DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

My current vinyl habit (read: addiction) precludes me spending any extra money trying to fill in the blanks on Fangos. I've already tried hunting out issues of Monsters Attack! and Gore Shriek and Faust and shit, I don't need something I can clearly find that will still burn a hole in my pocket and take up even more space in the back room. 

If I started to do anything of that nature again it would be filling in the blanks on my EC collection when I should just splurge for the goddamned hardcovers someday

2 hours ago, Execproducer said:

So would Dragonslayer, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, etc etc.

910719.jpg

Dammit. And I forgot about Kill Bill getting a cover. 

Watched I, Madman again last night and it was definitely not as good as I remember. In fact, it was quite disappointing for a weird reason

Spoiler

I seriously thought they were gonna go with the corny old twist of it being the woman committing the murders and when they didn't and it was just a real crazy dude, I was baffled. Making it less cliche actually made it worse somehow. 

On deck: Fascination and Kill Baby Kill

IIRC, Fangoria started off as Fantastica aka "the fantasy shit we didn't want to clutter the current edition of Starlog" magazine.  It wasn't unusual to see fantasy or dark sci-fi stuff in Fangoria as it slowly began to shed its Fantasitca identity..

Fangoria really didn't become Fangoria proper until a year or so after the name change and IIRC that was all thanks to several articles covering splatter make up effects for movies featuring Tom Savini and Rick Baker. 

The slasher movie boom is what really helped Fangoria transition away from fantasy into its current horror movie incarnation.

Yeah, Tony Timpone didn't even take over until '85. I never had any problem with them covering anything as long as it was genre, but putting something not-horror as the main cover grinds my gears. 

If you've never heard how they finally folded, phew... it's pretty sad. I don't remember all the details but you can look it up. 

30 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The Ritual on Netflix seems to be getting a good bit of praise. Familiar story but well done, apparently.

Yeah, I like it so far.

Syfy has put the first episode of Channel Zero Season 3 (Butcher's Block) on YouTube.

45 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The Ritual on Netflix seems to be getting a good bit of praise. Familiar story but well done, apparently.

The lost in the woods part is a well worn horror trope but the rest of the reveal is totally fucking bananas.

This movie ranks third in my Favorite Original Horror Movie on Netflix list behind Gerald's Game and Hush (both directed by Mike Flanagan).

Speaking of Mike Flanagan and Stephen King, Mike (on SK's request, no less) has recently agreed to direct the theatrical adaptation of Doctor Sleep aka SK's direct literary sequel to The Shining. 

No word on whether or not Doctor Sleep will join IT! in theaters or Gerald's Game on Netflix.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Let me rephrase that a bit: if you ever made the center cover of Fangoria, you are a horror film. 

a58dcdd146fed600e17b65e3c81810bf--lost-b

Side note: I'm now very pissed that I don't have that issue

Every time I see that image in the upper left corner of melted Emil, my first thought is that Chuck Liddell just got his ass whipped by the Toxic Avenger.

• Haha 2

I decided to watch Wonder Woman on HBO Go after purging my frustrations with Crucible PvP play in Destiny 2 and totally forgot about CZ Ep 2. 

I'll watch it this afternoon on Syfy On Demand and post my thoughts tomorrow morning.

RE: The Underworld movies, I only watched the first three and for all of the clamoring for Kate Beckinsale, I'm partial to Rhona Mitra and that time period.  I think Rise of the Lycans(the prequel) was definitely the best of the bunch, but then again, Michael Sheen is pretty awesome and seeing him clash with Bill Nighy was great.