which is why you see [REC] being used at the benchmark even though they are very different films. Both movies deal with supernatural horror, but [REC] has a more apocalyptic feel while I have heard that Veronica is a more personal story.

I am impressed that Corey Graves appears to be an accomplished fear geek

A lot of real life has piled on me lately so I am a little behind on my horror watching.  I still need to watch this and the season finale of Channel Zero.

The creepiest thing about Veronica is that apparently it is "based on real events"

The news reports about the Valecas case en Espanol have also been posted to YouTube.

Ghost Theory, my favorite real life weird shit wiki, has an excellent article on the case

I will try to watch it soon and review it here on DVDVR.  If it manages to scare me, then it is legit scary.

I finally got around to watching the season finale of Channel Zero!

Spoiler
  • The irony of Alice's life was sad.  As Zoe said, she spent her life trying to protect her sanity only to give it away to the Peach family.  The Pestilent God punishing her for the Peach family's collective transgression by driving her insane was particularly cruel and the epilogue scene when she's in the asylum with her mother was so bittersweet.
  • I did like the part where Alice devoured her student loan debt collector.  That was an awesome callback to a running theme.
  • I knew Alice had fully turned over to the dark side when she was down with The Peach's sacrificing Izzy. How can you try to make a career out of protecting the less fortunate, yet you are perfectly willing to let a child die so that you can be protected yourself?  Yet another irony of this great story.
  • Joseph Peach ghost mode fucking freaked me out. 
  • Diane, Zoe, Lucas, and Louise were fucking king sized going into protect mode and rescue mode.
  • I thought that the Pestilent God's punishment would've been a little more spiteful and last longer.  Nope.  He just made everyone explode into bloody pulps.  He gave them all what they feared the most.  The Peach family members were all afraid to die and Alice didn't want to go crazy.
  • So, the dwarf things were servants of the Pestilent God and the Meat Men were Edie's children? Or at least that is my assumption since Joseph mentioned that the God "gave them children" and the only member of the Peach family that seems to get pregnant is Edie.  She goes into labor while she is prepping for the ceremony and she is helped by one of the Meat Men to a spot in the woods.  She finally gives birth and apparently bleeds to death, yet we don't see what the child looked like.  I assumed her kids were the dwarves, but we see one lone Meat Man wandering through the forest during the prologue.  Hmmm.
  • It looks like Nick has learned by the conclusions of Season 1 and Season 2. The ending was a bit more cathartic and far less bleak than the gut punch of Candle Cove.  When the protagonists emerge victorious against the monster in a horror setting, they deserve a small moment of happy ever after.  It was very amusing to see Zoe, Luke, Louise, and Izzy enjoying a nice vegetarian meal as the credits began to roll. :)

I can't really say that I enjoyed this season more than the others or which season is best, because i like them all for completely different reasons.  Syfy is 3 for 3 and Nick Antosca has proven that he is Syfy's best storyteller and showrunner.

We already know from the end of Season 2 that Season 4 will be called Hidden Door, so let's just hope that Nick and crew produce more quality television programming.

• Like 1

Horror of Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Curse of the Werewolf, The Devil Rides Out for starters. After that my favorites are Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Scars of Dracula from what I've seen. People say great things about Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed but it bored me as a kid. I'd also like to recommend all the Quatermass films because they are basically horror as much as sci-fi. 

Must note I've never seen any of the Karnstein films, Hands of the Ripper, or Plague of the Zombies in full from what I still want to see

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Control said:

What are the best Hammer Horror films? I gotta catch a few.

1. Horror of Dracula
  2. Curse of Frankenstein
  3. The Devil Rides Out
  4. Plague of the Zombies
  5. The Gorgon
  6. Curse of the Werewolf
  7. Taste The Blood of Dracula
  8. The Reptile
  9. The Vampire Lovers
  10. Vampire Circus
  11. Twins of Evil
  12. Hands of the Ripper

I haven't seen the middle movie of the Karnstein trilogy (Lust for a Vampire) nor have I seen the weird but highly recommended, Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde..

• Like 1